Dress Codes In The City?

JoneL

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi...

is it ok for men to wear shorts + tank top (sleevless t-shirts) when walking in the city/going to the shops? How about when entering tempels + palaces?

Shorts and tanktops are a definite no-no .... and no you cannot enter a temple proper dressed in them.

Evenings you can get away with whatever in the more "adventuresome" entertainment areas ....

For comfort (if you don't like jeans) light weight chinos etc are good ... and a buttonable short-sleeve shirt over a tank top is fine. Button it up if going in anywhere .. like a temple or a mall etc.

Look at the Thai people around you and dress like them

Hi...

is it ok for men to wear shorts + tank top (sleevless t-shirts) when walking in the city/going to the shops? How about when entering tempels + palaces?

No tank tops... :D

T-shirts or polo shirts and shorts are ok...But as long as you look clean and presentable...i don't think it's that big a deal... :o

Edited by RAZZELL

The anti-shorts thing is left over from the 1950s. Even "good" Thai girls wear revealing clothing now and men have always been able to get away with much more.

We are farangs and can pretty much wear what we want. Long pants, or short, we are still ill-mannered, smelly heathens to our lovely hosts! :o

:o

The anti-shorts thing is left over from the 1950s. Even "good" Thai girls wear revealing clothing now and men have always been able to get away with much more.

We are farangs and can pretty much wear what we want. Long pants, or short, we are still ill-mannered, smelly heathens to our lovely hosts! :D

I can actually see why some Thai's dont like farangs wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts. Ever sat next to a farang sweating his ass off with nothing to cover his arm pits

Been here for years and refuse to wear long pants or long sleeve shirts, too hot. wear shorts + polo or short sleeve button down; T shirt rarely. Only folks I've seen wearing those guido sleeveless vest shirts are gays from neighborhood men only massage places

Butthead !!!!

Been here for YEARS and still can't dress politely? But you seem to have failed to answer the OP's question ....

Been here for years and refuse to wear long pants or long sleeve shirts, too hot. wear shorts + polo or short sleeve button down; T shirt rarely. Only folks I've seen wearing those guido sleeveless vest shirts are gays from neighborhood men only massage places

Butthead !!!!

Been here for YEARS and still can't dress politely? But you seem to have failed to answer the OP's question ....

Dress neatly and wear clean clothes. Shorts are ok when very hot and a nice polo or button down shirt . When you go to a resturant or out and about in the eve. pants are more welcome than shorts

Edited by Vespa

Hi...

Butthead !!!!

Dress neatly and wear clean clothes. Shorts are ok when very hot and a nice polo or button down shirt . When you go to a resturant or out and about in the eve. pants are more welcome than shorts

Vespa ----- the OP specifically asks about temples/palaces ..... shorts are NOT ok

Hi...

Butthead !!!!

Vespa ----- the OP specifically asks about temples/palaces ..... shorts are NOT ok

Seems to be a bit of confusion with the OP as 2 questions are indeed asked ...

Hi...

is it ok for men to wear shorts + tank top (sleevless t-shirts) when walking in the city/going to the shops?

Yes shorts and tank top/T shirt are fine here.

How about when entering tempels + palaces?

No ! Shorts and tank top are a no no here... longer pants and shirts that cover your shoulders are recommended here.

Seems to be a bit of confusion with the OP as 2 questions are indeed asked ...

Hi...

is it ok for men to wear shorts + tank top (sleevless t-shirts) when walking in the city/going to the shops?

Yes shorts and tank top/T shirt are fine here.

Sorry, but tank tops are definitely not ok to wear walking around in the city. T-shirts yes but not tank tops, they should be reserved for the beach.

Sure, you won't be arrested for wearing a tank top and nobody will say anything, but many Thai people will find it offensive. And if I understand the OP correctly, he is asking the question here to avoid offending anyone.

Sophon

Please don't wear shorts in the city, it's not the beach after all.

Stick to long trousers and at the least a T-shirt rather than a vest.

Cheers.

Lacoste.

I`ll be buggered, I actually agree with you!!! :D:D

Really, I was wearing shorts and a singlet all over BKK.

My gf didnt say anything to me.

Donz.... :D:o

Bangkok is like living inside of a sauna. I think people should dress as cool as possible

Yeah, but actually wearing cotton long sleeves and long trousers will keep you cooler than exposing the skin to the heat.

You suffer less from heat.

Above all, in reply to the OP, you want people (local) to at leastr have a chance of being respectful to you, you wanna be wearing correct clothing, and that traditionaly means, NO KNEES, No ELBOWS showing.

In temples, absolutely NONO, in other establishment, (shops, entertainment,) you can be more relaxed, but again, culturally, you want to think, no knees no elbows.

so if you wanna compromise, think of maybe 3/4 length sleeves and shorts. :D

Thank you for answering!

This dressing thing is so much more different than in Europe.

So it is good to know some oppinnions about how to dress politely :D

One more question:

shoes? are sandals ok?

I don't have so many shoes.... :o

I thinks sandals are ok when walking in the city + shopping...

But how about in tempels? And restaurants...?

Edited by JoneL

Yeah, but actually wearing cotton long sleeves and long trousers will keep you cooler than exposing the skin to the heat.

I think this is pretty true. I wear long sleeves or 3/4 but thin cotton. It is cooler than expositing the skin.

I was in a taxi once in Sathorn Road, and the driver looked at a guy walking along the pavement, and then said to me "him tourist - you live here", as I was in long trousers and the guy on the pavement was in shorts and a t-shirt.

So - it depends what impression you want to convey. Do you want to look respectable or not?

I wear shorts all the time in Pattaya - never in Bangkok.

G

Edited by grtaylor

Mine wouldnt let me out the loom like that that in bkk !

I agree with previous posters ,dress like the thais not like a sleazy sexpat or backpacker ,unless you are one and are ok with it of course

Shorts and singlet ok in sleazy old pattaya if you want to show your tatts etc :o

Really, I was wearing shorts and a singlet all over BKK.

My gf didnt say anything to me.

I think this is pretty true. I wear long sleeves or 3/4 but thin cotton. It is cooler than expositing the skin.

Most short trousers allow a flow of air all the way to the crotch and lower ones body temperature considerably.

You can wear the ones that cover your knees if you want to, but Thais still think of them as shorts - and rather silly looking ones. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.