Flying camera

JohnnyJazz

I'm going to Hong Kong next month and while I'm there I'm going to do my Xmas shopping. I'm thinking to buy one of these flying cameras. To be sure not to be disappointed a friend advised me to buy a Walkera Scout X4. It looks nice but it's a bit pricey.

I'm sure that one you gadget buff already owns one of these toys, what are your advises when buying a drone with camera.? First question is are the camera and the drone sold separately or does it make more sense buy them together ? Can you recommend different models, toys for the big boys and maybe some cheaper models for the less fortunate.

PS : I thought about posting in the photography forum but I believe it's more about hi-tech gadgets than cameras but feel free to move it if you think we will get better answers in other section of this forum.

I have several of these for various types of video work. The first thing to realise is that it is a very expensive little hobby. The costs do not only relate to the copter itself, there are also batteries, battery chargers, test equipment for when faults occur - and they occur often. You also need tools and spare parts for when crashes occur - and they occur often.

As a rule of thumb, the value of equipment on the ground, will more or less equal the value of the equipment that is actually in the air. Depending on your technical skills, you will have to balance two things: a) buying a ready-made and all inclusive kit, or B) buying or building something more modular, with interchangeable parts. Option a is initially easier and perhaps cheaper, but option b will be far and away more cost-effective in the future as you will always be able to upgrade, make repairs and swap out pieces of gear.

My advice to someone who has never flown an RC model before: buy something cheap that you wouldn't mind damaging and eventually throwing away; and use it to hone your flying skills until you can control it well, no matter whether it is flying away from you or towards you. There is flight simulator software available which is very useful, but that's another cost for you. After you are comfortable with you little cheap one, then you can move to your more expensive piece of kit with more confidence and with much less risk of crashing it it on your first flight.

One final note is that this is really a two-man hobby, especially if you plan to take serious video. Many flyers have an actual two person set-up where one person does the flying, and a second person does the camera work and this requires two radio transmitters. Even with a single transmitter, you really do need a buddy to keep an eye on where you are flying in relation to buildings and people, and generally for keeping a look-out. In the event of a crash or un-planned descent due to a faulty battery, you as the pilot will need your eyes on the controls and it is very easy to lose sight of your craft in a brief moment of panic. Aside from those obvious things, just having a second pair of hands for carrying all the flight-cases, camera's, chargers, video goggles etc is a must.

Best of luck

All excellent advice. However, before investing a lot of time and money it would be prudent to check that what you intend to do is legal wherever you intend to fly your drone, and what local laws apply to where and how you may fly the vehicle. I recall that one of the early pronouncements from the Thai military Junta was that flying drones with a camera attached was illegal.

I have several of these for various types of video work. The first thing to realise is that it is a very expensive little hobby. The costs do not only relate to the copter itself, there are also batteries, battery chargers, test equipment for when faults occur - and they occur often. You also need tools and spare parts for when crashes occur - and they occur often.

As a rule of thumb, the value of equipment on the ground, will more or less equal the value of the equipment that is actually in the air. Depending on your technical skills, you will have to balance two things: a) buying a ready-made and all inclusive kit, or cool.png buying or building something more modular, with interchangeable parts. Option a is initially easier and perhaps cheaper, but option b will be far and away more cost-effective in the future as you will always be able to upgrade, make repairs and swap out pieces of gear.

My advice to someone who has never flown an RC model before: buy something cheap that you wouldn't mind damaging and eventually throwing away; and use it to hone your flying skills until you can control it well, no matter whether it is flying away from you or towards you. There is flight simulator software available which is very useful, but that's another cost for you. After you are comfortable with you little cheap one, then you can move to your more expensive piece of kit with more confidence and with much less risk of crashing it it on your first flight.

One final note is that this is really a two-man hobby, especially if you plan to take serious video. Many flyers have an actual two person set-up where one person does the flying, and a second person does the camera work and this requires two radio transmitters. Even with a single transmitter, you really do need a buddy to keep an eye on where you are flying in relation to buildings and people, and generally for keeping a look-out. In the event of a crash or un-planned descent due to a faulty battery, you as the pilot will need your eyes on the controls and it is very easy to lose sight of your craft in a brief moment of panic. Aside from those obvious things, just having a second pair of hands for carrying all the flight-cases, camera's, chargers, video goggles etc is a must.

Best of luck

Thanks for this very detailed answer.

You say "My advice to someone who has never flown an RC model before: buy something cheap" Any specific model in mind ? Since I don't go that often anymore to Hong Kong I may end up buying several models for friends and myself. Something cheap to train first and later leave to the kids to play with and something a bit more advanced for when I feel more comfortable.

And maybe buy spare parts too. Which ones you usually need to replace the more often ?

I recall that one of the early pronouncements from the Thai military Junta was that flying drones with a camera attached was illegal.

I guess that flying a camera near a demonstration or near any government building wouldn't be a smart idea but in the middle of nowhere in the country side I don't think any body care, they have much more serious offense to deal with than a falang playing with a flying toy.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Go to RC Groups here: www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

Scroll down to the forum called Multirotor Talk and spend a week reading up as much as possible.

You can probably pick up a Phantom 1 or Phantom 2 off ebay for around 500$ and there are plenty of camera gimbals sold separately too. The video from Phantoms is borderline professional if edited well, so that may do it for you. Post your questions in one of those threads and you will get advice from plenty of guys who spend a lot of time on this hobby. If you go to the DJI website, you will find loads of videos and tutorials too which will give you plenty to think about before you part with your money.

Scroll down to the forum called Multirotor Talk and spend a week reading up as much as possible.

You can probably pick up a Phantom 1 or Phantom 2 off ebay for around 500$ and there are plenty of camera gimbals sold separately too. The video from Phantoms is borderline professional if edited well, so that may do it for you. Post your questions in one of those threads and you will get advice from plenty of guys who spend a lot of time on this hobby. If you go to the DJI website, you will find loads of videos and tutorials too which will give you plenty to think about before you part with your money.

Great information. I had a quick look at the forum you recommend, it seems to have a lot of information about the subjects that interest me. Thank you very much.

Check this out before you throw your money away http://tech.thaivisa.com/flying-drone-thailand-breaking-law/530/

Wrong thread. It's not "ask the lawyer", it's about product recommendation. Please keep on subject. If you don't know anything about drones there are plenty of threads in the general forum that are waiting for your comments.

My apologies for informing you of the use in Thailand. If you are not planning to use your drone in Thailand, there are other forums where you can go and post your questions about product recommendations.

My apologies for informing you of the use in Thailand. If you are not planning to use your drone in Thailand, there are other forums where you can go and post your questions about product recommendations.

Sorry that I hurt your feelings so bad that you woke up at 3:00 am just to come back at me

50175417.jpg

I have a secretary that does the replies for me. She works night shifts and figured that her early morning reply would get your blood pressure up for you upon waking. Send 200 baht for her services to her paypal account. PM me for the details. thumbsup.gif