Tour package to Angkor from Bangkok?

ding

Having been there last year the last thing I would recommend is a package tour, make your own arrangements and do your own thing rather then being herded around like sheep.

I never have either, in the 23 years I've been going to Thailand.

But... I wondered if the seeing this huge site would be more efficient and provide a deeper experience with the package tours I read raves about.

Having just been I agree with RabC.

They're setup for tourists;

- outside the hotel will be TukTuks, rent one for 2 or 3 days it cost me $20 per day. They know where to take you, they sit and wait for you, provide water etc etc. Personal service. Check the Internet first and see what is recommended. You will easily see what to do for a few days.

- at the various temples are tour guides; haggle, make sure you can understand their accent etc maybe $10 for a personal 2-3 hour tour of Ankgor.

A far more rewarding experience than being part of a huge crowd.

- outside the hotel will be TukTuks, rent one for 2 or 3 days it cost me $20 per day. They know where to take you, they sit and wait for you, provide water etc etc. Personal service. Check the Internet first and see what is recommended. You will easily see what to do for a few days.

- at the various temples are tour guides; haggle, make sure you can understand their accent etc maybe $10 for a personal 2-3 hour tour of Ankgor.

I fully agree, also with a private guide he can take you to the quieter places during peak hours and after last year what we really appreciated was being able to call a halt to wandering around the temples and have a break from the heat and crowds by going back to the hotel for a few hours.

Totally agree. If you haggle, the tuktuk will be happy with $12 per day (more for the temples further away).