Visa for living long term in Thailand

Hello fellow forum members, first time poster here.

I am currently in Laos but hoping to return to Thailand soon to live with my Thai girlfriend.

I am looking to live in Chiang Mai and was wondering what my options for living in Thailand would be. Rather than state what I have already discovered myself I will listen to better informed people's opinions here.

Thanks in advance to anybody willing to help.

Marry the G/F. You could then apply for a Visa based on marriage and/or an extension of stay also based on marriage.

If work is not an option the only other possibility is to undertake some form of approved education using an Ed visa.

We are too early in our relationship for marriage but I appreciate the suggestion.

ED visa is something I have considered, appreciate advice on obtaining one for living in Chiang Mai. Ideally with a college close to Nimmanaemin Road.

Edited by Chesterpot

Marry the G/F. You could then apply for a Visa based on marriage and/or an extension of stay also based on marriage.

If work is not an option the only other possibility is to undertake some form of approved education using an Ed visa.

We are too early in our relationship for marriage but I appreciate the suggestion.

ED visa is something I have considered, appreciate advice on obtaining one for living in Chiang Mai. Ideally with a college close to Nimmanaemin Road.

Hope my last post did not sound too negative...but again reading this post of yours you want an ED visa????

This whole gig isn't cheap anymore. Also go to school for what? Learn Thai to talk to the gf.

Have you added up the yearly cost of living here.

Hells bells

My advice...take a reality check. Sounds like you have very little funds. You could do an online course to teach like many others. Without a degree you might make 25/30k a month. Your gf will need a piece of that at some stage. Thailand ain't that especially cheap. Hope you don't drink. Your only chance is a non b visa once you have a job. You could use tourist visas till you can achieve that.

It will all cost bucks. When I was 31 I wanted a Porsche. I could actually afford one. I didn't buy it. Now I'm here living on my hard earned.

Thanks for the response.

I have enough money to buy a condo and support myself and her for a while. I have investments which should support a relatively modest lifestyle. Unfortunately I am rather partial to a bit of a drink but I can get by with Hong Thong. ;)

I am not seeking work here. But I thought there were other options than just a Tourist visa. I hope I am right.

Hope my last post did not sound too negative...but again reading this post of yours you want an ED visa????

This whole gig isn't cheap anymore. Also go to school for what? Learn Thai to talk to the gf.

Have you added up the yearly cost of living here.

Hells bells

No worries at all, I appreciate you taking the time to write to me.

I would prefer to learn Thai in a more leisurely fashion but I certainly intend to learn the language anyway as I want to live here long-term. It's not an ideal option and I'm aware of the cost. Still not 100% sure how to go about getting it though...

OP nice response. You could of easily had a big crack at me. You say you can afford a condo. While not directly related to your OP .DONT DO THAT.

You can easily stay here for quiet some time using TV multiple. With few stamps. Etc

Even since things became someone stricter esp re stamps.....you can stay here. Why not take baby steps. See how things go with tgf. Take 12 months plus to sort stuff out.

I've only been here 3 coming up 4 years....I run into so many disaster stories and so many GOOD ones.

Take time. I'm still trying to where to live in Los. I have great pad in bkk but hardly there. Spend my time travel Asia.

Good luck to you and gf. But please please. Don't buy her a pad or car or bike.

Buy her a beer and dress and let father time unfold

No worries mate, I'm not one to take offence easily or have problems with people.

Why would you advise so strongly against buying a condo I would like to ask?

I have already spent 3 months in Thailand. I am certain this is where I want to live providing visa issues are not too problematic for me. And the sooner I can learn my options about this the better for me as I hope to return very soon. I'm aware I have left this very late but can't turn back the clock.

Thanks for the advice with the gf, I am already aware of some of the potential pitfalls. I have no intention of buying her anything too lavish as I simply cannot afford it. If her demands become too much then she will have to find someone more affluent. It would not effect my desire to live here anyway.

• Like 1

The buy or not buy condo is often debated on TV. There are pros and cons as is with just about everything. My comment was directed to the OP who firstly has not lived here for very long and also has not know the tgf for very long. Point is take time. If someone has the money to buy a condo here does not in itself make it good investment.

Many don't include concept in economics called "opportunity cost" .....

In any event...work out where you want to live. Also where your at with gf in say a year.

Missed your age ....the elite card works but so does tourist visas....and can do for some time. Then evaluate things. Geeez you might be married by then.

That's if your crazy

• Like 1

Thai Elite Visa = 5 years = thb 500k

That would be fantastic but beyond my means unfortunately,

But you would have no problem buying a condo?

At your age with no intention of seeking employment here it is a good suggestion.

There are costs involved with constantly having to obtain tourist visas/ Ed visas from out of the country as well as schooling costs associated with Ed visa.

Now they may not amount to 500,000 over 5 years but they will not be zero either.

It would be worth your while to make a comparison imo

• Like 2

Re Buying a Condo nice to have your own Place you can call Home away from Home, I have many Condos, Houses, Shophouses, Land in Thailand

Has it's Pro's & Con's Condo Maintenance is expensive you are never done paying the Developer for something or other, Houses ok but again no big financial return as the money you get for the rent unless long term you have to put all of it back into the property after the tennant leaves,

Best Property buy in Thailand is Shophouse I have 1 block 4 x 3 floor units in a reasonable location & Low maintenance cost plus helps with the cash flow,

My advice to Chesterpot if he is going to purchase property Buy a shophouse or 2 & for sure he will not lose,

Welcome to Thailand

• Like 1

Mate far from being a Big Shot living in Thailand due to I am working out here in the West Papua jungle have being for the last 15 years, My Thai wife Yeah you could call her a Big Shot, But she is ok looks after my daughter & investment in Thailand,

Re Buying a Condo nice to have your own Place you can call Home away from Home, I have many Condos, Houses, Shophouses, Land in Thailand

Has it's Pro's & Con's Condo Maintenance is expensive you are never done paying the Developer for something or other, Houses ok but again no big financial return as the money you get for the rent unless long term you have to put all of it back into the property after the tennant leaves,

Best Property buy in Thailand is Shophouse I have 1 block 4 x 3 floor units in a reasonable location & Low maintenance cost plus helps with the cash flow,

My advice to Chesterpot if he is going to purchase property Buy a shophouse or 2 & for sure he will not lose,

Welcome to Thailand

Risky...to say the least. Nice to know your are a big shot landlord here in Thailand .....But answer this....

Since he can't buy land (he is a foreigner)....how do you suggest he buy the shophouses ? In his girlfriends name?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Mate none of your Busness Ok Live & Let Live,

Mate far from being a Big Shot living in Thailand due to I am working out here in the West Papua jungle have being for the last 15 years, My Thai wife Yeah you could call her a Big Shot, But she is ok looks after my daughter & investment in Thailand,

Welcome to Thailand

Risky...to say the least. Nice to know your are a big shot landlord here in Thailand .....But answer this....

Since he can't buy land (he is a foreigner)....how do you suggest he buy the shophouses ? In his girlfriends name?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

There are many blokes happily married in los with the house or shop house or whatever in the wife's name. Sadly there are many that end in tears. Just like divorce happens in every country. Now we will get the expats jumping in saying how they purchased the land in wife name. Or maybe she had some turf already and then build a nice farang joint on it. Very safe because your entitled to half upon divorce. Problem is maybe it can't be sold. Needs a buyer.

You may as well just cut you nackers off and give them to her. Strangely people do it ever day.

• Like 1

You would be VERY lucky to purchase 3 or 4 Shophouses and rent them out profitably on a regular basis, most Thai / Chinese businessmen would want to buy their own premises rather than just rent.

Also your comment "Unfortunately I am rather partial to a bit of a drink but I can get by with Hong Thong" gives me significant pause for thought; I enjoy the occasional alcoholic drink, invariably Chivas, but if ever I was reduced to "getting by" with cheap local hooch I would admit I was an alcoholic ..... and that is not a problem you want to encounter in Thailand if you are lonely, depressed or have financial problems.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone
  • Like 1

Chesterpot : I agree with Jacksam. Why you want to buy a condo when you can rent a nice place for 15-20,000B per month (be careful of renting from PH tho ... PM me if you want Company name)

Beachproperty rent for 3-5,000B per month is not gonna happen unless you and your gf are satisfied with a small studio in a crappy condominium and even then you have to pay probably 7,000B

Finally I hope you are aware of the situation with Chiang Mai Immigration - if not then read the thread "Promenada Imm. one stop" - maybe that will make you change your mind to live in CM ...

• Like 1

Why not just get regular tourist visas?

There is no limit to how many times you can enter Thailand per year on tourist visas and you only need to leave between the 60 and 90 day mark (if you get 30 day extensions).

If you come in from Laos on a double entry, you have 6 months (with 2 extensions), then get your next double entry visa in Phnom Penh, that is another 6 months.... fly out to Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, or really anywhere to do your second entry border runs.

When you fly back in dress smart and always carry at least 20,000 baht in cash in case they want to see proof of funds.

Go to Hong Kong for the next double entry, Penang after that.... lots of places you can fly to to get a fresh visa.

• Like 2

OP nice response. You could of easily had a big crack at me. You say you can afford a condo. While not directly related to your OP .DONT DO THAT.

You can easily stay here for quiet some time using TV multiple. With few stamps. Etc

Even since things became someone stricter esp re stamps.....you can stay here. Why not take baby steps. See how things go with tgf. Take 12 months plus to sort stuff out.

I've only been here 3 coming up 4 years....I run into so many disaster stories and so many GOOD ones.

Take time. I'm still trying to where to live in Los. I have great pad in bkk but hardly there. Spend my time travel Asia.

Good luck to you and gf. But please please. Don't buy her a pad or car or bike.

Buy her a beer and dress and let father time unfold

No worries mate, I'm not one to take offence easily or have problems with people.

Why would you advise so strongly against buying a condo I would like to ask?

I have already spent 3 months in Thailand. I am certain this is where I want to live providing visa issues are not too problematic for me. And the sooner I can learn my options about this the better for me as I hope to return very soon. I'm aware I have left this very late but can't turn back the clock.

Thanks for the advice with the gf, I am already aware of some of the potential pitfalls. I have no intention of buying her anything too lavish as I simply cannot afford it. If her demands become too much then she will have to find someone more affluent. It would not effect my desire to live here anyway.

I've been in and out of Thailand over 30 years and don't own a condo or house........rent, rent, rent thats all I have done and it works out - a good 75% of the people that buy want to sell someday and can't and most of the time, at a loss - you can rent a very nice place for little money in Thailand - but if you are dead set on buying, the prices in Chiang Mai for nice paces are hard to beat...........find one you can buy in your own name.

• Like 1

My advice...take a reality check. Sounds like you have very little funds. You could do an online course to teach like many others. Without a degree you might make 25/30k a month. Your gf will need a piece of that at some stage. Thailand ain't that especially cheap. Hope you don't drink. Your only chance is a non b visa once you have a job. You could use tourist visas till you can achieve that.

It will all cost bucks. When I was 31 I wanted a Porsche. I could actually afford one. I didn't buy it. Now I'm here living on my hard earned.

Thanks for the response.

I have enough money to buy a condo and support myself and her for a while. I have investments which should support a relatively modest lifestyle. Unfortunately I am rather partial to a bit of a drink but I can get by with Hong Thong. wink.png

I am not seeking work here. But I thought there were other options than just a Tourist visa. I hope I am right.

Why sink money into a depreciating asset like a condo in Thailand ? Renting is usually far more cost effective, and if your neighbors are demented, you just move. You can make money in Thailand, but it is painful. Most live in Thailand and work elsewhere, returning home during their down time.

• Like 1

Hello

I am 47 and therefore under the age of an retirement visa.

I am studying business English at a Government University and can stay as long as I study which could mean forever. The Education visa for a Government University is slightly different than to an Education Visa for a private language school. I do not need to leave the country and there is no limit on my visa as long as I study at the University. Studying only involves a few hours a week and is also fun. I also do not need to go to the Immigration Office except on the first time. Every 90 days I do my report via post and the University does all the relevant documentations needed to obtain a visa or to extend a visa. This, I am sure, is also possible at a University in Chiang Rai.

• Like 1

Sounds like your really trying to jump into things, you haven't been with your girl that long and you're head over heels.

I think you need to go home and save money. Gettng a job without actually living here will be something hard to achieve and there's no way it's going to happen in 30 days. Once you two get to know each other more and decide to marry that will open more options to you. Do some research and plan wisely.

• Like 1