Brit to Italy to live with Thai Wife

Starting off as to the reasons for this move to avoid any flare ups later in the thread. I need to move closer to home for various reasons that I don't want to go into. Initially we were planning on taking the plunge straight back to the UK, and have been planning this for nearly 4 months. 3 dogs needed to be taken into consideration and they have passed all of their relevant tests, blood tests, jabs, and for Italy they could fly tomorrow, but need to wait until mid November for the UK. Anyway, in the 4 months I have been contemplating living the the UK again, including a visit back there, I actually do not want to live there at all. Coupled to this that I am self employed, and I would actually have to get a job in the UK to get the Visa as I don't have 90 grand sat earning nothing in a bank account, and they will not let me start my own company there and carry on what I am doing now. So, my mind starts wondering to the point that I always planned on retiring in Italy so why not move there now? Carry on working for myself for the next 20 years or what ever and then put my feet up on a box of montepulciano bottles and relax.

So getting to the knotty gritty.

As I understand it, I can go to the Italian consulate with my passport, my wifes passport (and her), some other proofs of ID, marriage certificate (translated and stamped by the Thai Ministry of Stamping this stuff), fill in a form and get a visa for her. Once there, after 90 days, do all the gubbins there for her to remain with me there permanently.

1 - What visa should she apply for? Any? A specific one?

2 - When she is there, after three months, she registers with me locally that we are planning to stay long term and get a card. What happens with the Visa? Need a new one or is the system sensible that says that she has the card now, so has permission to remain?

3 - Can she work?

Thats about it really. I was thinking of Spain as well, but having read all the reports on here, they seem to make a very straightforward EU systems bloomin complicated with their "UK validated Thai marriage" requirement and I can not be bothered with all.... especially as I prefer Italian food and wine to Spanish.

The procedure should be as straightforward as you describe; the regulations are the same for all EEA states. But each country has their own way of dealing with applications.

The advice on the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website is

 Note: in the case of visa applications submitted by the family members (spouses, children or parents) of citizens of Italy or other European Union Member States, we suggest you contact the competent Italian Embassy/Consulate.

So all I suggest is that you do so.

Italian Embassy, Bangkok.

Once she has her residence card, that should be it, until she has been resident for 5 years and can apply for permanent residence.

Yes, she can work.

I will do - I will update in here as we get along. If the mods don't mind I will post thoughts and things / problems I come across in here in the one thread as I appreciate that there are many who would consider this route.

Italy is the preference, and France a maybe as well. The biggest problem we have is the accommodation v banking catch 22. To rent a property, you need to have a bank account in France, and I am yet to work out if this is the same in Italy as well. To open the bank account, you need to have a fixed address in that country with proof of address. Now EU laws state that every european has a right to a basic bank account in any country they plan to move to, so the French banks completely ignoring this is strictly speaking against the law. However, until recently, most banks were government linked in come way or other, and that level of qualification and reporting is still very strong there. If you still have a registered residence in Europe and a bank there you can use that to open a non resident bank account, but I do not. The other option which would have worked in Thailand a few years ago would be to open an HSBC bank account in Thailand and then they will open one for you in France. However, the International Banking center in Thailand closed (I think) when they sold off their retail branch here.

What we have done so far is open a channel islands account so at least we have an account in the region. They are no help with getting a bank account in France though.

One of the benefits of France over Italy for people with dogs is that Air France lets you take your dogs under 75kilo including crate as checked in baggage, and the total fee per dog is 200 euro. Compared to moving to the UK, this is a massive saving for us this would have been 1000 euro per dog, plus also having to hire an agent for customs as well. Italy only has direct flights to Rome and Milan on Thai Air. Each time I inquire with them, they say i must use Cargo and I must use their partner agent which I want to avoid at all costs having used them before and ending up having to pay black money at swampy to get my dogs out when I arrived here.

Accommodation in pet friendly holiday houses / gites seems to be the solution and at this time of year, there is low demand. However, they are more expensive and might also fail the "center of life" test if we were to eventually move to the UK. Also to get a bank account from a holiday home is troublesome with no bills in our name. Apparently some banks will accept a letter from the land lord saying you are staying there all inclusive etc, or even staying on their coach looking for somewhere to live.

Of course, if anyone has a house to rent in France or Italy... let me know.

Anyway, this is where we are up to. To give you an idea of time line,

Began planning move to UK in June, started Dogs process in August which in total takes 4 months. First day they can travel is 19th November. My Non Imm B visa ends at the end of November so ideally want to be out by then as I have no desire to fiddle about with another visa. Got bored with UK visa processes, and 2 weeks ago made the decision to switch. In that time we have been on a stiff learning curve. It is not as easy as you might think unless you have piles of cash sat in a bank account, which we do not.