Public urged to register their SIM cards before September ends

webfact

Public urged to register their SIM cards before September ends

si1.jpg

BANGKOK, 22 September 2015, (NNT) - At least 11 million prepaid mobile phone Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) cards have yet to be registered, said the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC).

Secretary-General of the NBTC Thakorn Tanthasathit has made the remark, reminding the public that beginning on October 1st onward, the mobile phone numbers linked to the unregistered SIM cards will be reallocated. It is estimated that the funds remaining in these unregistered SIM cards is worth about 110 million baht.

Owners of unregistered SIM cards can ask for refunds or transfer it to other numbers at their respective service providers from now until the end of 2015.

The office has warned the owners of those cards to do so before the authorities terminate the service at the end of September.

Currently, 74 million prepaid mobile phone SIM cards out of the existing 85 million have been registered, representing 87 percent of the total prepaid numbers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-22 footer_n.gif

And somewhere, far out in the mountains and rural areas, where stateless natives have very little contact with BKK, 11 million people will wake up and realize -- "Oh, crap. I got ripped off again."

For the average 10 baht that is left on their cards, you think that's a rip off? 11 million stateless people, really?

Were are they going to get the technical knowhow to do this? Won't happen, even if it does people will just spend the 50 baht for a new sim and register it then. If it could be done they'd a done it already.

The technical knowledge to do what, cut numbers off? You really think that the phone companies don't know how to terminate service?

Regardless of that, it's happening already, I know of 2 people who couldn't be arsed registering and recently they both found that they were unable to make calls until they registered, that was over the last couple of weeks.

Both my phone & my partners received an SMS this morning suggesting that unless we register our AIS phones they will become unusable from the 1st of October.

We are now wondering how many of the supposed "74 million other phone users", WHO, LIKE OURSELVES have ALREADY Registered their phones & are now receiving these reminder messages.

We registered both services at the AIS shop in Tesco Lotus Samkong approximately 5 months ago, handing over our phones & passports, the procedure taking all of a couple of minutes,(although we received nothing to say we where then registered ?????)

WE will be making a further, less friendly visit to the said shop in a day or two, to actually inquire as to what occurred, interestingly, during our regular monthly top ups no mention has been made of our phones 'NOT BEING REGISTERED thus far !

CANDA.

I purposefully didnt register when my missus pushed me too.. checked the phone with the code its unregistered..

Won one bet in August when it still worked.. Won another bet in Sept when it still worked.. Any takers against 3 for 3 ??

Did you say BET!!! a confession and not a blow was struck. clap2.gif

Would like to check, if my registration actually went thru. What was that Hotline Number again to check this? In my case it's AIS.

Anyone ? Thanks.

If you can make calls the chances are that your registration was successful.

Not necessarily as the deadline for everyone was extended to the end of this month.

Both my phone & my partners received an SMS this morning suggesting that unless we register our AIS phones they will become unusable from the 1st of October.

We are now wondering how many of the supposed "74 million other phone users", WHO, LIKE OURSELVES have ALREADY Registered their phones & are now receiving these reminder messages.

We registered both services at the AIS shop in Tesco Lotus Samkong approximately 5 months ago, handing over our phones & passports, the procedure taking all of a couple of minutes,(although we received nothing to say we where then registered ?????)

WE will be making a further, less friendly visit to the said shop in a day or two, to actually inquire as to what occurred, interestingly, during our regular monthly top ups no mention has been made of our phones 'NOT BEING REGISTERED thus far !

CANDA.

I think you'll find that it was a broadcast message sent to every pay-mobile on the network as a reminder. It wasn't a selective address list.

CANDA.

poorly thought out, how do you know Tesco forwarded the registrations, in hindsight if they were allowing 3rd party registering they should have set up a system where when people registered they got a confirmation text.

Sending text to unregistered phones seems the best option at this time, if you have registered and are still getting the texts it would seem the service providers have no system in place to link phones to to the registration system so will not be able to bar the unregistered ones come the end of month...

Would like to check, if my registration actually went thru. What was that Hotline Number again to check this? In my case it's AIS.

Anyone ? Thanks.

If you can make calls the chances are that your registration was successful.

Not necessarily as the deadline for everyone was extended to the end of this month.

CANDA.

I think you'll find that it was a broadcast message sent to every pay-mobile on the network as a reminder. It wasn't a selective address list.

Thanks HHTel,

As we were outdoors at the time, it was rather hard to hear the one - off message, shame they couldn't differentiate messaging between those that have done the right thing & those that haven't.

We do a bit of overseas travel from our home here, thankfully we weren't traveling at the time or we would have we would have had something to worry about.

CANDA