Un-themed Street photographs

I have always shied away from themes because that meant to me that I was forcing the image into something it wasn't, forcing me to look for shots with a certain 'meaning' or tucking a shot into a specific category because of some minor elements.

I do think shots should convey something, whether it can be translated adequtely into language isn't necessarily true.

This shot is a favorite of mine because it indicates, to me at least, something typically Thai about the beauty and homogeneity of Thai children. Each of them has a different pose and the viewer can intuit what they may be thinking. It was important to me to catch the entire child, top to toes, at a time when almost all the faces were visible.

p102651803-5.jpg

• 1 month later...

^ thanks for the comment - appreciated.

That vignette issue is actually an old blue and heavily discoloured fishing net strung across. I saw in PP and considered dodging it out but the effect looked even more artificial. Maybe I'll give it another look and see what comes about.

Kind of you to comment.

^ thanks for the comment - appreciated.

That vignette issue is actually an old blue and heavily discoloured fishing net strung across. I saw in PP and considered dodging it out but the effect looked even more artificial. Maybe I'll give it another look and see what comes about.

Kind of you to comment.

Just another interesting example of how reality can look unreal.

IMO, comment/critique is really important to allow the photographer to see through another's eyes.

I am happy you responded so graciously and didn't take offense.

Lew

Archived