UK FLR 10.12

This question asks what ties the applicant has with:

Country of birth

Any other country that the applicant has nationality of

Any other country that the applicant has lined in for more than 5 years

List family, friends or other connections.

It then gives you 4 boxes in 2 columns to provide answers.

Column 1 is the country and column 2 says Social cultural or family ties.

Like so many questions on the FLR form it is difficult to see the relevance but what are they expecting here exactly.

A name and address? Family, friends and other connections. I would need 4 pages to list all the wife's friends and probably 1 page for the extended family?

You are probably right but I just feel with so many vague, ambiguous questions that UKVI are looking for an excuse to reject an application.

You can imagine some eagle eyed person saying really, you have no friends what so ever in Thailand or other relatives.

It struck me that the purpose of the question was to obtain evidence with which to defeat a human rights appeal against deportation. Of course, the nationality question might also be to assist in depriving the applicant of British nationality should they ever wish to do so.

• Like 1

It struck me that the purpose of the question was to obtain evidence with which to defeat a human rights appeal against deportation.

Indeed.

The questions on the form have to cover all eventualities and circumstances, some of which wont always seem particularly relevant to an individual applicant.

Of course, the nationality question might also be to assist in depriving the applicant of British nationality should they ever wish to do so.

Surely "should they ever have legal cause to do so" is more accurate?

A naturalisation application cannot be denied on a whim; and once granted it cannot be removed without legal cause.

It struck me that the purpose of the question was to obtain evidence with which to defeat a human rights appeal against deportation. Of course, the nationality question might also be to assist in depriving the applicant of British nationality should they ever wish to do so.

What possible reason would there be to deny an appeal based on abuse of human rights if the applicant had friends or relatives in their country of birth.

What possible reason would there be to deny an appeal based on abuse of human rights if the applicant had friends or relatives in their country of birth.

My personal opinion is to get your head down and answer each question honestly and move on. This is serious business and you risk tripping up if aggrieving yourself at each and every question that doesn't quite suit your sensibilities.

It's a very straightforward process if you / your wife meet the requirements and have evidenced as much.

You'll both be cruising with a successful application but will be back here complaining if unsuccessful.

Don't be a victim.

Edit: What's with the quotes again? This was a problem two years ago and now back to square one. Jeez.

Edited by wooloomooloo
  • Like 2

My personal opinion is to get your head down and answer each question honestly and move on. This is serious business and you risk tripping up if aggrieving yourself at each and every question that doesn't quite suit your sensibilities

I don't disagree with that. It is just having asked a stupid question they give you 4 small boxes to give the stupid reply.

4 boxes doesn't satisfy the immediate family, let alone the extended family, then the ex work friends, the ex school friends, other friends not connected with work or school, then the friends in this country etc etc etc.

4 boxes doesn't satisfy the immediate family, let alone the extended family, then the ex work friends, the ex school friends, other friends not connected with work or school, then the friends in this country etc etc etc.

If I recall correctly we put mom and pop and left it at that. Get on with the rest of the application. Focus.

It struck me that the purpose of the question was to obtain evidence with which to defeat a human rights appeal against deportation.

A lack of overseas connection can be used to appeal against deportation as a 'foreign criminal'.

If I recall correctly we put mom and pop and left it at that.

I should have made clear that the question was for ILR (didn't have FLR in the good old days way back in 2012, unless required, ha ha).

So well worth keeping a photocopy of the FLR application as your going to revisit much the same questions for ILR and just a case of copying across the same information down the line. I hope this helps.

If I recall correctly we put mom and pop and left it at that. Get on with the rest of the application. Focus.

Wooly - why is it that you so many times adopt an attitude that talks down to people? The OP is making legitimate points about some pretty stupid questions in an important form.

You also say in a previous post "It's a very straightforward process if you / your wife meet the requirements and have evidenced as much." No, not really. It's a 70-odd pages form and there are things in it that are not clear. For example, there has been a lot of confusion about what English tests are acceptable.

Btw, this morning my wife just got her FLR using her original BULATS A1 cert she got for the original SV.

Btw, this morning my wife just got her FLR using her original BULATS A1 cert she got for the original SV.

I bow to your superior knowledge, durhamboy. I'll be more careful in future.

I'll also set aside that you answered yes as to whether you and your wife had been through the entire process of settlement through to citizenship just three days ago. It would appear that you've overlooked the fact that your wife has only just obtained FLR. You were quite emphatic that your wife had achieved citizenship. I'm sure you didn't fib and it was genuine mistake on your part and a mere misunderstanding. Easily done.

I get the feeling you haven't experienced a settlement visa through to citizenship for a spouse and are therefore limited in knowledge on the subject, durhamboy.

Your "feeling" is wrong. I have done the whole thing although quite what that has to do with this topic is not clear to me.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies if I've upset your sensibilities once again and further note that this is quite embarrassing for me to be caught out so publicly.

Edited by wooloomooloo