Border run on a non-o (Thai spouse)

Hi!

Long time reader but first time poster so first of all, thanks to all the helpful members of the TV forums! I found very useful visa infos and updates here more times than I can count!

I got a multi-entry non-o visa based on marriage to a Thai national in Savannakhet in July. This October I'll need to do a border run to "activate" the next entry and the 3 month extension of stay that go with it.

I have a few questions:

1. I'm in Bangkok, what's the closest and best place to do it? Mukdahan-Savannakhet? Aryanaprathet-Poipet? Is Cambodia still ok for non-o holders border runs?

2. How long should I stay out of Thailand? Can I just cross back in right after getting out? Do I need to enter Laos/Cambodia and make the Lao/Cambodian visa on arrival or can I skip this part?

3. Do I need to bring my marriage certificate and copies of it? Copies of my wife's ID and house book as well? Or they won't ask for it?

Thank you!

1. Any border is fine for a visa holder.

2. Yes you have to enter and exit Laos/Cambodia so you can't skip getting a visa on arrival. Yes you can exit and re-enter straight away.

3. You don't need to take anything. All you need to do is exit Thailand and when you re-enter you will be given another 90 day stay.

Incase you're unaware you can extend your current stay by 30 or 60 days at Bangkok Immigration (1,900 baht) if you want to delay a border hop.

I thought it was called an extension of stay (90 days/3 months) since I already have a visa.

Your visa gives you a 90 day stay every time you enter. This is not an extension of stay.

Any of the 90 day stays can be extended. As you are married you can extend by 30 or 60 days. This would be an extension of stay.

Ok, thanks elviajero :)

An extension at CW would be much more convenient indeed! Can I do it several times without any problem? 90 day entry+30/60 day extension, then exit, re-enter and repeat? (the visa being valid one year, it would save me a trip!)

What are the requirements to get a 60 day extension instead of 30? Just double the fee?

I thought it was called an extension of stay (90 days/3 months) since I already have a visa.

Your visa gives you a 90 day stay every time you enter. This is not an extension of stay.

Any of the 90 day stays can be extended. As you are married you can extend by 30 or 60 days. This would be an extension of stay.

Whoops !

No 30 day extension is available to the OP only the 60 day extension given for the purpose of "visiting his wife"

smile.png

Ok, thanks elviajero smile.png

An extension at CW would be much more convenient indeed! Can I do it several times without any problem? 90 day entry+30/60 day extension, then exit, re-enter and repeat? (the visa being valid one year, it would save me a trip!)

What are the requirements to get a 60 day extension instead of 30? Just double the fee?

Yep.

• You could extend each of your future 90 day stays by 60 days.
  • You can only extend each stay once.
  • The cost of a 60 day extension is the same as a 30 day at 1,900 baht.
  • If you extend each stay you can reduce the borders runs needed in a year to 3.
  • You should be able to get nearly 17 months before needing a new visa.

No financial requirements needed for a 60 day extension.

• Your wife needs to go with you.
  • Original marriage certificate and copy.
  • Copy of your wife's house book.
  • Copy of your wife's ID card.
  • You may also need proof of residence if you are not living at the address in your wife's house book.

Yeah I had no problem in/out for a few days every 2 weeks, bloody thing ran out on 21 of this month, and I was due to come back to Singapore on 22. So down to Embassy today. They open for a couple of hours in the morning for application and between 2 and 3 for collection

Whoops !

No 30 day extension is available to the OP only the 60 day extension given for the purpose of "visiting his wife"

smile.png

Yes you are quite right. thumbsup.gif

Hi Martillo

Here is my advise:

I have a Non-O and live in NE-BKK,.

When i do border run,i check Airasia or Nok Air websites,for a cheap ticket to Hat Yai.

From Hat Yai airport i take bus(40thb) to SOUTHERN BUS TERMINAL in Hat Yai.

There's 2 busterminals in Hat Yat,so tell driver you need to go to SOUTHERN BUS TERMINAL.

From southern bus terminal(platform 24) i take mini van(50thb-1-hour) to Padang Besar border.

When i arrive at immigration,motorcycle taxi ask you,if you need them to drive you.

If you pay him 100thb,he will drive you from Thai check-out to Malaysia check-in and make a turn and drive you back again to the minivan terminal.

It's very very easy.Last time,i was in malaysia for 2 minutes ;-)

And there's never crowded,last time,there was 2 people in front of me when i went out and 3 people in front of me,when i went in again.

I've never paid more than 1700thb for the border run and you'll get some stops so you can have a cold drink/snack and smoke a cigarette,if you want.

It's MUCH MUCH better,instead of sitting in a minivan for many hours to Poipet or other places.

If you have questions,please ask.I will do my best to help you.

i've also made a border run report about it,here on thaivisa

Go in search-box and type BORDER CROSSING IN PADANG BESAR and you can see the report and pictures.

Last time i did it was 2 weeks ago,i had no problems at all.

Regards

Viking