making pastry for pies.

meatboy

the wife went to the bakery supplies and asked if they had any made pastry sheets NO.

i have been making meat pies,corned beef pasties,cheese and onion,and pork pies.but i have trouble making a decent pastry useing 50/50 butter and dripping.

well the shop gave her a kilo block of what looks like butter telling all the cake/pie shops use it.

i took one look and thought this will be YUK.so yesterday i made some cheese and onion pasties useing a 100grms.of this mix.well the pastry tasted great very light. so has anybody used this.

SAMSON GOLD BRAND fat spreads palm oil formula.

palm stearins,

palm oil,

palm kernel oil,

coconut oil,

water.

manufacter katevanich industry co.ltd.

OH THE PRICE 53BHT.A KILO.

Doubtless packed with icky trans fats from when they hydrogenated the oils to make them solid. Best avoided in my opinion.

I'm impressed you can make decent pastry, though. All my attempts have failed miserably. Either the fat melts, or (if I put everything in the fridge before starting) there's too much water condensing in the mix.

Hey meatboy, I hope you made plenty I might pop around for lunch later.whistling.gif

I did read that you can use Canola oil in place of butter for making pastry. As yet I havnt tried it.

Butter is best but tooooo expensive here. coffee1.gif

No such thing as a cheese and onion pasty my friend.. Cheese and onion crisps, maybe smile.png

cheese,onion and mashed potato and sage made the same way as a cornish pasty or a corned beef pasty.mashed potato,onion and oregano.

GREGGS SELL THEM.

Hey meatboy, I hope you made plenty I might pop around for lunch later.whistling.gif

I did read that you can use Canola oil in place of butter for making pastry. As yet I havnt tried it.

Butter is best but tooooo expensive here. coffee1.gif

toooooooooooooo late jessi i ate the last 2 this morning with hp.brown sauce.licklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.gif

Doubtless packed with icky trans fats from when they hydrogenated the oils to make them solid. Best avoided in my opinion.

I'm impressed you can make decent pastry, though. All my attempts have failed miserably. Either the fat melts, or (if I put everything in the fridge before starting) there's too much water condensing in the mix.

i did check before useing,but what the hell,i had a double by-pass 2007 so i should be ok.for another 15-20yrs.washed down with JOHN KEPPLERS.

i can make decent hot water crust pastry but the taste is not that good,but my short crust has been crap till i used this fat,mixed with flour first in a food processor then added enough water

pulse it a few times till it came together made a ball,then 1hr.in the fridge.floured board and rolling pin.

next i will try it for meat pies.

Palm Stearine is the solid fraction from Fractionation of normal palm oil. It is not hydrogenated. Do some research before you criticize next time!

Palm Stearine is the solid fraction from Fractionation of normal palm oil. It is not hydrogenated. Do some research before you criticize next time!

What's to say that the palm oil, palm kernel oil and/or coconut oil aren't hydrogenated? None is a solid at room temperature and hydrogenation is common practice in making margarine.

I cheat and buy sheets of frozen shortcrust, imported from Australia I believe.

Where do you buy that from? I've only ever seen frozen puff pastry.

I buy it from Friendship in Pattaya, same manufacturer as the normal puff and all butter puff pastry.

• 4 weeks later...

i did check before useing,but what the hell,i had a double by-pass 2007 so i should be ok.for another 15-20yrs.washed down with JOHN KEPPLERS.

i can make decent hot water crust pastry but the taste is not that good,but my short crust has been crap till i used this fat,mixed with flour first in a food processor then added enough water

pulse it a few times till it came together made a ball,then 1hr.in the fridge.floured board and rolling pin.

@ meatboy, Have you made any pies with this yet? Results please.coffee1.gif

@ meatboy, Have you made any pies with this yet? Results please.coffee1.gif

come and try one.

I bought some yesterday,

SAMSON GOLD BRAND fat spreads palm oil formula.

They have 2 different ones, One for pastry and one for cakes etc, so I got one of each.

I will pop around later M B to try your pie and I got a treat for Sam.

Cheers

No such thing as a cheese and onion pasty my friend.. Cheese and onion crisps, maybe smile.png

Oh! but their is, Morrison's in the UK has been doing them for a long time,and believe it or not steak and Stilton Pasties are also baked on their premises!

Oh! but their is, Morrison's in the UK has been doing them for a long time,and believe it or not steak and Stilton Pasties are also baked on their premises!

i used to sit in the car park at morrison's risca,hot pork pie,any pasty,pork rib,galic chicken drumsticks

and a bottle of thatchers katy apple cider.

OH MEMORIES.

And Morrison's used to (it's a long time since I shopped there) sell some very good wines very cheaply but alas there's no Morrison's in Thailand so no tasty cheese and onion pasties and no cheap (good) wine. Morrison's also had a terrific cheese counter, never walked away with less than a kilo of assorted cheeses..

You heathen.... I'm reporting this post to Cornish immigration, you will be denied entry forever more :)

You heathen.... I'm reporting this post to Cornish immigration, you will be denied entry forever more smile.png

If I tell immigration i've come to clear out those crap Gingsters Pasties,they will welcome me with open arms!

You heathen.... I'm reporting this post to Cornish immigration, you will be denied entry forever more smile.png

If I tell immigration i've come to clear out those crap Gingsters Pasties,they will welcome me with open arms!

You certainly would be, in fact 99% of Cornwall would probably support your effort... Shocking bleddy things they are :)