What are good Thai language schools in your experience

curlylekan

I am returning to Thailand for my third time next year and I would like to get more serious about learning the Thai language. Learning on my own has not been the best as I do not get the tones right all the time. What language schools do y'all recommend and do y'all have any experience with them. I've read what other boards say but many postings are old. I wanted to try for some recent experience. Thanks much

I am not in Thailand yet, but I am looking now because I will not arrive in Thailand till I finish with a backpacking trip When in Thailand, I will be in BKK, Korat, and Ubon. The places I see schools for though are in BKK, Hua Hin, Samui, Phuket and Pattaya. Not that I'm against any of these places, they are amazing and Phuket has triathlon's, which I love to compete in, but I like the less touristy spots - a little off the beaten path but not too much, like Ubon.

I'd be willing to commit around 2-3 hours/day to study, more if it is worth it, 200 hours probably

Also, I'd like to find some way to supplement my income while 'm there. I know legally this is not suppose to be done on an ED visa but I will still need a little extra something, even if its not a real job.

If someone made good progress with Walen that's more a tribute to the individual than the school. Walen only teaches to a very low level - not even up to the P6 exam level.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For 3 hours a day, 5 days a week look at UTL afternoon courses. Union, Piamitr and a couple of others offer virtually identical courses using basically the same approach and materials. All in Bangkok.

Search for 'Union Method' here for more info..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Any of those in phuket?

can of worried about this though:

1. To teach the Thai language to anyone who needs to acquire it in order to pursue their legitimate concerns in the Kingdom of Thailand.
2. To facilitate the dissemination among Thai people of the good news of God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Edited by bearpolar

I am not in Thailand yet, but I am looking now because I will not arrive in Thailand till I finish with a backpacking trip When in Thailand, I will be in BKK, Korat, and Ubon. The places I see schools for though are in BKK, Hua Hin, Samui, Phuket and Pattaya. Not that I'm against any of these places, they are amazing and Phuket has triathlon's, which I love to compete in, but I like the less touristy spots - a little off the beaten path but not too much, like Ubon.

I'd be willing to commit around 2-3 hours/day to study, more if it is worth it, 200 hours probably

Also, I'd like to find some way to supplement my income while 'm there. I know legally this is not suppose to be done on an ED visa but I will still need a little extra something, even if its not a real job.

Not very smart to be making comments (on this forum) about ways of circumventing Thai Labor Law, e.g., working without a work permit. Do whatever you're going to do, but be silent about it. Let a word to the wise be sufficientcoffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

You make a great point. I've recently read about a 6 month multiple entry visa starting in November of this year. Since that will be available when I'm there, is there any reason I couldn't at least start with that while going to school, find a job with a work permit and still do school, just not with the ED visa? In other words, do I have to have an ED visa to study at a school?

I went to Walen and found them to be great. I learned to read, write and speak Thai just fine. I know many other people that loved them as well.

As with many things in life, you get out what effort you put in, as well as, everyone has a different opinion.

These schools are businesses, you can give them your business and purchase a package to learn Thai whether you want their help with getting an ED visa or not. I had friends taking classes there that were not on ED visas. That is totally separate. But as you know, if you get a ED visa, you cannot get caught working.