Neighbor keeps door open => noise and cooking smell

play some country music and cook cabbages..... That should do it!

doesn't work, i tried playing some really loud German military march music to make a point after numerous complaints from my side, trouble was they liked it.

Try playing some Barry Manilow that should do it!

The simple answer to why Thais behave this way is because they can!! I had trouble with a Thai woman that lived across the hall from me. We both have our doors open to get a breeze through our room. I was living there 3 years before she moved in, .... she virtually yells on the phone, played annoying Thai music constantly, ...and smoked like a chimney! It is prohibited to smoke in this building and I suffer from Emphysema. I asked her to not smoke or at least close her door as the prevailing winds come from her room to mine! Her response was, ..."If you don't like it go home! I am Thai! I can do what I want.

I complained to management several times but they never did anything. I ended up moving to get away from her! Welcome to Thailand, ..as long as you have lots of money and do not bother a Thai!

We had a condo in BKK, good middle class, and some chinese renters, close to our door, always had their doors open in the afternoon and sitting in there, mostly 6 to 10 guys, and smoking like hell. The smoke used to get right into our room. We had a newborn baby at that time in there. I asked the guys to close the door because of the smoke, made no difference. After a while we talked to the condo manager and the problem was fixed. Maybe only temporarily, we moved out shortly after. I know from my thai sister in law, who lives in a "normal thai condo", noise, kids and smell from close by condos is normal. Thais seem to have a higher tolerance for noise then farangs.

A lot of these issues come down to an Ineffective Condo / Apt Management Team.

Fortunately the Condo I live in handles these issues well.

There are notices in the lifts:

- Parking Correctly (not over the parking bay lines)

- Keeping the Noise of Music and TV down

- No Pets

- Keeping doors closed when cooking to avoid spreading smells

- No smoking on balconies

- No washing hanging over the balconies

- Don't leave cooking unattended

Much of these points are common sense, but people often need reminding, sometimes the self-centred don't care about others which is when the Condo Management Team become more effective.

If there are complaints the culprits are spoken with quite quickly. As a result its a clean and very polite little community we live in (its a shame the Condo is a little too small for us we are now looking to sell or rent out).

The reason I write about my Condo? - because this is exactly what your Condo / Apt Management Team should be doing to ensure people maintain consideration for others.

In my previous Apartment (rented) a new neighbour (a Western slob) moved in after I'd been living there for 5 years.

His TV was so loud I could watch my TV without sound and listen the sound from his.

He continually argued with his GF (who was a bit of a ropey mutt)

After 3 complaints without action I moved out, when I moved out I explained why. I was told that if they received another complaint about this tenant he'd be kicked out. However, that was too late for me, 3 complaints without action or improvement were enough.

I expected better from a relatively high end Condo: (from 10 years ago) Rent was 50,000 baht per month for a 1 BR Apartment, 100,000 baht per month for a 3 Bedroomed Apartment. Higher end condo's also have issues.

I moved into new Condo (bought) and have been happy with how the Management handle issues.

Edited by richard_smith237