What Is The Best Luxury Hotel In Bangkok

desertcam

Hi all,

Have managed to get quite a few air miles saved up which I intend to cash in for a free hotel stay! :D

I should be entitled to a few nights at any of the following Hotels;

Dusit Thani

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers

Shangri-La Hotel

Sofitel Central Plaza

Royal Princess, Srinakrin

Royal Princess, Lan Luang

Prathumwan Princess

Grand China Princess

Bel-Aire Princess

The Imperial Queen’s Park Hotel

The Imperial Tara Hotel

The Imperial Impala Hotel

The Westin Grande Sukhumvit

Could you please advise me as to which Hotel in your opinion, has the best facilities and would be the best to stay at!

Many thanks,

Desertcam :o

I've stayed in the Bel-Aire Princess quite a few times and would cross it off your wish list. It is adequate for what I require but I wouldn't call it luxurious.

Out of the others on your list I have only stayed in The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (which was probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in, ever) which stands head and shoulders above The Bel-Aire Princess.

Dugdale

well, also kindof depends on what location you want:

from your list, all of the following are pretty nice:

Riverside:

1. Shangri-La

2. Royal Orchid Sheraton

Silom area:

Dusit Thani

Sukhumvit/Asoke area:

1. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

2. Westin Grande Sukhumvit

Many of the rooms in the Dusit are just too damned small

The Sheraton Grande is nice ....

Shangri La seems the best option above .... unless ... cowboy/nana are the attractions the OP is coming for

Conrad is amongst the top ... Plaza Athene as ilyu notes .... The Peninsula and Oriental rate up there too.

Edited by jdinasia

When i have clients visit the city i ussualy stick them in The peninsula, Nice hotel that has everything you would expect from a world class establishment. I have stayed in the Oriental before which is regarded by many as the best hotel in Bangkok however i found it to be to over the top and a little up it's own arse.

Guarantee you wont be dissapointed if you stay at the Peninsula.

Good luck and let us know where you decide to stay.

Cheers.

Lacoste.

Thank you all for your suggestions.....think I will give the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit a try, looks good on the website.

Quite a few of you fellas have suggested it. I will be in Bangkok only for a few days as I will be coming up from my own place in Jomtiem nr Pattaya with the missus for a break. The Sheraton has a good central location and is near the sky train etc. for getting around the city, which will suit me.

Cheers,

Thank you all for your suggestions.....think I will give the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit a try, looks good on the website.

Quite a few of you fellas have suggested it. I will be in Bangkok only for a few days as I will be coming up from my own place in Jomtiem nr Pattaya with the missus for a break. The Sheraton has a good central location and is near the sky train etc. for getting around the city, which will suit me.Cheers,

Come on Desertcam.......don't tell us you're going to stay (well deserved) in a 5-star hotel and use the sky train :D

Give yourself and the missus a break and use the limo service from the hotel; treat yourself like a 5-star guest :D

LaoPo

Quite a few of you fellas have suggested it. I will be in Bangkok only for a few days as I will be coming up from my own place in Jomtiem nr Pattaya with the missus for a break. The Sheraton has a good central location and is near the sky train etc. for getting around the city, which will suit me.Cheers,

Come on Desertcam.......don't tell us you're going to stay (well deserved) in a 5-star hotel and use the sky train :D

Give yourself and the missus a break and use the limo service from the hotel; treat yourself like a 5-star guest :D

LaoPo

At least use taxis. Mass transit is so...........pedestrian :D

I cannot believe Shangri-La or Westin Grande Suk. is on the list. Two of the most

Shangri-La: out-dated rooms, clueless staff, bad room service, the list goes on

Westin Grande: 1 hour for checking in, 25+ minutes for checking out.. and that was on the exec floor

The one luxury hotel that I haven't (yet) had the pleasure of staying at is the Oriental.

However, out of all the "luxury" hotels I've stayed at in Bangkok, I would only recommend The Peninsula and Hotel Intercontinental.

I've stayed at The Peninsula there 3 times already and it's a pretty consistent 5-star experience. Their only problem, I think, is that they need better training on how to treat their Thai guests.

Hotel Intercontinental offers the best value, I believe. You can't beat the location or service (service is even better than The Peninsula) or food (the Sat seafood buffet is excellent). Downsides: much thinner walls than The Peninsula and lack of strenuous QA checks on the outsourced limo firm.

I cannot believe Shangri-La or Westin Grande Suk. is on the list. Two of the most

Shangri-La: out-dated rooms, clueless staff, bad room service, the list goes on

Westin Grande: 1 hour for checking in, 25+ minutes for checking out.. and that was on the exec floor

The one luxury hotel that I haven't (yet) had the pleasure of staying at is the Oriental.

However, out of all the "luxury" hotels I've stayed at in Bangkok, I would only recommend The Peninsula and Hotel Intercontinental.

I've stayed at The Peninsula there 3 times already and it's a pretty consistent 5-star experience. Their only problem, I think, is that they need better training on how to treat their Thai guests.

Hotel Intercontinental offers the best value, I believe. You can't beat the location or service (service is even better than The Peninsula) or food (the Sat seafood buffet is excellent). Downsides: much thinner walls than The Peninsula and lack of strenuous QA checks on the outsourced limo firm.

For whatever it's worth, I have to second Thoats observations. All of the hotels on your list were there for a reason and the reason is that they're second-level hotels with empty rooms. The best we have here -- the Oriental, the Four Seasons, the Grand Hyatt, even the JW Marriott -- are in an different class entirely. From your list I would have to choose the Sheraton Sukhumvit, too, but don't expect a grand hotel experience.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

I'd definitely give the Imperial Queen's Park a miss. Stayed there once and while it's okay, it's just an old outdated hotel that's priced way too high for what you get. It was probably a fine hotel when new, but is just too old now. I'd go with the Sheraton Grande myself.

Have managed to get quite a few air miles saved up which I intend to cash in for a free hotel stay! :D

Under the same situation last year, I had a very, very nice stay at the hotel I chose from the list, the Royal Orchid Sheraton (an enjoyable experience courtesy of Japan Airlines' mileage program.

:o

If Shangri La can guarantee you a refurbished bedroom - its definately the best on that list for overall ambience and 5* luxury overlooking the river - the public areas are what set this hotel apart, as they always do with Shangri-La hotels. Sheraton has larger and subjectively better rooms (but its a newer hotel), but the hotel has no soul - it just feels like an airport executive lounge in my opinion. Incidentally I have stayed in both hotels many times. Sheraton also has the downside of everyone assuming the lady your with is a hooker as you walk along Sukhumvit.

But for me, my favourite overall remains the Four Seasons (formerly the Regent).

If Shangri La can guarantee you a refurbished bedroom - its definately the best on that list for overall ambience and 5* luxury overlooking the river - the public areas are what set this hotel apart, as they always do with Shangri-La hotels. Sheraton has larger and subjectively better rooms (but its a newer hotel), but the hotel has no soul - it just feels like an airport executive lounge in my opinion. Incidentally I have stayed in both hotels many times. Sheraton also has the downside of everyone assuming the lady your with is a hooker as you walk along Sukhumvit.

But for me, my favourite overall remains the Four Seasons (formerly the Regent).

I would definitely *not* call the Shangri-La a 5-star hotel. The star rating has more to do with facilities and service than decor or location.

Hi all,

Dusit Thani

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

Shangri-La Hotel

Sofitel Central Plaza

Royal Princess, Srinakrin

Royal Princess, Lan Luang

Prathumwan Princess

Grand China Princess

Bel-Aire Princess

The Imperial Queen’s Park Hotel

The Imperial Tara Hotel

The Imperial Impala Hotel

The Westin Grande Sukhumvit

Could you please advise me as to which Hotel in your opinion, has the best facilities and would be the best to stay at!

Many thanks,

Desertcam :D

Assume that you are talking about Star Alli- Air miles (maybe not..sorry) whereby you get one nights stay for every 12K AM... :o

I have a load as well@ 150k but never used them yet since I prefer to get the cheap /free birthday flights /offers/upgrades instead and sometimes hae them combined with promotions.

Certainly like the ideas of the hotel stays in Bangkok but wife thinks is a bit crazy when we have our own acco anyway.

Been checking with TG (assume) and seems that this deal is valid almost world wide but gotta admit that I would rather use them in say the Shangrila in maybe Paris-New York-Singapore.. (if poss)

Re : Bangers Hotels I have always been impressed with the Dusit since a spot of business there about 20 plus years ago ..and ...one day...one night etc.

Anyway my choices would be ...Peni-Oriantial-Shangri La-Conrad-Suk Grand and finally the Honey...which is now so handy for the Mucky Duck..... :D