Thai Air To Nyc, Than Transit On Other Airline...

austallia_1980

I fly from Bangkok to NYC. I pick up my luggage in NYC. I then check my luggage again on the next flight to Chicago.

When I fly back to NYC from Chicago, am I supposed to pick up my luggage inside of the airport again? Am I supposed to tell them that my Chicago-NYC is a transit flight?

You can check it through to the final destination. Your ticket will reflect the transit. It is only when entering the USA that you have to clear customs at the point of first entry.

I fly from Bangkok to NYC. I pick up my luggage in NYC. I then check my luggage again on the next flight to Chicago.

When I fly back to NYC from Chicago, am I supposed to pick up my luggage inside of the airport again? Am I supposed to tell them that my Chicago-NYC is a transit flight?

You can check it through to the final destination. Your ticket will reflect the transit. It is only when entering the USA that you have to clear customs at the point of first entry.

How will the domestic airline know that i have a connecting flight on different airline?

How will the domestic airline know that i have a connecting flight on different airline?

I think you can only check it through to destination where all the legs are with the same airline (or ones that work together, like code sharing). If not you have to collect baggage and go to check in again.

totster :o

Who is the other airline??

Normally after you go through customs with your bags there will be a recheck place where you drop your bags off before you exit the international terminal. If its a partnered airline you'd drop it off at same airline you flew with, normally checked through to your final destination. If its a non partnered airline - you need to recheck luggage at their specific counter. If the airline doesnt do international flights I'd assume you'd need to recheck at the domestic terminal.

Edited by britmaveric

I think you can only check it through to destination where all the legs are with the same airline (or ones that work together, like code sharing). If not you have to collect baggage and go to check in again.

What if someone was transiting in Don Meung? They would have to go through immigration to get to their luggage.

What if someone was transiting in Don Meung? They would have to go through immigration to get to their luggage.

Well... thats irrelevent now..

But when DM was open, if you were coming into the international terminals and had a domestic flight onwards, then you would have to go through immigration, collect baggage and go to the domestic terminal to check in (unless it was with Thai Air, where you coud be booked through to destination).

But.. that was then

Absolutely wrong.

Airlines have been interlining baggage (the standard term for the practice) since Charles Lindbergh flew for them (well, more or less). You check in your bags at your point of origin and they are tagged all the way to your destination. When you get to your destination, if you are lucky, they will even arrive with you.

Too many people on this board, in my view, are very quick to answer poster's questions when they have no idea what they are talking about. Actually knowing something is generally seen by most people as a prerequisite for giving advice to others.

Absolutely wrong.

Airlines have been interlining baggage (the standard term for the practice) since Charles Lindbergh flew for them (well, more or less). You check in your bags at your point of origin and they are tagged all the way to your destination. When you get to your destination, if you are lucky, they will even arrive with you.

Too many people on this board, in my view, are very quick to answer poster's questions when they have no idea what they are talking about. Actually knowing something is generally seen by most people as a prerequisite for giving advice to others.

My apologies if I have got it wrong.. that was just my understanding of how it worked.. to be honest, my experience is limited where international flights change to domestic flights.. and I based my answer on my experience and not industry knowledge.

I am happy to have learnt something new.. that is of course what forums are good for..

It was definately not my intention to misinform anyone.

Cheers

totster :D

Absolutely wrong.

How do will they know that i have a connecting flight? i tell them at check in?

Absolutely wrong.

Well Mr. Know it All, please explain then why when you fly EVA from the USA to BKK then THAI Air onto Chiangmai, they do NOT send your bags on, but make you collect them and clear immigration in BKK! You can even try going to the transfer desk and you are refused service...... Explain that based upon your superior information on how the system really works...... :o

Absolutely wrong.

Well Mr. Know it All, please explain then why when you fly EVA from the USA to BKK then THAI Air onto Chiangmai, they do NOT send your bags on, but make you collect them and clear immigration in BKK! You can even try going to the transfer desk and you are refused service...... Explain that based upon your superior information on how the system really works...... :o

I'd be interested to hear your explanation also OHA. It seems that I am not the only one who has experienced things as I posted earlier, which you labelled "Absolutely wrong"

This has all gone very wobbly.

Austallia ... It is very simple ... Ask the person at the Chicago check in ! :o

If it is a short transit time, then I'm sure they will suggest that your baggage be checked directly

through to Bkk.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Depends on how much you trust the airlines/airport to handle luggage (speaking for myself, very little). Play on the side of sanity: check it through to NYC, clear customs, personally deliver the luggage when you check in for the Chicago flight.

Should your luggage fail to appear when you arrive in Chicago, you can say with certainty that it was delivered to them, they lost it. Otherwise, the fingers will start being pointed about the possible other entities who lost it; investigation will commenced and well, these things take time.

This is all a pile of rubbish, a lot of ppl are giving advices and it is obvious that they've never flown into USA (at least not recently)..

When you fly into USA, at the counter in Bangkok you will check your luggage like this:

Final Destination: ORD via JFK - however, when you clear immigration in JFK, you will collect your luggage and go through customs. Then you will drop your bags at the "drop off" zone, and with a bit of luck, they should arrive into ORD (Chicago O'Hare airport).

When you go back, you will check your bags in Chicago: Fin. dest: BKK via JFK, and you will not see them until Bangkok.

Hope this clarifies.

This is all a pile of rubbish, a lot of ppl are giving advices and it is obvious that they've never flown into USA (at least not recently)..

When you fly into USA, at the counter in Bangkok you will check your luggage like this:

Final Destination: ORD via JFK - however, when you clear immigration in JFK, you will collect your luggage and go through customs. Then you will drop your bags at the "drop off" zone, and with a bit of luck, they should arrive into ORD (Chicago O'Hare airport).

When you go back, you will check your bags in Chicago: Fin. dest: BKK via JFK, and you will not see them until Bangkok.

Hope this clarifies.

Depends who the flight is with.... if its one of those cheapie airlines such as Southwest seriously doubt they have a drop off after you clear customs.