Thai Banknotes for Sale in Phuket

Walkabout Man

Hello all,
I was reading an article today and there was this article <<<< Link to Bangkok Post removed >>>> talking about how they are going to replace the 1000 Baht notes, Im a bit of a collector of this kind of stuff.
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was some coin and banknote dealers in Phuket. Can I order from dealers in Phuket, has anyone had any experience ordering from the Thai mint and having stuff posted to Phuket?

Or another option is to go to the Thai Mint directly, is it possible to walk into the mint in Bangkok and purchase??

Also I predominantly stick to Aussie Banknotes, but has anyone got any experiences with collecting Thai Banknotes and have they made any money out of it?

Cheers

Edited by metisdead
26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications.

What about getting a few new notes from a bank, after the release, or do you want them in some sort of commemorative packaging?

Once they go to the bank they get downgraded from uncirculated to like a very fine grade, because then they get creases, fingerprints and stuff in them. It can mean the difference of a note being worth thousands of dollars to just a bit above face value.

Also when you go to collectors or the mint you can pick out serial numbers, for example something like AB 123456789 of a first series of 1000 baht or any courency for that matter would be worth an absolute fortune.

Im a novice at it but its quite interesting, have a look at your own countries banking history.

For example in Australia we had pre decimal currency which was British Pounds (which require a lot of study), then we went to decimal paper notes (which is my favourite because I know a little bit about the dates and history of when certain notes were released etc) this is what I grew up with, then Australia moved to Polymer notes which I think are shit.

The thing is with paper is its easier to damage which means that a lot of them in fact do get damaged, thus making the remainder more valuable. Thats why coins (and i believe polymer also) dont increase in value as much, its hard for coins to be lost in fires or damaged by folding etc. If you look at a lot of collectable Aussie notes they go up by about 20% per year. Im interested in getting into Thai notes because they have royal images on them which the Thais consider far more valuable and sacred than Aussies do our queen or others that have appeared on our notes.

The other thing about collecting notes is, that if you say buy a 1000 baht note for 1500 baht and it turns out that you got a dud, then its still worth 1000 baht isnt it? But if you score a good one then it can be worth 10, 20 or 30 times the face value.

Thats the main difference between notes and stamps too, you might get stuck with a 1000 baht note you paid too much for and you can still spend it, but if you buy the wrong stamp you might only be able to lick the back of it and send a letter to Krabi