Internet in Thailand

svaldezi

Hello I live in Bangkok and I have a apartment that has very questionable internet. Of course the landlords dont care and wont restart my internet. Is there any way I can get internet on my own. Maybe something with my own router? Any help greatly appericated

Technically there are tons of options from the different providers (3BB, ToT, True, CAT etc. pp.).

ASDL connections start at 10 MBit/s. Fibre is available to about any rate (100, 200 and more).

All a question of price/speed.

BUT:

the problem might again be the landlord which might not tolerate that a line is installed.

So likely there is no way around asking him/her whether you can have your own line installed (at your cost).

Do you have neighbors in the house you can ask about their internet.

Mobile internet is still quite expensive and never a real flat rate.

Thread would better be placed in the internet/telecom subforum.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I'm not sure I live in an apartment with nothing but thai's.

What you could do:

take a sheet with the name and address of your condo, phone number of your landlord(office) and go to a 3BB service center.

Hopefully someone will be able to communicate with you.

Tell them that you would like to have an ADSL line to your condo (something like a 12 MBit/s or so).

They shall clarify with your landlord whether it is feasible or not.

DTAC: as mentioned you can always fall back to a mobile internet package.

I could not, because I use about 20 GB per day for IPTV etc.

Would make me poor to try this on mobile internet.

Depends on your use.

Edited by KhunBENQ

OP: Is your current crappy internet service via WiFi, or do you have a "phone jack" in the wall where a modem/router is plugged in?

If you only have WiFi internet access, but no phone jacks in the apartment, you don't have many options. If there is a phone jack, then then KhunBENQ's suggestion to go to a 3BB (or TrueMove or TOT) office with your condo name and address is your best bet.

OP: Is your current crappy internet service via WiFi, or do you have a "phone jack" in the wall where a modem/router is plugged in?

If you only have WiFi internet access, but no phone jacks in the apartment, you don't have many options. If there is a phone jack, then then KhunBENQ's suggestion to go to a 3BB (or TrueMove or TOT) office with your condo name and address is your best bet.

Their is a phone jack and old school style land line phone. However I'm using the apartments wifi for my connection. Are you saying I could go to a true move place and try to use that for better internet?

You could always use DTAC (or similar mobile provided) and use your phone as a WiFi hotspot....I pay 399 Baht a month for DTAC......nothing special but does the job.

Is it over 3 MBPS?

Did a speed test on Ooka....Results:

DTAC 4G

Ping... 50ms

Download ......1.35

Upload.......... .31

Vs.

TOT Ping....... 12ms

Download .....14.89

Upload......... .89

Although the test would indicate that TOT is faster ....I really don't notice it for just browsing the internet....

Thank you for for the kind suggestions. I need a really good internet connection. I'm doing this for online work and my speed has to be 3 mbps. So I dont know or think a 3 G would probably work to well. I talk to my landlord and she said the only one I could do at this apartment was 3bb service because something about how old this building is. So I guess those are my options unless someone knows more or better than I do.

A private ADSL connection from 3BB will very likely satisfy your needs.

More likely thant mobile (3G) connection.

Thanks, but now my crappy Land Lord wants to charge me 4,000 baht fee if I install my own internet. Which I know is a bunch of horse-sh%&. BTW does any one know were a 3BB store is in bangkok?

Their is a phone jack and old school style land line phone. However I'm using the apartments wifi for my connection. Are you saying I could go to a true move place and try to use that for better internet?

Yes, True might be an option for ADSL internet service. Their service is not available everyplace, though. If you have a working phone line running into your condo, you can check with 3BB, TOT, and True about whether they can provide ADSL service to your condo unit.

True's home ADSL internet service is via "TrueOnline." I think "TrueMove" is only the mobile phone branch?