Renew "Retirement" Visa Out Of Country?

• If you have an extension of stay based on retirement the answers no. You can only renew that in Thailand up to 30 days before the expiry date. 45 days at some offices.

If you have a non immigrant visa you can get a new visa from embassies/consulates outside the country if you qualify. Criteria can vary dependant on where you apply.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

You can't "renew" a visa anywhere. You could get a new visa at a Thai embassy or consulate, all of which are located outside Thailand, assuming you qualify.

If you mean you have an extension of stay based on retirement (not a visa ... your original Non-Imm O has expired if you're on an extension), it can only be renewed at your local immigration office inside Thailand. If you do have an extension of stay and if you are out of the country, then you would have a re-entry permit if you intended to return. If you do have a re-entry permit, it would expire on the same date as the extension of stay expires.

To return to Thailand after the expiration of the extension and the re-entry permit, you'll need a new non-imm O visa and then you'll need to start the extension of stay process from scratch in the last 30 days of that visa entry.

If you're still in Thailand and have an extension of stay based on retirement, it could be renewed 30 days before expiration, 45 days at some offices. In that case, remember you no longer have a visa and would need a re-entry permit if you want to travel and return.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

From my previous experience the advice given here is perfectly correct, apart from the 30 days prior to expiration for renewal.

Here in Samui my local office would not allow me to renew my extension any more than one week before expiration, it may be worth checking on that if you are leaving Thailand shortly before expiration.