US Cuts Off Millions In Military Aid To Thailand

george

:o

The US simply can't publicly cheer a military coup, whether it's a good or a bad one. They have to stick to the principles, if only on paper. Imagine what the world reaction would be if they endorsed a military junta from the fist day?

Unless its a US-backed/led military coup?

When the US invades / ######s up liberates a country it is "freedom and democracy". When a country liberates itself, its a "junta".

The only positive thing I have to say about US foreign policy is that their taxpayers are paying through the nose for it. Will they never learn?

No, not as long as the media is one huge propaganda organ. Americans are easily fooled, I oughta know.

The Bush government wants the corporatist Thaksin back in so he can follow suit. Dupe the serfs and loot the country.

You give Bush way more credit than he is due. He's not that bright. I have to laugh when people think he is capable of conspiracies then at the same time say he is stupid. Pick one. Americans have pretty close to zero say in Thailand and this is as it should be. That includes our esteemed :D President. This is a Thai thing and the Thais will work it out as they should.

The law prohibiting funding of Coups is not a bad law. This is a rarity historically for how coups normally replace governements. This is backed by the Thai people with good reason. I think we agree on at least this point. As I have said in other threads it is also not just the US that is halting funding which ....by the way is only temporary. Had Georgy wanted to apply pressure (bad idea) you would have heard his mouthpiece in the UN banging on the pulpit like they do with other bad ideas that matter to them.

The administration is in stall mode. So the Thailand can get its government in place. Then the funds will be released. Those funds don't just go away. They are earmarked. Meaning eventually the new Thai government will ....in all likelyhood....still get those funds.

Cheers.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US simply can't publicly cheer a military coup, whether it's a good or a bad one. They have to stick to the principles, if only on paper. Imagine what the world reaction would be if they endorsed a military junta from the fist day? Why risk PR disaster when nothing will really change - the aid will be resumed, annual exercises will continue, business as usual.

"###### if you do, ###### if you don't" case. That senator is world only chance to force some changes in Burma, btw.

Colpyat, didn't Chuan government treat Burmese as "humantarian" problem, rather than "illegal immigrants" problem, like Thaksin?

I wonder if the revolutionary war that started the US would be considered a coup? :o

Nope. :D Rebellion. It wasn't a military government taking over. I would almost phrase the current situation in Thailand as that.....almost. :D

I think Thailand in response to this should cancel Cobra Gold and start doing joint military training operations with the Chinese.

Finally, close down JUSMAGTHAI (Joint US Military Advisory's Group Thailand http://www.jusmagthai.com/) in Bangkok.

Absolutely brilliant! Have you informed the Thai government of your plan?

Minor detail- The Chinese military may stay in LOS for a looong time after Dragon Gold is over – of course, by invitation of the government elected by the Chinese “Peoples” Army. The wars mentioned below (there are more) were initiated by the peace-loving Chinese communists - still in power. And the Tiananmen Square incident was caused by the CIA, wasn't it?

Quote:

"India: Remember the 1962 Sino-Indian War? The Chinese quietly acclimated an assault force, preparing infantry for high-altitude operations, then conducted a savvy offensive that punished the Indian Army.

Tibet: Mao attacked and occupied Tibet. (Kazakhstan and Mongolia, take note.) Mao claimed Tibet as a "lost Chinese province." The Tibetans still resist Han Chinese domination.

Vietnam: In 1979, China and Vietnam fought a brief but bloody border war. That war told even hard-core Vietnamese cadres that Communist brotherhood was kaput. After the Soviet Union collapsed, Vietnam lacked a major power ally to make the Chinese "colossus to the north" think twice. Hanoi complains of U.S. imperialism, but Asia has experienced millennia of Chinese imperialism." source:

http://www.strategypage.com/onpoint/articles/20010412.asp

Also:

"The State Department says the U-S will suspend 24 (m) million in military funds because U-S law bars sending some kinds of aid to governments that take power by force." source:

http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=547...mp;nav=0Rcx3aIN

The Reagan governemt (Republican) broke the US constitution when it broke the Bolen Amendments and illegally funded the Central American coup. If the powerful want to fund, they fund. The law be damned.

The Bush government does not want to fund. They have established that they are willing to break anything. They don't want to fund Thailand's leaders who have shown the world that military can throw off a corrupt leader with a stranglehold on power.

This is probably symantics to you but Reagan tried this in a non public way. This allowed him to pretend he wasn't doing this. In other words he didn't go before congress and the public and flout I am going to break the law. Bush may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am sure he gets that. He can't fund so congress is aware of it. Your comparing apples to car tires. Not the same scenario at all. Unless you are comparing morals and right and wrong then you have an arguement. But right and wrong have nothing to do with this situation either....and thats unfortunate.

Bottomline ...Thailand gets its money when relations normalize. Relations can't normalize until the interim government is in place. Then it will be business as usual.

God, I can't believe some of these responses. $24 million is nothing more than a slap on the wrist. There is no embargo on military hardware or spare parts. These the things with muscle.

Politicians are scared witless of a military coup, it's like an outbreak of crabs in a whorehouse!

There will always be repercussion for such things.

I wish I could cut to the point as quickly as you. I am in awe. Sums it up perfectly.

The heading for the topic is incorrect and should read US "Suspends" rather than "Cuts Off". I would fully expect this aid to be reinstated and try to read the suspending action as a very measured response to the recent actions.

US warns Thailand on rights

STOCKTON, California - The White House called Tuesday for" a quick return" to democracy in Thailand and warned Thai military leaders that Washington was weighing action beyond US sanctions imposed last week.

Spokeswoman Dana Perino also said in a statement that Thailand's relations with the United States and global image would suffer until it returns to democratic rule.

"We call for clear and unambiguous protection for civil liberties by the interim authorities and the military, and a quick return to democratic elections," she said as US President George W. Bush visited California.

"Thailand's image in the eyes of the world and US-Thai relations will suffer until Thailand returns to its place as a democratic leader in Asia," she said while Bush raised money for his Republican party ahead of November elections.

Perino said the United States had "noted" the appointment of retired General Surayud Chulanont as interim prime minister, as well as the promulgation of an interim constitution.

"We remain concerned by restrictions on civil liberties, provisions in the draft constitution that appear to give the military an ongoing and influential role in decision-making, and the lengthy timetable for democratic elections," she said.

"Following the implementation of Section 508 sanctions last week, we are assessing additional next steps to be taken," she warned.

The United States halted 24 million dollars in military aid from Thailand last week in protest at the September 19 coup by top generals who ousted civilian prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra over corruption allegations.

The sanctions jolted years of close links between US forces and Thailand, a non-NATO ally -- the closest US designation a foreign military not a member of the Western alliance can enjoy.

Some aid deemed crucial to US national security was spared, notably in the field of counterterrorism, in which the kingdom has emerged as a low-key, yet valued partner in the US battle against Al-Qaeda.

Agence France-Presse

Mmm, this coming from a guy who ignored terrorist threat warnings along with recommendations from the previous administration on how to counter such threats and then lied his way to Iraq and still hasn't been impeached. I'd tell him to go <deleted> himself in Burma and have a second round at it using the other hand in Darfur.

I can't believe these comments were honest, there just has to be another reason behind, like an FTA accord or some other possible endangered deal with the Thaksin regime

Edited by Tony Clifton

Mmm, this coming from a guy who ignored terrorist threat warnings along with recommendations from the previous administration on how to counter such threats and then lied his way to Iraq and still hasn't been impeached. I'd tell him to go <deleted> himself in Burma and have a second round at it using the other hand in Darfur.

I can't believe these comments were honest, there just has to be another reason behind, like an FTA accord or some other possible endangered deal with the Thaksin regime

Whatever their own misdeeds, the criticism regarding civil liberties here in Thailand is more than justified.

Whatever their own misdeeds, the criticism regarding civil liberties here in Thailand is more than justified.

But I didnt hear the Bush regime criticizing and withdrawing aid over the lack of civil liberties under the previous regime in Thailand which actually killed quite as lot of people, so criticism doesnt seem evenhanded.

Spokeswoman Dana Perino also said in a statement that Thailand's relations with the United States and global image would suffer until it returns to democratic rule.

The global image of Thailand's coup is already bad. It will be up to the interim government to improve it. Does this Dana Perino know much about Thailand or is she reading off from a prepared scipt :o As long as Thailand support US foreign policy/business, relations with the US will be fine. It doen't matter if Sarayuth or Mickey mouse becomes premier :D

STOCKTON, California - The White House called Tuesday for" a quick return" to democracy in Thailand and warned Thai military leaders that Washington was weighing action beyond US sanctions imposed last week.

"We call for clear and unambiguous protection for civil liberties by the interim authorities and the military, and a quick return to democratic elections," she said as US President George W. Bush visited California.

"Thailand's image in the eyes of the world and US-Thai relations will suffer until Thailand returns to its place as a democratic leader in Asia," she said while Bush raised money for his Republican party ahead of November elections.

Perino said the United States had "noted" the appointment of retired General Surayud Chulanont as interim prime minister, as well as the promulgation of an interim constitution.

"We remain concerned by restrictions on civil liberties, provisions in the draft constitution that appear to give the military an ongoing and influential role in decision-making, and the lengthy timetable for democratic elections," she said.

"Following the implementation of Section 508 sanctions last week, we are assessing additional next steps to be taken," she warned.

The United States halted 24 million dollars in military aid from Thailand last week in protest at the September 19 coup by top generals who ousted civilian prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra over corruption allegations.

The sanctions jolted years of close links between US forces and Thailand, a non-NATO ally -- the closest US designation a foreign military not a member of the Western alliance can enjoy.

Some aid deemed crucial to US national security was spared, notably in the field of counterterrorism, in which the kingdom has emerged as a low-key, yet valued partner in the US battle against Al-Qaeda.

Agence France-Presse

Having just watched Asia News earlier today and heard the latest comments from the U.S. administration.

I find it very difficult not to feel anger towards them and their distortion of the facts.

Yet again the latest statement they released had a total showing of ignorance as to what happened before the coup and after.

( Refusal to recognise the truth of the situation )

The U.S. state they will now be watching and observing all the actions taken by the new P.M and making sure that, among other things:-

1) Democracy is restored as soon as possible to an elected civilian power and it,s control.

2) Restrictions are lifted on the media and the movements of civilians to be allowed.

3) Human rights are re instated and restored to the way they where before.

4) The situation in the South is now of great concern and that the military do not agitate it further now it has taken power.

5) The Thai people must be allowed freedom and not be restricted.

( Never mind that certain groups would / could threaten their safety and undermine security )

Forgive me if i,m mistaken and mixed up but,

I was under the impression having spent the majority of the last 5 years out here that ALL the above points where put in place by Toxin during his questionable premiership.

Indeed the coup has now restored a sense of security and much more freedom along with new hope for the future where it was total chaos before.

Why does the U.S continue to ignore the reality of what and why these actions where taken in the first place.

These quotes are in total conflict to my observations on the ground.

Their statements should state the reality and get behind Thailand and the restoration of a new constitution that cannot be exploited by unethitical officials and their advisors ever again.

Along with other preventative actions and creating new institutions to monitor it all.

NOT undermine what is now taking place and distort the following, which among other things is:-

To restore unity and avert what would surely have spilled much bloodshed and polarity we can can only imagine that would have taken place.

After all they cannot plead ignorance as they must have had their diplomats communicating all the unrest, and the Actions of the last P.M.

Also how democracy was turning into a potential powder keg with god only knows how much anger and bloodshed that was getting more threatening daily amid the chaos Toxin was creating.

Again U.S. diplomats seem to have been walking about with their eyes and ears closed and oblivious to all that gradually occured, either that or the U.S. adminstration had reason to ignore all their reports, with the latter being more relevant and to the point and done for selfish American interests and certainly not Thailands.

Regarding the South in particular, everyone knows it was Toxin and his continual dislike for these

people and rather than have dialogue, chose to use muscle and force and totally ignore human rights.

He even tried to stop the militaries attempts to start fresh dialogue and understanding of the real causes of situation.

It is no coincidence that things have started to improve in comparison to the situation pre Toxin and hopefully will continue without outside interference.

In my humble opinion of course

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

US cuts off millions in military aid to Thailand

As ever the America appears to be a "Fair Weather Friend"! I cannot help wondering what G.W.'s reaction would be if Thailand were to cancel it's agreement allowing U.S. bases here in Thailand. The current "Big Brother" attitude of it's incumbant president, certainly worries me. What do other forum members think? :o

i think you are clueless. the u.s. cut off aid because the u.s. supports DEMOCRACY and this country just ousted a TWICE-ELECTED PRIME MINISTER. get it now?

i expected to see all kinds of idiotic reponses to this topic and therefore didn't even look at it until now. thanks for not keeping me waiting and giving me what i expected in the very first post.

US cuts off millions in military aid to Thailand

As ever the America appears to be a "Fair Weather Friend"! I cannot help wondering what G.W.'s reaction would be if Thailand were to cancel it's agreement allowing U.S. bases here in Thailand. The current "Big Brother" attitude of it's incumbant president, certainly worries me. What do other forum members think? :o

i think you are clueless. the u.s. cut off aid because the u.s. supports DEMOCRACY and this country just ousted a TWICE-ELECTED PRIME MINISTER. get it now?

i expected to see all kinds of idiotic reponses to this topic and therefore didn't even look at it until now. thanks for not keeping me waiting and giving me what i expected in the very first post.

As ever..your post is not well thought out. I am not even sure where to start. It appears you have made up your mind while convienently ignoring facts.

1) you managed to ignore the fact there was a law requiring the cut off of aid.

2) you managed to direct all criticism at the US for criticism of a coup without an understanding that most coups in the past have not been supported by the people of the country a coup occured in. Thus the law prohibiting funds.

3) you managed to ignore criticism from all other countries as if the US is the only one hoping a government is quickly formed.

4) you managed to forget the money poored into Thialand for Thai people in there hour of need during the tsunami and tie all Americans to George Bush as if we are all brainless. The funds halted for military aid was dwarfed by the money donated for the Tsunami and in yearly business.

I could go on but my bet is you will continue to have your opinion no matter what the facts are. Bush is a moron but on occasion even morons screw up and do something right.

Cheers.

But I didnt hear the Bush regime criticizing and withdrawing aid over the lack of civil liberties under the previous regime in Thailand which actually killed quite as lot of people, so criticism doesnt seem evenhanded.

You just need to know where to look:

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2005/61628.htm

I find it very difficult not to feel anger towards them and their distortion of the facts.

Yet again the latest statement they released had a total showing of ignorance as to what happened before the coup and after.

The U.S. state they will now be watching and observing all the actions taken by the new P.M and making sure that, among other things:-

1) Democracy is restored as soon as possible to an elected civilian power and it,s control.

2) Restrictions are lifted on the media and the movements of civilians to be allowed.

4) The situation in the South is now of great concern and that the military do not agitate it further now it has taken power.

( Never mind that certain groups would / could threaten their safety and undermine security )

I was under the impression having spent the majority of the last 5 years out here that ALL the above points where put in place by Toxin during his questionable premiership.

Indeed the coup has now restored a sense of security and much more freedom along with new hope for the future where it was total chaos before.

Why does the U.S continue to ignore the reality of what and why these actions where taken in the first place.

Its just politics in action....

They are listing down things that are already underway so that when they are done and all of the outside world see them done, they can come out and say -

"look Thailand listened to us the "all-mighty US" and sorted their act out We are powerfull and are working in the best interests of the whole world, if we had not stepped in and cut off military aid and had not given those generals a bit of a talking to, who knows what would have happened. See we have come to the rescue of democracy once again .. Hi ho Silver ..."

You just need to know where to look:

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2005/61628.htm

Yes admittedly there was one of those reports. I still didnt see any cutting of aid or the secretary of state making comments, but then again I wouldnt expect the Bush regime to really know what was going on in the world, and they have never been fair in their criticisms.

Today's article in BP reminded me of something quite off the topic.

Here's a quote from Aung Zaw is editor of the ''Irrawaddy'' magazine based in Chiang Mai.

"Many Burmese refugees living along Thailand's border will also have fond memories of GenSurayud. When he became army chief in 1998 under Chuan Leekpai's Democrat government, he endorsed a policy of not pushing back refugees who fled from war and persecution in Burma. Gen Surayud was always an outspoken critic of Burma's major role in Thailand's massive drug problem, particularly the increasing flow from the Wa territory of methamphetamines. His no-nonsense approach to Rangoon often frustrated the regime's friends in Thailand, such as then defence minister Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyudh. Gen Chavalit had developed special relations with Burma's ruling generals, whom he called ''my brothers''.

The army commander was particularly decisive in handling often volatile situations along the Burmese border. He formed special units in northern Thailand to counter the flow of drugs arriving from the Wa hills, and even forced the Burmese to close checkpoints suspected of allowing drug caravans to pass through. The tense border situation resulted in some skirmishes between Thai and Burmese troops."

Totally different picture from the one described earlier:

"Under the Chuan government the Thai Army allowed, after the fall of Mannerplaw, and the split of the Buddhist Karen from the KNU, that the Buddhist Karen and the Burmese army attacked countless refugee camps in cross border incursions, making the Mae Sot - Mae Sariang highway nearly impassable for over a year. Many refugee camps on Thai soil were burned down, KNLA leaders were killed, camp leaders were kidnapped."

Back on topic - how does US view Surayud? They must have had quite a few Cobra Gold exercises together. Do they view him as one of the generals who profited from Burma's troubles?

Today's article in BP reminded me of something quite off the topic.

Here's a quote from Aung Zaw is editor of the ''Irrawaddy'' magazine based in Chiang Mai.

"Many Burmese refugees living along Thailand's border will also have fond memories of GenSurayud. When he became army chief in 1998 under Chuan Leekpai's Democrat government, he endorsed a policy of not pushing back refugees who fled from war and persecution in Burma. Gen Surayud was always an outspoken critic of Burma's major role in Thailand's massive drug problem, particularly the increasing flow from the Wa territory of methamphetamines. His no-nonsense approach to Rangoon often frustrated the regime's friends in Thailand, such as then defence minister Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyudh. Gen Chavalit had developed special relations with Burma's ruling generals, whom he called ''my brothers''.

The army commander was particularly decisive in handling often volatile situations along the Burmese border. He formed special units in northern Thailand to counter the flow of drugs arriving from the Wa hills, and even forced the Burmese to close checkpoints suspected of allowing drug caravans to pass through. The tense border situation resulted in some skirmishes between Thai and Burmese troops."

Totally different picture from the one described earlier:

"Under the Chuan government the Thai Army allowed, after the fall of Mannerplaw, and the split of the Buddhist Karen from the KNU, that the Buddhist Karen and the Burmese army attacked countless refugee camps in cross border incursions, making the Mae Sot - Mae Sariang highway nearly impassable for over a year. Many refugee camps on Thai soil were burned down, KNLA leaders were killed, camp leaders were kidnapped."

Back on topic - how does US view Surayud? They must have had quite a few Cobra Gold exercises together. Do they view him as one of the generals who profited from Burma's troubles?

I have posted before already that not all that is stated conforms to reality.

Interesting that the situation with drugs exploded exactly under that same Chuan government, and that especially during this time the flow of drugs from the Wa territories were the highest. :o

Only under Thaksin the flow of meta-amphetamines decreased, though the methods emploeyed were abhorable.

A major factor of the drug business was that midranked officers of region 3 were heavily investing into drugs together with midranked Wa officers. That was going on almost unpunished under Chuan.

Refugee camps were burned down en masse after the fall of Mannerplaw, when Chuan was PM. This is an undeniable fact. I remember this time very well.

Edited by ColPyat

Agence France-Presse

Having just watched Asia News earlier today and heard the latest comments from the U.S. administration.

These quotes are in total conflict to my observations on the ground.

Their statements should state the reality and get behind Thailand and the restoration of a new constitution that cannot be exploited by unethitical officials and their advisors ever again.

Along with other preventative actions and creating new institutions to monitor it all.

NOT undermine what is now taking place and distort the following, which among other things is:-

To restore unity and avert what would surely have spilled much bloodshed and polarity we can can only imagine that would have taken place.

After all they cannot plead ignorance as they must have had their diplomats communicating all the unrest, and the Actions of the last P.M.

Also how democracy was turning into a potential powder keg with god only knows how much anger and bloodshed that was getting more threatening daily amid the chaos Toxin was creating.

Again U.S. diplomats seem to have been walking about with their eyes and ears closed and oblivious to all that gradually occured, either that or the U.S. adminstration had reason to ignore all their reports, with the latter being more relevant and to the point and done for selfish American interests and certainly not Thailands.

Regarding the South in particular, everyone knows it was Toxin and his continual dislike for these

people and rather than have dialogue, chose to use muscle and force and totally ignore human rights.

He even tried to stop the militaries attempts to start fresh dialogue and understanding of the real causes of situation.

It is no coincidence that things have started to improve in comparison to the situation pre Toxin and hopefully will continue without outside interference.

In my humble opinion of course

marshbags :o:D:D

Good one marshbags :D

Total US foreign policy shambles as ever. The USA needs Thai assistance more than we need 24 million dollars believe me.

Look at the terrorist and drug efforts of the Thais over the past year. They need Thailand to be anti Burma which they are more likely to be under the new regime. The CDRM do not cosy up to the Burmese in order to sell them telecomunnications.

In the meantime, the retard Bush is critising Burma for being the SECOND largest opium supplier in the world!!!! Thats second behind Afganistan that is controlled by who!!!! Answers on a post card to Condi Rice.

BTW why do the yanks fight their drugs problem in Cental America, Afghanistan, Burma, Thailand and Laos. Can they not control their own borders or population? Of course they cannot, yet they seem to think they can control the populations of numerous other countries round the world.

How about a war on drugs in your own country! Once you are all living the clean life in the states, the evil drug barrons will nave nobody to sell to.

Good luck to the CDRM, the corrupt in Thailand are at least being given pause for thought. Hope it lasts.

Edited by Steph1012

Refugee camps were burned down en masse after the fall of Mannerplaw, when Chuan was PM. This is an undeniable fact. I remember this time very well.

Mannerplaw fell in January 1995 when Chuan government, FIVE party coalition, was under the same pressure as TRT this year. He eventaully dissolved the parlament in May. I doubt he had full control over what generals on the border were up to.

Chuan should be better judged for his Burmese policies of more recent times, past economic crisis - that's also when Surayud was the army chief.

Edited by Plus

Mannerplaw fell in January 1995 when Chuan government, FIVE party coalition, was under the same pressure as TRT this year. He eventaully dissolved the parlament in May. I doubt he had full control over what generals on the border were up to.

And exactly the same way nobody appearantly seemed to have any control post '97 when the drugs came over the border in massive amounts, when almost openly midranked region 3 officers, Wa, and whoever was associated with them have shown off their wealth generated from the trade. That was under Surayud's watch.

The only one who effectively disturbed that trade, and controlled the officers, was Thaksin, albeit with horrendous methods against small scale dealers and traffickers from the minorities.

Everyone seems to point the finger at the Yanks, but the rest of the world is doing the same as the Yanks. You don't support coups for fking obvious reasons - its called anarchy. Relationships with the west will be back to normal once an ELECTED governement is in place.

Everyone seems to point the finger at the Yanks, but the rest of the world is doing the same as the Yanks. You don't support coups for fking obvious reasons - its called anarchy. Relationships with the west will be back to normal once an ELECTED governement is in place.

...and at least when civil liberties and rights are returned will the rest of the world stop protesting.

The official statement of the EU regarding the coup:

EU Presidency statement on the military coup in Thailand

20 Sep 2006, 01:00

Press release 367/2006

20 September, 2006

The Presidency of the European Union condemns the take-over of power from the democratic government of Thailand by the Thai military forces.

The Presidency demands that the military forces stand back and give way to the democratically elected political government.

Thailand has been living several years without major political turmoil. The Presidency wishes that Thailand will soon be able to return to democratic order.

U.S.A. - keep your f**king nose out of other people's business !

38_p.jpg

Comandante Hermano Lobo

just as "commandants" keep their "noses" out of others. so i guess you are trying to state, that all the "good" that comes out of the u.s.a. should NOT be made available to those that denounce them. you seem to "forget" which countries in this day and age are contributing a "most" substantial amount of "universal" benefit. think medicine, science, education, etc. etc.