Coinstar Equivalent?

LeftFootRightEar

Go to the bank. Ask them for coin bags.

Fill the bags with the appropriate coins.

Take them to the bank.

Ask for notes.

Watch queue get increasingly angry as bags have to be recounted.

That's not your problem is it?

Go to the bank. Ask them for coin bags.

Fill the bags with the appropriate coins.

Take them to the bank.

Ask for notes.

Watch queue get increasingly angry as bags have to be recounted.

That's not your problem is it?

It is if I'm in the queue smile.png

There's a Government Savings Bank (Omsin) at Big C Hang Dong that has a coin counting machine. (Other GSB branches might have them, but this is the only one I've ever tried). They'll take your change, run it through the machine and give you bills minus a service charge. Sounds simple but it's a slow machine and a slow process. That's because they presort the coins by denomination and reject any that are too old. Also, they don't convert satang (the little 1/4 and 1/2 baht coins), so don't even bother bringing those in. And of course, you can't get gift certificates to Amazon like you can with Coinstar - not that they'd be of much use here anyway! :P

• 4 weeks later...

There's a Government Savings Bank (Omsin) at Big C Hang Dong that has a coin counting machine. (Other GSB branches might have them, but this is the only one I've ever tried). They'll take your change, run it through the machine and give you bills minus a service charge. Sounds simple but it's a slow machine and a slow process. That's because they presort the coins by denomination and reject any that are too old. Also, they don't convert satang (the little 1/4 and 1/2 baht coins), so don't even bother bringing those in. And of course, you can't get gift certificates to Amazon like you can with Coinstar - not that they'd be of much use here anyway! tongue.png

Thanks, I ended up finding the place (it's the pink one) and they only charged 10 baht :) Also, they must have changed something because they did take the satang coins. Thanks for the help!

I used to take them all to 7/11 at 4am to pay my electric bill every month. This was convenient for all involved for multiple reasons.

Now I give them all to the daughter and she puts them in a piggy bank that Omsin gave her. My wife takes her to put it all in her savings account every month. Nobody can moan at a little girl doing her important banking.

On other occasions, I have put them in the local self service petrol dispensers. Full tank of fuel on a week's coppers.