Customs Inspection when shipping household goods to BKK

Not sure which forum is best for this. But getting ready to ship household goods to Thailand. Found a well recommended Thai shipper in US. He will handle customs paperwork. But what can I expect when my crates arrive? The shipper says he will arrange delivery. Just personal clothing, kitchen wares etc.

First of all, in order to be able to describe what you can expect, I need to know what you exactly have, or are going to pay for to this "shipper"!!

Can you describe here the offer you have been given, or if you like to do it off public, in that case you can PM me. I am a shipping-guy since over 40 years, so I may be of some help for you, if you like that is of course!!

Glegolo

if you have a thai wife ship it in her name,we shipped a 60ft container from the east coast to Thailand cost was $2000.00us

customs didn't even look in side,we had to put a 50,000TB deposit down for the container,which was unloaded at our door step

when the container got back to Bangkok,we received our 50,000TB deposit back

• Like 1

But what can I expect when my crates arrive?

The shippers Thai representative will notify you that your shipment has arrived and will require that you either mail or bring him your passport or Thai ID card of the person named as receiver on the shipping documents. This is not negotiable, it is a Thai Customs law requirement

At that time you will be informed of how much duty your shipment will incur. Forget about all the charts and information that you get from Royal Thai Customs. Your duty will be whatever the inspector assigned to your shipments decides it is going to be. Whatever it is you must pay it as soon as possible since if you don't, since the shipment is being held in a bonded warehouse, the storage fees will eat you alive

How much the duty is going to be is the luck of the draw. Many report here that they have not had to pay anything, others have paid more than the shipment is worth. It's all the luck of the draw. Many have reported that the container or shipping crate is never even opened, but duty is assigned based upon the Bill of Lading

Once the duty's have been paid your shipment will be released and either delivered to your door by the shipping company or picked up by you, depending upon what your contract says and what you paid for

And be careful with your terminology, household goods and personal effects are not the same thing

• Like 2

if you have a thai wife ship it in her name,we shipped a 60ft container from the east coast to Thailand cost was $2000.00us

customs didn't even look in side,we had to put a 50,000TB deposit down for the container,which was unloaded at our door step

You must have been lucky to get a 60 ft container

Seeing as there are only 20 ft and 40 ft containers available wink.png

The shippers Thai representative will notify you that your shipment has arrived and will require that you either mail or bring him your passport or Thai ID card of the person named as receiver on the shipping documents. This is not negotiable, it is a Thai Customs law requirement

At that time you will be informed of how much duty your shipment will incur. Forget about all the charts and information that you get from Royal Thai Customs. Your duty will be whatever the inspector assigned to your shipments decides it is going to be. Whatever it is you must pay it as soon as possible since if you don't, since the shipment is being held in a bonded warehouse, the storage fees will eat you alive

How much the duty is going to be is the luck of the draw. Many report here that they have not had to pay anything, others have paid more than the shipment is worth. It's all the luck of the draw. Many have reported that the container or shipping crate is never even opened, but duty is assigned based upon the Bill of Lading

Once the duty's have been paid your shipment will be released and either delivered to your door by the shipping company or picked up by you, depending upon what your contract says and what you paid for

And be careful with your terminology, household goods and personal effects are not the same thing

I have shipped many shipments from the US and China. I have them consigned to my customs broker in Bangkok and have never had to have my original passport, or show up in person, to have them imported, only signed copies that were actually attached to an email.

As far as a 60' container, someone is pulling your leg AFAIK they are only available in 20',40' , 40' high cube and 45' high cube. I've had 40' high cube containers shipped here from the US.

WAYNED

I have shipped many shipments from the US and China. I have them consigned to my customs broker in Bangkok and have never had to have my original passport, or show up in person, to have them imported, only signed copies that were actually attached to an email.

As far as a 60' container, someone is pulling your leg AFAIK they are only available in 20',40' , 40' high cube and 45' high cube. I've had 40' high cube containers shipped here from the US.

=======================================================================================

Just a question to you. You are not telling us if you did pay any teamoney for your imports? Or are you one of those guys, that are claiming that you do not?? Last one I talked to, was absolutely not paying any teamoney, never ever paying any teamoney (hidden customs duties)

When checking his charges and costs in port of Bangkok, he did overpay enormously the arrivel charges and the customs clearence charges.... The customs broker have hidden the charges there.. That guy was so happy......

So what about you Wayned?

Glegolo

I brought in a 40'er under the wife's returning Thai benefit. It was a full house load and then some. We had the pack out crew foreman at origin write down our suggested, "creative" descriptions for the high interest items we knew we had too many of.

On clearing in BKK, our (female) shipping agent called to say Customs sussed out a few too many computers and monitors on the inventory and we had to pay like 1,000 Baht - can't recall exactly but it was small amount and sounded like tea money to me.

My wife argued we were a "family" so naturally, after years living abroad, we had more things than just a single person would. I don't know if that helped or just that my Mrs asserted herself. Who knows, but the agent called back later, said the clearance was done, no tax or other "fees", delivery to the house in a few days time.

So, we had read the regulations, personal accounts and good advice from folks on this forum, but in the end said, "Screw it!", packed that container to the gills, and hoped for a lazy Customs inspector. Worked out. Just lucky I guess.

Good luck on yours.

• Like 1

As far as I know I am not paying any "tea money".. I do not use a Thai import and logistics company, I use a large international company with offices in Bangkok to handle all of the import paperwork including paying all port charges, customs, at he percentage specified for the HS commodity code, and Vat. All charges including the port charges are clearly identified in the paperwork they supply me and they send me the customs documentation that they are going to submit for my approval before they submit it. I pay the logistics company a fee for doing this. Did customs actually inspect the goods in the container that I paid them to do. Who knows, but the seals were removed and the doors were wired shut. I work with them and the shipper up front to see that all of the shipping documentation, house way bill and master way bill, is filled out correctly and the correct HS code is on the documentation. My last shipment, a 40' container arrived at Unithai on 27 April and cleared customs and was delivered to my facility in Nakhon Sawan Province at 0700 on 1 May, a Thai holiday. I have all of my shipments consigned directly to them an they provide onward transportation after clearance. PM me and I'll send you the info on my broker.

Actually not some US shippers used to and may still do use 53 footers on maritime routes, granted not a 60 footer as the poster stated but your also not correct saying only " availible in"

60 foot container??? Your story does not seem true.

Actually not some US shippers used to and may still do use 53 footers on maritime routes, granted not a 60 footer as the poster stated but your also not correct saying only " availible in"

Actually I know about the 53 footers but don't know if they have trucks here that can handle them. I once had a consolidated shipment that was too much for a 40' and asked about a 53'. The forwarder told me "can't ship to Thailand" so I had to use a 40 and a 20. That's why I didn't mention it.

I guess that 60' containers do exist http://www.rus-troyka.com/60_foot/index_en.php5. !9.62 meters = 64' 4.4" but I've never seen one.

Actually I know about the 53 footers but don't know if they have trucks here that can handle them. I once had a consolidated shipment that was too much for a 40' and asked about a 53'. The forwarder told me "can't ship to Thailand" so I had to use a 40 and a 20. That's why I didn't mention it.

I guess that 60' containers do exist http://www.rus-troyka.com/60_foot/index_en.php5. !9.62 meters = 64' 4.4" but I've never seen one.

Your right think the 53 footers came originally from road and rail and then bulit for maritime use as suspect the road/rail ones where not built stong enough for martime usage or didnt comply with the maritime specs for containers