Non Immigrant visa 1 year extension Pattaya - need witness

I am NOT familiar with a Thai marriage visa or extension of stay based on Marriage, but logic tells me that the best witness should be your wife, shouldn't it?

my wife was there with me. There may be a credibility issue with a Thai wife. I think the witness relieves them of the duty of inspecting ones place of residence to see if you are actually living (together) where you say you are and haven't taken pictures outside some random address.

Would a Farang lie to an Immigration official?

I am NOT familiar with a Thai marriage visa or extension of stay based on Marriage, but logic tells me that the best witness should be your wife, shouldn't it?

As the purpose of the witness is to confirm the legitimacy of the relationship the wife is the worst person as she would be complicit in any sham marriage.

counter no. 6 iimmi jointiem requires a thai witness with housbook @ id, if the marriage is childless !!!! thereupon a wiitness is required for

the first appllication marriage extension of stay whether childless or not. the photo togeter with the witness to be in front of the residence depicting

the house number clearly. photo to be postcard size.

immi counter 6, jointiem ,the two immi officers senior sergant and lieutenant are very,very helpful.

wbr

roobaa01

We went for a visa extention based on marriage in March, and yes we needed a witness, infact he was a guy thats works in the office selling the houses on our estate. We had photos taken outside our house showing number of house and him sat inside with us. He was questioned at immigration (Jomtien), he did not need any doc's. We paid him 1000 baht for his trouble.

• 1 month later...

I did my first extension based on marriage swapping from a tourist visa to Non O then to the extension and did not need a witness. Looks like it is hit and miss on the witness. Anyone else care to share if they required a witness..

Also seems to be a lot of people asking can you change from a tourist visa to non- O visa based on marriage at Jomtien and the answer is yes.. Well at least it was for me..

Cheers,

J

• 1 year later...

Just moved to Chonburi after living in Vietnam - earlier lived in Chiang Mai. Went to Imm to ask about extension of stay based on marriage.

We were told to bring a thai witness from Chonburi incl. copy of witness ID and Tabian Baan. Its not that easy to get "strangers" to help with this even tho we will pay for their trouble. We are new to this part of Thailand and really dont know anyone yet. We asked cleaninglady but she is not from Chonburi so no luck there.

Any ideas are most welcome, thanks

Edited by Wallander4
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Ah this witness thing sucks. I agree with the post above. Clutching at straws. Live in a condo.

The staff member manning the lobby who sees us together everyday is some messed up "tom" that made some drama over a light bulb by our door... funny story. 

The lady who handles things on behalf of owner (ie. rental agreement) is a nosy, slightly insane lady old thai lady. Lives in same building but try to minimize contact.

It seems odd to be asking strangers to provide documents, appear in pictures or accompany us to immigration. 

Are you allowed to use wifes friends who sometimes visit? 

29 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

In Thailand, who knows? Usual rules for witnesses internationally would suggest the witness should

• be someone who has known you for an extended period;
  • be someone able to attest that you are living together;
  • not be a family member;
  • be of Thai nationality.

I could imagine a specific immigration office having different rules, possibly insisting that the witness be a neighbor who sees you on a regular basis.

11 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Ah this witness thing sucks. I agree with the post above. Clutching at straws. Live in a condo.

The staff member manning the lobby who sees us together everyday is some messed up "tom" that made some drama over a light bulb by our door... funny story. 

The lady who handles things on behalf of owner (ie. rental agreement) is a nosy, slightly insane lady old thai lady. Lives in same building but try to minimize contact.

It seems odd to be asking strangers to provide documents, appear in pictures or accompany us to immigration. 

The security folks see you going in and out together, regularly.  They seem like a choice that would be easy to catch for the picture in front of the building, be able to validate your living together, and would not demand a fortune to spend a couple hours at immigration.