tube or tubeless? Spokes or alloy?

Genericnic

So, I have always ridden on tubed tires on my bikes over the years (tubeless on my trucks or cars) without any problems. I am curios as to what advantages one has over the other, especially for riding in Thailand. For example, how hard would it be to get a tubeless tire repaired if you had a flat out in the countryside as opposed to a tubed tire?

Also, what is the advantage, if any of having alloy wheels over spoked wheels? More for looks than anything significant?

Thanks.

David

Ex biker for speed and infrequent punctures tubeless tyres reign, as it is here my little scooter is tubed and on average 2 times a month new tubes have to be fitted due to punctures and I keep to the main roads and avoid the sois like the plague.

Spoke wheels are better for off road but tend to be heavier, but more robust. Tubeless tires can be fixed depending on the amount of damage and location, caucus for example or the side of the tire. If you repair a tubeless and depending on what you use to repair it, you might be limited to a safe repair speed.

Alloys are better and lighter for street. Doesn't stop me from taking my Versys off road, though!

1. Cant fit tubeless tyres to spoked wheels unless you fit a tube too, then you have the best of both worlds.

2. Tubeless tyres are stronger and thicker, less prone to puncture.

3. Spoked wheels look better, but are harder to clean.

4. Spoked wheels make for slightly smother ride due to flexing.

5. Spoked wheel less prone to inrepairable damage, alloys crack, chip and break, then you are stuffed. Spoked wheels can often be straightened reworked to get you home.

6. Alloys tend to keep their looks, neglect chrome spoked wheel and the bike looks like a shed.

Everything else has been covered..My NV has alloys, would love to convert to spokes, NCD.

1. Cant fit tubeless tyres to spoked wheels unless you fit a tube too, then you have the best of both worlds.

5. Spoked wheel less prone to inrepairable damage, alloys crack, chip and break, then you are stuffed. Spoked wheels can often be straightened reworked to get you home.

6. Alloys tend to keep their looks, neglect chrome spoked wheel and the bike looks like a shed.

Everything else has been covered..My NV has alloys, would love to convert to spokes, NCD.

Your not supposed to use a tube with tubeless tyres...i think they can overheat

Magnesium alloy wheels can be fixed like brand new if they are dented by a skilled repair guy (not many can do it and you might be sent to a dozen different shops but there's one in an alley in near victory monument area we went once and he did a great job when we finally found the guy

I would take the mags and tubeless every time

Your not supposed to use a tube with tubeless tyres...i think they can overheat

Magnesium alloy wheels can be fixed like brand new if they are dented by a skilled repair guy (not many can do it and you might be sent to a dozen different shops but there's one in an alley in near victory monument area we went once and he did a great job when we finally found the guy

I would take the mags and tubeless every time

When you put a tube inside a tubeless tyre there is a tiny amount of heat generated due to the flexing of the soft wall tyre, but this is only an issue when riding and cornering fast. If you ride like that, then go tubeless, which means alloys.

If a mag alloy wheel gets damaged....... throw it straight in the bin...

Magnesium alloy is extremely difficult to weld properly and most Thais have difficulty welding mild steel without having birdshit everywhere, so finding one who can do so in Thailand, I'd say impossible. What metallurgy training did your guy have?

Working magnesium alloy is extremely dangerous as it can work harden, possibly causing hairline cracks. Finish polishing these hairline cracks will just hide these weak points..until you hit a bump..cornering fast under load. Ouch!.

Aluminium alloys fracture at a much faster rate than steel, giving you no warning and knowing it had been repaired, well that would worry me. Steel will generally crack first, that crack will open and eventually break, so there is a little warning time, especially if the load is cushioned by spokes.

Having a front wheel shatter, well I try to rule that out of my life.

In the west you would have a new wheel made..........

Spoked wheels are better for "off road" , due to their inherant built in flex and reistance to cracking / sudden failure . Alloys look better on most "road" bikes . Cross-over or dual sport bikes can have either , depending on your choice of style or percieved riding style / terrain . If punctures are a problen , then check the wheel spoke tensions , make sure the outer part of the spokes ( that come into contact with the rim-tape / tube ) , dont have sharp burs on , fit a good rim-tape and a heavy duty tube . A good tire and tire pressure choice will also help . Trying to "fix" magnesium wheels to save a few Baht , unless its some rare restoration project carried out by an experienced wheel builder who knows his metallurgy - no - my life is worth far more .