lemming mentality

slapout

We have all seen a new vendor / shop open for business and within a short time similar vendors are present in all directions selling the same product / service. I always looked at it as those following the leader had no knowledge / education to think independently.

Recently I read about a new doctors clinic being opened on Hang Dong road very near (within eyesight ) of a very knowledgable, and successful doctor already established and very highly recommended by her client / patients. Plus there is a hospital and a couple clinics already spaced at decent intervals along the road and the clinics seem to survive although they seem to follow a Thai time schedule.

This has troubled me since i read someone post , they would try the new doctors office even though they concede the orginal doctor (GP) is good and they are happy with her.

Now doctors are educated and hopefully more intelligent than street vendors with lemming mentality. Why over saturate a area with service that hurts the livelyhood and the patient service when its not needed and probably hurts more than it helps the public sector? this is just something that has been bothering me after considering what i have heard and read about the situation.

They like having all the similar businesses in the same area. Because then the people know where to go to get that, and the businesses are where the customers are.

Of course they tend to go for overkill and overlook some good opportunities. I knew of one place that had 10 dried squid carts all in a row. Not a single one of them sold anything to drink and there were no other vendors of any kind in that lot. All I could think was; why can't one of you guys come up with the idea to bring a cooler of assorted beverages along tomorrow?

I pretty much agree with the OP. I might add though that Hong Dong is a growing area. I personally found her location a little out of the way for me but I am more concerned about my health than I am where a doctor is located. I don't agree with Doctor shopping if I have a good one. She knows every thing about me. When I recently went in for a shot to help stop the onset of pneumonia She knew the medications I was on and told me I could not have the best as it would not be good to mix it with what I was taking. She gave me another medication that did the job with no side affects.

I am a believer in shop around until you find the one you like then give them all the information about your self. I have seen other doctors for various things. All of them she recommended and has the reports from.

I'm just amazed that someone is 'troubled' and 'bothered' about something like this. I'd be hard-pushed to be 'mildly interested' or 'vaguely curious'. If you've got no nothing to worry about ........ don't worry. No need to look for something.

By the way, your condescending view that these people are lemmings doesn't further your argument, or reflect very well on you.

I'm just amazed that someone is 'troubled' and 'bothered' about something like this. I'd be hard-pushed to be 'mildly interested' or 'vaguely curious'. If you've got no nothing to worry about ........ don't worry. No need to look for something.

By the way, your condescending view that these people are lemmings doesn't further your argument, or reflect very well on you.

I can only speak for myself but I find it interesting. Until this topic came up I was unaware of the other clinics. How ever as I said I don't go doctor shopping so I don't pay attention except for the Geriatric one. My doctor laughingly pointed to it and told me that is where I am heading.

I take it you are not interested in finding a doctor you just wanderer in to any old office when and if the need arises. Other wise why would you be concerned about some one else looking around?

Yes, Hotelling's law in play. You may know that the best place to open your new burger shop is directly across the street from MCDONALDS.

Too bad such a law cannot be in place as far as government services are concerned. Imagine a competitor to CM Iimmigration.

The few private doctor clinics I go to have "Thai hours" as the attending physician works regular hours at a large local hospital, some as part of an agreement which I believe has to do with repayment for their eduction others perhaps to do with retirement benefits or that sort of thing.

I always wondered why there are 10 roadside friut stands with the sellers waving down cars offering the same thing then I I found out they are all owned by the same person.

Could this by chance be another post by a Brit, now letting us know the "proper" amount of doctors offices for a city street? Get a life, dude. Having a good selection of doctors is a good thing. Unless you have some serious illness, having a couple of different physicians to see, when needed, makes a lot of sense. They do take vacations, have babies, retire, or even die, let alone they don't work 24/7. I've got 6 hair stylist withing 500 m, hardly worth complaining about.

They're following Hotelling's law.

I hadn't taken enough marketing courses to ever have heard of Hotelling's Law. But, thanks to this post and Wikipedia, I'm a bit more knowledgeable today. ;-)

Interesting, isn't it?

Shame many here would rather just assume the Thais are stupid than learn something themselves.

Edited by SoiBiker

I can only speak for myself but I find it interesting. Until this topic came up I was unaware of the other clinics. How ever as I said I don't go doctor shopping so I don't pay attention except for the Geriatric one. My doctor laughingly pointed to it and told me that is where I am heading.

I take it you are not interested in finding a doctor you just wanderer in to any old office when and if the need arises. Other wise why would you be concerned about some one else looking around?

Not interested in finding a doctor? How did you come to that conclusion? You missed the point entirely. I'm not interested in being 'troubled' and 'bothered' about a new doctor's office opening or being rude enough to assume that somehow they are stupid lemmings because they open up close to each other. That is finding things to get angry and moan about when there is no cause to. It sounds to me that if he is going to spend life getting bothered about such things he'll be in much more need of as doctor than most of us ever will.

Could this by chance be another post by a Brit, now letting us know the "proper" amount of doctors offices for a city street? Get a life, dude. Having a good selection of doctors is a good thing. Unless you have some serious illness, having a couple of different physicians to see, when needed, makes a lot of sense. They do take vacations, have babies, retire, or even die, let alone they don't work 24/7. I've got 6 hair stylist withing 500 m, hardly worth complaining about.

I am very pleased to find out that SLAPOUT is now a BRIT! I wonder if it was a painful experience to change nationality? Maybe the OP has even become a Scottish Brit

Why do people jump to totally unfounded conclusions about TV posters without making any attempt to check the facts. I am also not quite sure what the connection is with 'Brits' in this context!

Edited by scottiejohn

I am very pleased to find out that SLAPOUT is now a BRIT! I wonder if it was a painful experience to change nationality? Maybe the OP has even become a Scottish Brit

Why do people jump to totally unfounded conclusions about TV posters without making any attempt to check the facts. I am also not quite sure what the connection is with 'Brits' in this context!

A certain poster may have a chip on their shoulders about Brits - maybe one stole his girlfriend ;)

One of several things I have learned from this topic is some people read way more into a text than is there I do not recall calling other people ''stupid'' and or ''lemmings'' But that is ok as I just consider the source, but not so much the nationality as I admit to not knowing or really caring if they are Brit or Canadian, etc.

Hope everyone has a good week, just be careful who is following who.

Edited by slapout

A certain poster may have a chip on their shoulders about Brits - maybe one stole his girlfriend wink.png

my sentiments as well,love to no why the yank dislikes brits,maybe he got screwed in more ways than one,by a english gentleman,

I don't hate the Brits, but you must admit that they are often the ones telling us about "proper" everything, from what you have to pay for a Leo to make it proper, how many canned beans you need on your plate for it to be proper. This post has to take the prize for the most: not your business (literally), who cares?, does it really matter?, what qualifies you to judge?, does it affect you?, and possibly just plain wrong post of the month, that is unlikely to be outdone, but it is only the 2nd (of September).

The reality is Doctors locate their offices using a large combination of factors that often include: being close to the hospital they serve, close to labs or imaging services, close to patient base, a place that meets current ISO standards for medical facilities, or simply a place that is affordable to them and their patients, etc..For these reasons they are often clustered together. In smaller towns, they may all share the same single building.

I don't hate the Brits, but you must admit that they are often the ones telling us about "proper" everything, from what you have to pay for a Leo to make it proper, how many canned beans you need on your plate for it to be proper. This post has to take the prize for the most: not your business (literally), who cares?, does it really matter?, what qualifies you to judge?, does it affect you?, and possibly just plain wrong post of the month, that is unlikely to be outdone, but it is only the 2nd (of September).

The reality is Doctors locate their offices using a large combination of factors that often include: being close to the hospital they serve, close to labs or imaging services, close to patient base, a place that meets current ISO standards for medical facilities, or simply a place that is affordable to them and their patients, etc..For these reasons they are often clustered together. In smaller towns, they may all share the same single building.

It is interesting that 'you' have used the word 'hate' with regard to the 'Brits' and then start talking about Leo & beans. Why attach a nationality to a poster with no justification.

As a matter of interest a collection of doctors in the UK who share a building is called a 'Health Centre'. They are not competing with each other but are working for the same joint company. Not quite the 'lemming' concept the OP opined.

Edited by scottiejohn

It is interesting that 'you' have used the word 'hate' with regard to the 'Brits' and then start talking about Leo & beans. Why attach a nationality to a poster with no justification.

As a matter of interest a collection of doctors in the UK who share a building is called a 'Health Centre'. They are not competing with each other but are working for the same joint company. Not quite the 'lemming' concept the OP opined.

Competition in health care? Karl Marx would roll over in his grave, and so would Michael Moore if his carcass didn't weigh 200 Kg. Surely, a government run system, where one needs to let the government keep half of his earnings is better than having a choice.

I know my post was nearly 100 words long, but you could have at least read the first ten, where I stated "Could this by chance be.....". Turns out I couldn't have been much closer, as it had such a familiar tone of worthlessness. I suppose I should be thankful that I didn't have to listen to it.

post-227967-0-56309300-1441164890_thumb.

Edited by bangmai

Competition in health care? Karl Marx would roll over in his grave, and so would Michael Moore if his carcass didn't weigh 200 Kg. Surely, a government run system, where one needs to let the government keep half of his earnings is better than having a choice.

Still trying to understand why you choose that avatar.