Bus crash in northern Thailand leaves 36 injured

Jonathan Fairfield

Bus crash in northern Thailand leaves 36 injured

post-137452-0-00308500-1443423306_thumb.

Image: Daily News

LAMPHUN:-- A bus crash in Lamphun province has left 36 people injured, one seriously.

The bus, which was travelling between Lampang and Chiang Mai, overturned after it skidded off the roadside and into a ditch in wet conditions just after midnight on Monday 28 September.

Out of the 51 passengers on board, 36 were injured and needing hospital treatment for severe bruising, concussion and broken bones.

The driver, who suffered a broken collarbone, was also described as being in a serious but stable condition when taken to hospital.

Daily News reports that the bus was carrying officials from the Royal Irrigation Department and had been travelling back to Chiang Mai from an outing in Phetchaburi province.

tvn.png
-- 2015-09-28

That's a nasty road, even for a decent driver in a pickup truck in the day time. Night time, wet roads and driving a bus compounds the problems. Next time there, check out the number of spirit houses on top of the hill.

I have to disagree. Enjoy driving that road in all conditions (the road, not me).

I also enjoy driving the road to Pai, but always leave early morning to avoid the idiots.....

I'm told that buses and lorries are not allowed in the outside lane of express ways. Last week on my way to Pattaya I was passed by a convoy of very large buses in the outside lane. I was travelling at 100kph in the inside lane. They passed the police station on highway 7 still in the outside lane with fast travelling cars HAVING to pass them in the middle lane. How safe is that????

Edit: Oh and yes, the road was wet.

Edited by hugh2121

"just after midnight on Monday 28 September" ?? This was posted at 13:55pm on the 28th of September! They must mean on the 27th Sep.

Let's look at it this way?

The bus reportedly crashed after midnight, early on Monday morning September 28th.

This report was posted on ThaiVisa at 1355hrs. or 1.55PM meaning Monday afternoon of the 28th.

There is no such time as 13.55PM, the Thais have some difficulty with the two systems.

Do i detect 2 inside wheels missing on the i rear axel. If so , that will do wonders for the road holding capabilities.

I think it is possible that many long distance buses here and in other countries have twin rear axles but only 2 wheels on the rearmost axle. I am not sure if that rear axle is powered or not.

2 wheels on the front then 4 wheels on rear axle and 2 more wheels on trailing 2nd rear axle. Total 8 tyres.

Edited by ratcatcher