Powerful bomb thrown into Chao Phraya river beneath Taksin bridge

webfact

Man alive, between them dancing soldiers and bike rides and stuff, one would've thought happiness had been brought back to all concerned. But clearly some jokers never got the memo. Junta needs to do more. First up General PC needs to lighten up a bit on TV. He always looks like he just ate some bad prawn curry. Lighten up man. Tell a few jokes. Like this. "Hey, Thai people, heard this one? A junta, a purty politician, and a tycoon walk into a bar ..."

There you go. Keep the folks in stitches. Ain't nobody going to be throwing no more bombs in that case. They'll be laughing their head off instead of blowing them off other folks. Give it a shot.

Yes yes!!

I was just thinking about how good it was to see so many people wearing the blue t-shirts on bike for mum day.. No divisions of red and yellow all joined together wearing blue. This was a well timed and well planned explosion aimed at injecting a big dose of reality into anyone who might have forgotten what side they were on and why the military is still needed to run the country. I think many will agree with this as I think it is an obvious conclusion. thumbsup.gif

26 posts -please learn about Thailand,

and you will know why the junta have to lead Thailand ,

and have too for a couple of years !!

Cancer you just not solve by a surgery ,

you need therapy, maybee all for your life;

And Thailand my friend, I can tell you have metastases everywhere !!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The latest report from the police is true to form, "he doesn't look like a Thai". From the images they have shown so far you can't tell anything, the guy looks like he is probably Asian to me.

Yeah, I watched the PBS special on the Moken "Sea Gypsies" of Phuket/Phi Phi last night. Some had curly hair. Some looked African. Some looked Chinese. Some looked Thai. Some looked Lao.

Almost everyone in Asia is related from 30,000 - 40,000 years ago...

Man alive, between them dancing soldiers and bike rides and stuff, one would've thought happiness had been brought back to all concerned. But clearly some jokers never got the memo. Junta needs to do more. First up General PC needs to lighten up a bit on TV. He always looks like he just ate some bad prawn curry. Lighten up man. Tell a few jokes. Like this. "Hey, Thai people, heard this one? A junta, a purty politician, and a tycoon walk into a bar ..."

There you go. Keep the folks in stitches. Ain't nobody going to be throwing no more bombs in that case. They'll be laughing their head off instead of blowing them off other folks. Give it a shot.

Yes yes!!

I was just thinking about how good it was to see so many people wearing the blue t-shirts on bike for mum day.. No divisions of red and yellow all joined together wearing blue. This was a well timed and well planned explosion aimed at injecting a big dose of reality into anyone who might have forgotten what side they were on and why the military is still needed to run the country. I think many will agree with this as I think it is an obvious conclusion. thumbsup.gif

A Cancer that has eaten away at Freedom of Speech & assembly brainwashed millions into a "propaganda loving machine" When you keep abusing Human Rights and Lock normal middle-class Thai people in a prison for 30 years with no appeals via a Military Court you might have repercussions for that!

When you try to Draft a Constitution based on FEAR...Fear of Change, Fear of the different opinions on the future, Fear of Modernity...FEAR of the "Toxic Thaksin" you will inevitably anger a large section of society and in that you will have people who will commit acts such as these. Until Thai's can start to finally discuss ALL important matters in a "Public Forum" there will surely be more of this.

Nowhere near as big as Erawan explosion, a firework would do as much. Doubt these are connected.

Bangkok post now reporting it was a pipe bomb stuffed with TNT and that these two incidents are definitely related.

Your input is flawed on both counts.

Furthermore...may be that there are both Thai's and foreigners involved.

Nowhere near as big as Erawan explosion, a firework would do as much. Doubt these are connected.

It looked pretty big to me when you consider the water dulling the impact. Also I've tried throwing fireworks into water, for some reason they seem to go out blink.png

Edited by Linzz

Is it a new way of fishing? Many large catsfish down there.

Rather an old way Fred. Drop a quarter or half stick of "powder" in the water and "whump", wait a half minute and stunned and dead fish float up to the surface.

A couple of observation/opinions .... claims of a firework producing similar results are, IMO, extremely unlikely. The description of the "pellets" ejected are consistent with either a fragmentation grenade or a pipe bomb. Either case, the device would have sunk rapidly on striking the water. An M80, cherry bomb. what have you are relatively light, and would have detonated very near the surface, throwing a small volume of water skywards, perhaps ten or fifteen feet. Enough to delight a small boy, but nothing like the display in this instance. A bomb detonating at depth to throw water to that height would have been fairly powerful because water is heavy, and it would have to move a considerable mass of it.

This is based on experience as a kid, when it was still possible to buy a case of dynamite. My dad had been a hard rock miner in Bisbee, AZ, before joining the Marines in WWII, and knew what to do with it.... including using it to clear the weeds from a eutrophagous pond at our farm, My demolitions trrainig, albeit brief, in the Army OCS also informs my opinion. I am no expert to be sure, but I would say a knowledgeable amateur... who does not enjoy messing about once in awhile with det cord and C4? tongue.png

I agree that it is highly unlikely to have been a firecracker, grenade or even a stick of dynamite unless the 'stick' weighed 2 to 3 kg.

I used to work on a seismic crew in Nigeria and we often had to acquire seismic data across rivers. Standard technique was to explode 5 pound charges in the water at a certain depth. What I saw on the video clip was consistent with such a size of charge, if anything the spout may have been even greater due to the confining effect of the khlong floor and walls.

Definitely a large bomb in my opinion.

Yes yes!!

A Cancer that has eaten away at Freedom of Speech & assembly brainwashed millions into a "propaganda loving machine" When you keep abusing Human Rights and Lock normal middle-class Thai people in a prison for 30 years with no appeals via a Military Court you might have repercussions for that!

When you try to Draft a Constitution based on FEAR...Fear of Change, Fear of the different opinions on the future, Fear of Modernity...FEAR of the "Toxic Thaksin" you will inevitably anger a large section of society and in that you will have people who will commit acts such as these. Until Thai's can start to finally discuss ALL important matters in a "Public Forum" there will surely be more of this.

I see you are spamming this forum with the exactly the same message on different threads. Are you trying to justify this savage act? Do you support the perpetrators of this heinous act? You sound like some sort of a fanatic mate. Get your act together.

It's a veiled message about submarines.

It's a veiled message to the army who is about to get even more power through the special amendment to the constitution in a few days. - opposition is obviously touting the army that they cannot even provide securities to the people

It's a veiled message to the possible dissatisfaction about the incoming appointment among the army and the police ranks (if this is the case, we will never catch the real culprit. Some settlement will likely to occur behind closed door)

It's not religious because otherwise, they'd be bombing temples left and right. Many veiled messages but we are just small little helpless pawns for them to play their "game".

at saphan thaksin no less.

things that make you go hmmm.

Its Taksin not Thaksin. Different spellings and pronunciations in Thai.

In the context of this forum and the enormity of what's happening that kind of nitpicking over spelling is unnecessary and irrelevant

Actually not at all when people are trying to make a statement out of it, and allude to a connection that isn't there. Sensible people are trying to point out that the bridge is in honour of King Thaksin and not the devil incarnate and everyone's favourite scapegoat Mr. T... I pity the fool

at saphan thaksin no less.

things that make you go hmmm.

Its Taksin not Thaksin. Different spellings and pronunciations in Thai.

In the context of this forum and the enormity of what's happening that kind of nitpicking over spelling is unnecessary and irrelevant

Actually not at all when people are trying to make a statement out of it, and allude to a connection that isn't there. Sensible people are trying to point out that the bridge is in honour of King Thaksin and not the devil incarnate and everyone's favourite scapegoat Mr. T... I pity the fool

Whether or not it is connected to the bomb in question, it should be pointed out that not so long ago some Thaksin supporters on this forum were deliberately conflating 'Thaksin' into 'Taksin' so the shrill 'nothing to do with it' assertions have less validity than one is led to believe.

Lets hope there will not be a 3rd bomb today .

Why is there no thread about the Nana situation?

I was at saphan thaksin today. Lots of police and emergency vehicles. The lazily cordoned off crome scene seem to be trampled all over by the press while the cops were ambling around.

Maybe that's why these bombers are so cocky. They know the cops are a shambles.