Non Imm O Vientiane experience Oct 2015

Went in on Sunday as I was out of time. Got there Monday morning after the gates opened (appx 8 am). There were loads of people sitting in line to do the paperwork. Saw a sign posted that got me curious so me and the wife went to look around in the building to the left where they do copies.

As it turns out, sit right down with your passport and paperwork and for 40 Baht they will sort you out and give you the special stamp that everyone is waiting to get to submit their paperwork at one of the windows.

You can be in and out in 30 minutes flat. No need to get your own number as that is included in the service.

5 baht copies if you need them and 80 Baht photos.

I applied based on marriage to a Thai. Regardless of what they tell you when they fill out the paperwork, you only get 3 months MAX. Was told this when we submitted paperwork at window 2. Now there may be exceptions for people with the right connections but I don't have them.

Supporting docs:

Application

2 photos

passport

marriage license copy

wife's house book copy

wife's I.D. card copy

The sign posted mentions other documents but they are not necessary. NO bank statements needed.

I did apply for a multi entry visa and was only given single entry visa valid for 90 days. I don't know if that's standard now or not.

I received number 170 and it was because I had to wait on a fax to come in. Otherwise, I would have had a much lower number for the next day.

Showed up the next day about 1:15 pm and the gates were open (all seats taken). Here is the deal. Get there any time after 1:30 pm and before 3:00 pm and as long as they have already passed your number (look on the digital read outs above the counters) just get in the short line and you'll be done in 10-20 minutes max.

Just to give an idea of time frames. They started calling numbers at 1:30 pm (they start at # 1 everyday). At 2:00pm they had called # 80. By 2:30 they were at #140. I had 170 and was called at 2:38. They call 10 to 20 numbers at the same time. They do not wait for you. Who ever shows at the window gets served if their number has been called. Don't worry, they won't throw your passport away if you don't come up right away. Just get there before they close at 3:30 pm.

This will save you loads of time waiting around for nothing. I hope this was useful info.

post-247265-0-02791300-1444750024_thumb.

post-247265-0-83184200-1444750031_thumb.

post-247265-0-49979300-1444750038_thumb.

The only place I know of which will issue a multi-entry visa based on marriage is the Savannakhet Thai Consulate.

Same paperwork requirements as Vientiane and no need to show finances.

I'm pretty sure you can get a multiple entry non-imm O based on marriage from any consulate. Savannakhet is special because they'll give you one without any financial proof.

Edited by Bardeh

The only place I know of which will issue a multi-entry visa based on marriage is the Savannakhet Thai Consulate.

Same paperwork requirements as Vientiane and no need to show finances.

I'm pretty sure you can get a multiple entry non-imm O based on marriage from any consulate. Savannakhet is special because they'll give you one without any financial proof.

Please name them all for the benefit of other members

I forgot that on my way out of Thailand I was stopped and asked to fill out a survey for Tourism Authority of Thailand. Very long and detailed. Apparently they really are worried about how to get tourists to come back in droves. The Chinese must not be pulling their weight. As a bonus I received a free refrigerator magnet to show all my friends.

How is that for logic. Instead of simplifying and standardizing the visa process, let's badger them with questions. If they think that the answers to those questions is what is going to fix their economic problems, they really are in trouble. Just spent a month in Jomtien and while it is still slow season, it was very slow. I know a guy that's been there 18 years and has never seen it like this. On a good note, prices seem a lot more flexible for some things (motorbike rentals, condos, beer). In my experience, Jomtien is much cheaper than Vientiane.

Good to know for the next go round. May just return to the states as it's fairly easy for a 1 year multiple entry in LA.

Do you know if they grant visas for non US nationals in LA?

It depends upon the visa you applying for and the country you are from.

This for a tourist visa. " 1 copies of U.S. green card or U.S. visa which permits applicant to reside legally in the U.S"

See: http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa.aspx

Good to know for the next go round. May just return to the states as it's fairly easy for a 1 year multiple entry in LA.

Sorry I can not help with this one. I only know from my own experience as a U.S. national

Sorry I can not help with this one. I only know from my own experience as a U.S. national

Not sure about LA though I assume it would be the same -- in Washington DC they will give visas for non-Americans, but only if they're in the US on a visa. My husband who didn't need a visa to enter the US from his home country wasn't able to get even a Thai tourist visa there last week (to convert to non-imm O here later), because of this and will do it elsewhere before coming back.

• 3 months later...

when you say multi entry in savanakhet, is that 30 or 90 day multi entry?

In vientinae 90 days MAX = per visit or per year?

i hate doing the laos run, its so long-winded.

A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

Vientiane will only issue a single entry non-o visa that allows one 90 day entry. You could get more than one visa per year.