Dr Surin: changing party's name will not change the conduct of politicians

webfact

Dr Surin: changing party’s name will not change the conduct of politicians

hqdefault-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Dissolution of a party or changing the party’s name will not lead to change in the conduct of politicians, said Dr Surin Pitsuwan, former ASEAN secretary-general and president of Future Innovation Thailand Institute, on Monday.

“Like a rose, even if its name is changed, it still smells good,” said the former Democrat MP, adding that political parties should be given a chance to reform themselves instead of being forced to re-register and to change their names because it will be the same group of people running the parties.

He went on saying that political conflicts could only be resolved when the causes of the conflicts are identified first and political conflicts should be resolved by people in political system.

Meanwhile, former Thai Rak Thai MP Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan said she would not join the National Steering Committee for Reform even if she was approached because she is a politician through elections.

For reforms to be successful, she said that it would depend on two factors: firstly, the causes of the political conflicts must be identified and, secondly, public must be allowed to participate in the reform process.

She admitted she didn’t understand why established political parties had to be re-registered. If established parties are regarded as having an edge over new parties, she said there is no need to dissolve the old parties but to speed up the registration process so the new parties can register in time.

Changing a party’s name is just a cosmetic change which will not resolve political conflicts, she said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dr-surin-changing-partys-name-will-not-change-the-conduct-of-politicians

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-21

Don't we know. Thai Rak Thai, People's Power Party, Pheu Thai........................ Scum under one dirty banner.

Amusing that you adopted the name of a famous mythical Irish hero, who if in existence today, would undoubtedly stomp you for supporting neo-nazis on this side of the world.

laugh.png

Amusing that you adopted the name of a famous mythical Irish hero, who if in existence today, would undoubtedly stomp you for supporting neo-nazis on this side of the world.

Only 5 posts into the thread before some looney brings in

Godwin's law

Congratulations. bah.gif

I have some sympathy for Godwin's Law - and usually respect it - since Nazi accusations are flung around far too easily (often by people who don't really understand what they mean by the term)

However I'm not sure that its breach is always or necessarily loony.In Thailand both on the Thaksin side and also with Sondhi/Suthep etc there were definite echoes of pre-war fascism.

I certainly don't feel there is a cast iron injunction never to comment on or point out these similarities.

But I certainly agree with you that these should be used sparingly and properly referenced.

Godwin's law

Congratulations. bah.gif

I have some sympathy for Godwin's Law - and usually respect it

Good. Then there's no reason to further derail the thread off-topic from Dr. Surin's comments with the nonsense talk of Nazis, neo or otherwise.

But you were the one who invoked the subject Godwin's Law.I replied with a clarification on when it might be disregarded.You respond by sticking your fingers metaphorically in your ears.Is your view that neo fascist behaviour in Thailand can never be commented on.

Tough luck.Where there is evidence of it, there will be a comment on it.

Political parties are created by leaders but they are SUSTAINED by membership.

If a party's ideology cannot attract a majority or significant numbers for a coalition of the electorate, it self-corrects itself or devolves into political oblivion or irrelevancy.

FangFerang post:

Quote:

for supporting neo-nazis on this side of the world.

Unquote

Godwin's law

Congratulations. bah.gif

Good. Then there's no reason to further derail the thread off-topic from Dr. Surin's comments with the nonsense talk of Nazis, neo or otherwise.

But you were the one who invoked the subject Godwin's Law.

Is your view that neo fascist

Correct. I was the one.

Then you derailed even that.

Let's try this clarification just one more time because you continually seem confused on the matter:

Godwin's law Wikipedia entry:

FangFerang post:

Quote:

for supporting neo-nazis on this side of the world.

Unquote

Godwin's law

Congratulations. bah.gif

But you were the one who invoked the subject Godwin's Law.

Is your view that neo fascist

Correct. I was the one.

Then you derailed even that.

Let's try this clarification just one more time because you continually seem confused on the matter:

Godwin's law Wikipedia entry:

I made the error of attributing a measure of analytical ability where clearly there was none.Instead we have just another slightly challenged Wikipedia merchant.

I know what Godwin's Law is.I commented it need not be taken as an inviolate stricture.Most educated people would agree that if there is evidence of present day fascism or quasi fascism it is perfectly in order to point this out.

But I was casting my pearls before swine, as David Cameron might say.