Pattaya Prawn Shortage blamed on new Fishing Regulations

webfact

Pattaya Prawn Shortage blamed on new Fishing Regulations

prawn-3.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Restaurant owners across Pattaya City are reporting poor supplies of Prawns and they fear that the new fishing regulations which came into force on 1st September could lead to major problems which could force restaurateurs to increase their prices.

We spoke with Khun Sasitorn, the Manager of the Gunghan Buffet located opposite Makro’s on the Sukhumvit Road in Jomtien who currently offer a 300 Baht all-you-can-eat seafood buffet option.

There are now 9 days every month when fishing is prohibited and she fears that supplies of all seafood products will become limited

Full story http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/217728/pattaya-prawn-shortage-blamed-on-new-fishing-regulations/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-09-04

One would think that Thai (especially Pattaya) folks could appreciate propagation.

--------------

Oh yeah, is it just me or do Atlantic shrimp & oysters not taste better than Pacific seafood?

Can't put my finger on it.......they just seem more salty I guess.

Edited by jaywalker

Given the vast shrimp farming industry in Thailand, I can't believe any shortage is due to the fishing regulations. I doubt these restaurants are buying prime sea caught wild shrimp, when domestically farmed products are much cheaper.

Just an excuse to increase pricing on the consumer.

Vote with your feet and prices will drop.

One would think that Thai (especially Pattaya) folks could appreciate propagation.

--------------

Oh yeah, is it just me or do Atlantic shrimp & oysters not taste better than Pacific seafood?

Can't put my finger on it.......they just seem more salty I guess.

I have always found that cold water seafood has a better flavor than warm water seafood- no idea why...

The resturant owner/manager fears what might happen due to a limit placed on fishing (trawling) vessels. How about the present overfishing that is acknowledged even by fishermen, that will lead to complete loss of supply without these controls being put in place and enforced, hopefully?

Drop the 300 baht ''all you can eat buffet'' people are getting too fat anyway. A good businessman should be able to make changes depending on whats avaliable, customer satisfaction, and costs. Thats the business you chose to invest in, make it work or leave as we farang have been told many times.