Scottish man found hanged in Phuket hotel room

webfact

Scottish man found hanged in Phuket hotel room
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A Scottish man was found hanged inside a Patong hotel room in Soi Sansabai this morning (Sept 24) when he failed to check out on time. Police have yet to rule the case as suicide.

At 8:30am, Kathu Pol arrived at the Bangkok Residence Hotel in Soi Sansabai after being called by hotel staff who had reported that a Scottish tourist had been found hanging inside his room.

The victim’s name is being withheld until the embassy and his family have been notified.

Police said they found the body of the 45-year-old from Edinburgh hanging from an iPad charger tied to a clothes rail in a wardrobe.

Lt Col Jongserm Preecha from Kathu police said, “There are no signs of assault, robbery or foul play in the room. We found B6,000 inside the victim's wallet and found his passport under a pile of clothes he had left on the bed.”

Police were told by hotel staff that at 8:20am the victim’s friend, who was staying in the next room, called the maid to open the door because the victim did not answer his phone and there was no answer when he knocked on the door.

Staff opened the door but it was chained from inside. They forced it opened and found the body of the victim hanging near the door.

The staff said that the two men had checked in to the hotel on Monday (Sept 21) and were due to check out at 9am today.

The body was taken to Patong Hospital and police are contacting the embassy and questioning the victim's friend whose name police declined to reveal.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand on their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02-713-6793 (Thai) or the Thai Mental Health hotline on 1323 (Thai).

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/scottish-man-found-hanged-in-phuket-hotel-room-54245.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-24

Police said they found the body of the 45-year-old from Edinburgh hanging from an iPad charger tied to a clothes rail in a wardrobe.

An I pad charger? I personally have never met a Scottish man or women of that age that would not break an I Pad cable under their body weight. I dont even think they would be long enough at that.

Oh God! My deepests sympathies to the Hotel and its Staff. Must be horrid for hotels and condos or apartment owners and management to have these foreigners killing themselves without thinking about the inconveniences that they cause to the owners , management and workers and also other residents there. I think a new rule should be imposed, a refundable Bt 200,000 (just in case you kill yourself or die in the unit)deposit form all foreigners wanting a hotel room, or renting an apartment or condo which will be forfeited to cover all the misc inconveniences and business income loss from these selfish actions. Why can they just kill themselves back in their own homes.

An I pad charger? I personally have never met a Scottish man or women of that age that would not break an I Pad cable under their body weight. I dont even think they would be long enough at that.

Well, just shows how wrong you can be, doesn't it?

More likely he just choked to death. How can you hang yourself in a closet? There's no drop zone that snaps the neck.

Anyone noticed how most farangs who take their lives here are in their mid forties to late fifties. Theyre too young to get a pension and too old to retrain or get

another job. Women can always have children and go on child support ,free tarnsport ..or sue in the courts for sexual harrassment. Obviously men cant make money these ways.

Men enter no-mans land particularly in their early fifties. Lousy job or no job at all, no family money....,deleted>

Women,migrants and refugees are now celebrated people in the west. Middleaged divorced or single white men may as well pack up and leave. (as long as youve got money).

Edited by Rimmer
Profanity removed

The only good thing on this newspaper article is that no pictures are shown and not pull out the name of the Scottish guy as they normal do so!

Respect more the privacy of these people as it's most done in the newspapers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....does not make sense for the moment....

I have heard of cases similar to this....some people get a high when masturbating and 'hanging' themselves without the intention of killing themselves. I am not advocating that this is the case in this instance but you never know ????

Always the possibility that "ipad charger" is just an unimportant detail and misnomer that wasn't expected to be scrutinized and go all the way up the ladder to Thai Visa for approval............. Just saying....... In other countries there's a reason the first lesson to a rookie is to use the words "no comment" in these situations. Apparently there's no translation for that in Thai.

It might be easier for police here and in their own best interest, if they were all to learn how to get the R and L right, so they could simply be trained to say "read my lips" when talking to reporters to avoid a hell of a lot of problems and time wasted when trying to be transparent.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't and no wonder the latter gets preference .

The well known predicament with suicidal men. Especially young men (20s/40s, Is they do not talk to anyone about their problems/feelings, and just keep it bottled up for years.

The ladies generally, have much better skills in communication and can offload more easily and naturally, in conversations.

A very sad waste indeed.

Edited by Slain

Not really, it shows how so many people are so gullible as to believe everything they read, without thinking about it first.

Edited by dcutman

I doubt too if the ipad charger or even a wardrobe clothes rail can carry such a weight, this is unbelievable, what about the height of the wardrobe clothes rail that could allow a person hanging ???

I doubt too if the ipad charger or even a wardrobe clothes rail can carry such a weight, this is unbelievable, what about the height of the wardrobe clothes rail that could allow a person hanging ???

They don't actually "hang" in the traditional sense.

From what I have read it is something to do with blood pressure building up in the brain which then sends a signal to the heart to stop pumping so much blood to the brain to lower the pressure...eventually leading to a blackout/loss of consciousness.

I might not be exactly right with the detail but apparently that is the gist of what happens...no choking as such.....not while conscious anyway.

That's why people can "hang" themselves from fridge doors and other unlikely spots.

This sounds like the way that the guy that played in the martial arts TV program died forget the name but he was called Grasshopper.

It is a sex game apparently when your are hung you have an orgasim, so they hang themselves close to death for the sex thrill and then stop but sometimes it goes wrong it is called

Auto-Erotic Asphyxia

Please don't try this at home

Not really, it shows how so many people are so gullible as to believe everything they read, without thinking about it first.

Actually, it doesn't.

Talking about not thinking first, who said his whole body weight was hanging from the cord? How many Scottish men and women have you personally met that were his age and weight? How heavy was he?

This is a long way from being unbelievable as you say. "Hanging" is a word used to describe a manner of death in general, it doesn't necessarily mean that he was suspended without touching the floor. There have been reports here recently were someone hanged themselves from a door handle. If someone dies as a result of having a ligature around their neck, touching the floor or not, it is called hanging.

More likely he just choked to death. How can you hang yourself in a closet? There's no drop zone that snaps the neck.

Anyone noticed how most farangs who take their lives here are in their mid forties to late fifties. Theyre too young to get a pension and too old to retrain or get

another job. Women can always have children and go on child support ,free tarnsport ..or sue in the courts for sexual harrassment. Obviously men cant make money these ways.

Men enter no-mans land particularly in their early fifties. Lousy job or no job at all, no family money....,deleted>

Women,migrants and refugees are now celebrated people in the west. Middleaged divorced or single white men may as well pack up and leave. (as long as youve got money).

Are you really not aware women lose the ability to produce offspring at around age 45 ?

Women, migrants and refugees.... no comment needed.

....does not make sense for the moment....

I have heard of cases similar to this....some people get a high when masturbating and 'hanging' themselves without the intention of killing themselves. I am not advocating that this is the case in this instance but you never know ????

In my working life I dealt with a few hangings, including two as a result of auto eroticism gone wrong. I don't think this is really a possibility in this case, unless you "work" for the RTP. I'm pretty sure, without any supporting evidence (again RTP), that nobody travels 10,000k to Phuket just to have a solo session in an exotic location.