Police spokesman confirms Bangkok bombings are not act of terrorism

webfact

from the FBI website ..posted for the Thai Police as they obviously dont know:

"International terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

• Involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
  • Appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
  • Occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S., or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum.*

"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

• Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
  • Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
  • Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

* FISA defines "international terrorism" in a nearly identical way, replacing "primarily" outside the U.S. with "totally" outside the U.S. 50 U.S.C. § 1801©.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition

Please, don't start quoting those clowns. It's too embarrassing

Edited by DaveinAsia

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's fascinating about this language posturing is how it clearly underlines a notion that is now in every head around the planet :

'Terrorism', for almost everyone nowadays, means : Muslims gone berserk and killing innocent people (including other Muslims, sometimes) in the name of Allah, and according to their mad interpretation of the word 'Jihad'.

The Thai authorities are saying 'they are Muslims but they did not kill in the name of Allah so it's not terrorism'.

The Western reaction on this forum (and predominantly in the West, I presume) is : 'they're Muslims and they killed innocent people, so it is terrorism'.

The question, absurdly, becomes : is it, or is it not terrorism ? a point of idle sophism, while the only urgent and relevant questions remain :

1/ what the hell is going on in this world ?

2/ how have we humans, collectively, come to this ?

3/ is there a way we could, collectively, get out of this ? could we, humans, realize that we're walking behind a demented handful of Pied Pipers who are leading us straight into armageddon, and then decide that we don't really have to keep on walking behind them after all ?

And it's not like it didn't happen before, because it did. Many times.

Disagree, people do not see Muslims as the only terrorists. Also, I dont want to get into a religious debate but Muslims are by and large peaceful people,, the people who commit the terrible acts of violence are extremists.

For your points on "what are we all doing" I agree with you that we keep making the same stupid mistakes time and time again. But I do have faith in human nature, people do not generally want to hate each other. The world is relatively new to easy and relatively cheap travel and mixing up so many different cultures and beliefs is bound to cause problems. But over time things will change..

As for crazy politicians, well the ones that cause damage all seem to get in power when times are tough because they pray on peoples fear and promise a radical solution (Germany and Adolf Hitler springs to mind). hopefully we will not see a repeat of that madness and the recent global crisis does not seem to have allowed this to happen,, thankfully.

Mind you it does seem strange that nearly all the extremists around the world are muslim ,and the bombers in Bangkok were also muslim , still we can just go on pretending that it is a religion of peace cant we, untill the next time .

Wont argue with your point of view, it does seem that the majority of terrorist acts are caused by Muslims. I only make the point because it's dangerous to generalise, I have known many muslims and they live a peaceful life, they don't judge and they just get on with things. One of my UK friends is a muslim, he abhors the terrorist activity so difficult for me to say to him your religion is not a religion of peace,, hope you see my point.

Looks like you're all in agreement then. One of you even went and found some definitions from the FBI.

Thinking (I know, I am using the term very loosely) independently, you managed to show the world yet again how shallow and callous you all are.

As far as I can tell you are all guests of Thailand but the first thing you think when you read something you clearly do not understand is to criticise your hosts. You really are dense and ungrateful people.

Hands if you walk around all day wearing a vest (singlet)

Hands up if you wear a baseball cap indoors and out

Hands up if you have one or more tattoos

Hands up if you drink something alcoholic every day of your life.

There you are, pretty well summed you up haven't I!

What's fascinating about this language posturing is how it clearly underlines a notion that is now in every head around the planet :

'Terrorism', for almost everyone nowadays, means : Muslims gone berserk and killing innocent people (including other Muslims, sometimes) in the name of Allah, and according to their mad interpretation of the word 'Jihad'.

The Thai authorities are saying 'they are Muslims but they did not kill in the name of Allah so it's not terrorism'.

The Western reaction on this forum (and predominantly in the West, I presume) is : 'they're Muslims and they killed innocent people, so it is terrorism'.

The question, absurdly, becomes : is it, or is it not terrorism ? a point of idle sophism, while the only urgent and relevant questions remain :

3/ is there a way we could, collectively, get out of this ? could we, humans, realize that we're walking behind a demented handful of Pied Pipers who are leading us straight into armageddon, and then decide that we don't really have to keep on walking behind them after all ?

Disagree, people do not see Muslims as the only terrorists. Also, I dont want to get into a religious debate but Muslims are by and large peaceful people,, the people who commit the terrible acts of violence are extremists.

For your points on "what are we all doing" I agree with you that we keep making the same stupid mistakes time and time again. But I do have faith in human nature, people do not generally want to hate each other. The world is relatively new to easy and relatively cheap travel and mixing up so many different cultures and beliefs is bound to cause problems. But over time things will change..

As for crazy politicians, well the ones that cause damage all seem to get in power when times are tough because they pray on peoples fear and promise a radical solution (Germany and Adolf Hitler springs to mind). hopefully we will not see a repeat of that madness and the recent global crisis does not seem to have allowed this to happen,, thankfully.

Mind you it does seem strange that nearly all the extremists around the world are muslim ,and the bombers in Bangkok were also muslim , still we can just go on pretending that it is a religion of peace cant we, untill the next time .

Wont argue with your point of view, it does seem that the majority of terrorist acts are caused by Muslims. I only make the point because it's dangerous to generalise, I have known many muslims and they live a peaceful life, they don't judge and they just get on with things. One of my UK friends is a muslim, he abhors the terrorist activity so difficult for me to say to him your religion is not a religion of peace,, hope you see my point.

Yes I have some Muslim friends too. Nice folks overall.

Then again most terrorist attacks are carried out by Muslims.......There's no getting around that fact.

And here we go ... Both of your reactions are totally 'in the box' : the first one is angelic ("I have faith in human nature") and the other is the typical warmongering stance. Excuse me, but neither of you have understood my actual point.

Don't think I missed your point at all, your hardly posting something profound that has never been said before.. Let me put it to you in a less "Angelic" way as clearly it was too soft for you.

As you have highlighted the word "collectively" in your points I assume you are referring to some kind of united people saying enough is enough.. Well if you do some reading for yourself humans do not generally change quickly, it usually takes something or someone remarkable for dramatic change (do your own digging to find past game changers and public heroes).

However, ordinarily it takes a steady change in attitudes for societies collective consciousness to change. Only when this happens do things really change. An example debated on here before is smoking,, not many years ago it was considered good to have a smoke, it was a "cool" thing to do and it was perfectly acceptable to light up in a restaurant. Today however it is not, society has changed completely and we now seriously restrict when and where people can smoke. This is almost a global change.. Hope my example makes sense to you.

So, I have faith that human nature does, eventually change and that it does move in the right direction (slavery, womens rights, smoking, freedom of speech, freedom of information etc, etc). But like everything as soon as something gets resolved something takes its place.

I hope my point is clear enough for you and you can see that I do actually have my feet firmly on the ground and my head out of the clouds.

do people break out in laughter at these meeting? or do they wait for the bathroom break?

can you imagine being the US Ambassador and you have to meet with these morons?

"The US stands ready to help Thailand with this horrible terror bombing."

"Not terror. No need"

"Yes, but the international connection, the terror cell, the planning..."

"Not terror. Vengeful Thai wife. Husband butterfly. China movie stars come Thailand. All OK."

The more I read about this case and the mis-information, now we have them - now we don't, why they did it and now a play on words .......the more repulsed I am at the level of quality of the investigation and the more confusing it seems to become. Yesterday, the two guys in Malaysia were definitely the bombers......

If a public act of violence against innocents is directly tied to a political act by a government,

and there is even the slightest incentive that by doing the violent act it would intimidate or

prevent the government from doing the same political action again, then it is clearly a terrorist act.

The Thais government expelled the Uirghurs who were trying to get free of China's iron grasp,

those people would want to use this conduit to freedom again,

so they punished the Thai Government for shipping their people back to probable death and torture,

by a super violent public action, which would likely make the Thai's think twice about

sending more Uirghurs back to China. Sure they likely ALSO wanted revenge, but that is not the ONLY reason.

Pure and simple, this public pronouncement isn't worth the paper it was written up on.

If they thought they could get away with saying this was an "accidental explosion" or never really happened, they'd say it.

Every major police case reported is riddled with claims, counter claims, poor if any investigation, contaminated crime scenes, too many spokes people contradicting themselves and each other, and zero idea of how to do real police work.

There is seemingly no interest in real justice - just get a result, any result or if the result isn't "politically" acceptable then keep ignoring it and talking rubbish until it goes away. Add on the interference from persons of influence and the seeking of opportunity for financial gains and you have the BiB modus operandi.

Totally corrupt, inept, ineffective and more to the point, not even interested in enforcing the law and actually doing their job properly.

Not surprising so many go on to become politicians. Their time in the police must have been great training.

I hate to say this, but I think I know what he means. Terrorism is a campaign of violence to bring about some kind of social or political change. If a guy murders his girlfriend because she ditched him, it's not terrorism, but a one-off attack. They are claiming this was a one-off attack in response to a provocation. The message that they're (understandably) keen to get across is that it's not going to happen again. Given the circumstances behind this (the Uigur deportation), that may be a reasonable argument.

Of course, there are those who take a broader view and call anything that spreads fear terrrorism. They're not wrong either. It's really a matter of terminological inexactitude.

Edited by ddavidovsky

In general, IMHO they would not call this an act of terrorisme as to give victims and or their relatives the chance to collect help and financial pay outs from their insurance companies as where with a act of terrorism most would not give any compensation as it it is widely known as an exclusion.

Is this REALLY your honest or humble opinion?

I'm pretty sure all insurance companies know the definition of terrorism.

"International terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

• Involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
  • Appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
  • Occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S., or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum.*

• Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and

* FISA defines "international terrorism" in a nearly identical way, replacing "primarily" outside the U.S. with "totally" outside the U.S. 50 U.S.C. § 1801©.

Sir/Madam whilst I agree entirely with the above statement, may I remind you that THIS IS THAILAND

Which means:

Normal rules, regulations & most of all COMMON SENSE does not prevail...

The only thing that can prevail at all costs is the tourism industry,and as such the word "TERRORISM" has been removed from the dictionary !!

There you go quoting outside sources again. You must read from the Thai playbook or your irrelevant.