GlassCoating, and other stuff to make a shiny car

1 hour ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Just get it waxes at a good car cleaning place, polishing it your self in this climate, no thanks, I pay 450 for a good valet and wax too cheap to do yourself.

MM  ... 'unfortunately' we don't all live in your 'neck of the woods' so OMMV ... (I just made OMMV up) :smile:

28 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Polishing is not something to 2 twice a month. It seems that you confuse with wax.

Anyway, I am only talking about a finishing spray, not wax, clay or polish.

Her you are ... straight form Readers Digest.  Wash your car with a hair conditioner containing lanolin. You'll become a believer when you see the freshly waxed look, and when you find that the surface will repel rain.

You don't even need to spray .... who can beat that suggestion ...   of course I wouldn't try it on any of our cars :smile:

• Like 1

Nu finish is not a wax, you apply it with a damp cloth or sponge, a small amount covers a large area

I brought some from Australia after i paid 5,000 baht to have a small car here polished with a similar product with a different name, which they told me after doing the job needed another application in 3 months, so same,same

I have seen it for sale in the large tesco lotus store at Phuket 

Takes about 30 minutes for 2 people to polish a dual cab pickup, one applying and one removing

No hard rubbing required, just make sure vehicle is freshly washed before applying

About 300 baht instead of 5,000 baht for 30 minutes work, we will do it ourselves anytime, that's why i can afford to pay cash for things, i have never thrown my money away like some people do:smile:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Nu finish is not a wax, you apply it with a damp cloth or sponge, a small amount covers a large area

I brought some from Australia after i paid 5,000 baht to have a small car here polished with a similar product with a different name, which they told me after doing the job needed another application in 3 months, so same,same

I have seen it for sale in the large tesco lotus store at Phuket 

Takes about 30 minutes for 2 people to polish a dual cab pickup, one applying and one removing

No hard rubbing required, just make sure vehicle is freshly washed before applying

About 300 baht instead of 5,000 baht for 30 minutes work, we will do it ourselves anytime, that's why i can afford to pay cash for things, i have never thrown my money away like some people do:smile:

Interesting reading ... http://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/nu-finish.html     think that I have seen it in TescoLotus, covered in dust ...:smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Looks more like a cheap sealant (covering scratches) than a polish to me...

I notice in one of your posts you state that you had to pick up a car for coating

not actually impartial are you about competing products are you ??

Edited by madmax2

7 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Do you think that it's pure crap ?

TBH I don't know about the pure bit ... from what I read it will make the swirls stand out really nicely. There is only really one way to find out.

Or get some Si-700 from Thai Washer Car Club, that stuff is ok ... it is spray-on ...I'll sell you mine as I don't need it anymore.

Why do you want some spray on stuff ... any modern wax is a 'P of P' to apply and polish off ..Autoglym HD is probably the easiest ....costs more than Si-700 though

over and out .....................

2 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

TBH I don't know about the pure bit ... from what I read it will make the swirls stand out really nicely. There is only really one way to find out.

Or get some Si-700 from Thai Washer Car Club, that stuff is ok ... it is spray-on ...I'll sell you mine as I don't need it anymore.

Why do you want some spray on stuff ... any modern wax is a 'P of P' to apply and polish off ..Autoglym HD is probably the easiest ....costs more than Si-700 though

over and out .....................

Hello, car is coated (but I forgot the brand from USA) but not very shiny.

Do you think that your spray can help ?

Can you send me a PM if I can buy it ? and show me some links / video to know how it works ?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Hello, car is coated (but I forgot the brand from USA) but not very shiny.

Do you think that your spray can help ?

Can you send me a PM if I can buy it ? and show me some links / video to know how it works ?

Thank you.

Many on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U4S0UK1YLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfDWaJFau0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kt9XUf_tog

There are many coatings that you can apply to car paintwork. BUT all of them need the car polishing before application. Please understand that polishing is done with an orbital polishing machine and using a mild abrasive 'compound' actually called polish to finish. You then IPA (if you don't know what IPA is ... look it up). So you end up with a clean shiny surface on which to apply 'whatever you want'. 

Here is how you polish ... www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4CdJ_DSzo8 ... well the first few seconds anyway :smile:

Depending on what the 'whatever you want' is it will either lock in the shine, improve it, or make the surface harder (or maybe all three) so that it is harder to scratch, but not much. Although the latest so called 9H glass coating are much more scratch resistant than in the past.

Basically if your paintwork is dull, and it is coated .... probably bad luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madmax2 said:

I notice in one of your posts you state that you had to pick up a car for coating

not actually impartial are you about competing products are you ??

Mr JoeW has, among other businesses a Detailing Shop in Kalasin and I can assure you that he is a professional ... unlike some others on here . 

• Like 1

Plenty of videos about nu finish on U tube, but one i watched is rubbish, he puts enough nu finish on half a bonnet to polish the whole are twice and then buffs it with a electric buffer

The bloke is probably a car detailing expert

The correct way to apply it is on a damp cloth or sponge, i use one of the small round polishing sponges you can buy from tesco, you apply a small amount on the sponge then dob it over a area of about 1/2 sqm then spread it evenly without rubbing hard, once dried to a milky like appearance just buff it of lightly, the car must be clean before you start

No need for pre polishing it the paint is in good condition and it comes up with a brilliant shine that lasts

Check out some of the U tube videos for yourself,if you really want to know how it works 

Edited by madmax2

12 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Mr JoeW has, among other businesses a Detailing Shop in Kalasin and I can assure you that he is a professional ... unlike some others on here . 

So what, my ex wife had a car detailing business and she mainly did work for car dealers who are a lot more fussy than private individuals

You do not need a university degree or any special skills to do it, just watch and learn, even you could do it after a couple of days training:shock1: 

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

So what, my ex wife had a car detailing business and she mainly did work for car dealers who are a lot more fussy than private individuals

You do not need a university degree or any special skills to do it, just watch and learn, even you could do it after a couple of days training:shock1: 

Well you didn’t learn much from her, did you. Still using a product that was developed in the 1980’s … things have moved on more than ‘just a little’ since then.

You are correct, anyone can try and detail a car, but how good a job they do is another matter.

New_20161122_102022.jpg.77552fc8c070f8e1783669aba6327b76.jpg

New_New_20170418_174747.jpg.c8ab216717749ba44101fd9675f1c968.jpg

Lets have a pic of yours with 1980's magic.

By the way this Car, my wife has had from new in 1996 and we both still use it as a runaround ....

Enjoy ... :smile::smile::smile:

Over the years cleaning and polishing cars has certainly evolved. As a teen it only involved a squirt of Fairy Liquid and a sponge. Followed by a leather off and occasional polish with Turtle wax from a rusted tin.

Nowadays it's called "detailing" and there are reams of info and products online.

The whole concept of Glass or Ceramic coating was new to me. TBH I don't think I would have originally taken the car and paid to have it done.

However a "detail" and Glass coat was included in the purchase package.

Now I've seen a worth in it and will take the wife's Mazda in for the treatment.

Must say I'm impressed so far. The car had a great showroom shine when delivered. And in the following weeks it has remained looking very good. I usually wash it myself as it's more convenient than taking it to a wash shop. Really like the way the dirt and road grime rinses off. Very little seems to stick to the surface. 

Quick rinse with water, spray with foam, rinse again and dry with new fangled micro fibre towel.

Despite the glass coat I still like to polish with a carnuba detailing spray. Very quick and gives a great shine.

IMG_4436.thumb.JPG.41e84cb7d80bc5ff7c995dd50308542c.JPGIMG_4437.thumb.JPG.3d743cdb19d81c092123843d140f8be9.JPGIMG_4439.thumb.JPG.a7aacd38fcf56897900b7211375871b1.JPG

Edited by Pdaz

6 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Over the years cleaning and polishing cars has certainly evolved. As a teen it only involved a squirt of Fairy Liquid and a sponge. Followed by a leather off and occasional polish with Turtle wax from a rusted tin.

Nowadays it's called "detailing" and there are reams of info and products online.

The whole concept of Glass or Ceramic coating was new to me. TBH I don't think I would have originally taken the car and paid to have it done.

Now I've seen a worth in it and will take the wife's Mazda in for the treatment.

Must say I'm impressed so far. The car had a great showroom shine when delivered. And in the following weeks it has remained looking very good. I usually wash it myself as it's more convenient than taking it to a wash shop. Really like the way the dirt and road grime rinses off. Very little seems to stick to the surface. 

Quick rinse with water, spray with foam, rinse again and dry with new fangled micro fibre towel.

Despite the glass coat I still like to polish with a carnuba detailing spray. Very quick and gives a great shine.

IMG_4436.thumb.JPG.41e84cb7d80bc5ff7c995dd50308542c.JPGIMG_4437.thumb.JPG.3d743cdb19d81c092123843d140f8be9.JPGIMG_4439.thumb.JPG.a7aacd38fcf56897900b7211375871b1.JPG

Are these wax and shampoo good ? How much and where do you buy them ? Thank you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Chemical Guys stuff is good ... but I haven't had a lot of success with any wax staying on the glass coating for long ... looks good when you first do it though. And that grey come up better than most colours.

ps ... how fast do you have to be doing before the spoiler cuts in :smile:.  

"ps ... how fast do you have to be doing before the spoiler cuts in :smile:."

I doubt it does much on a trip down to Foodland. But as the car supposedly tops out at 270KPH it must be there for something :whistling:

Yes metallic grey is an easy colour for a good glossy look. 

The wax shine seems to last. But I'm really no expert, I have to read up more on what ( if anything ) should be used on top of glass coating.

Edited by Pdaz

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...