What are the best things to see and do in thailand?

sammym

Thailand has some great national parks.

Doi Inthanon is near Chiang Mai and well worth a visit, it has Thailands highest peak

https://www.thainationalparks.com/doi-inthanon-national-park

Kaeng Krachan is reachable from Bangkok in about 4 hours (about an from Hua Hin) and has Pala U Waterfalls in one part of it.

https://www.thainationalparks.com/kaeng-krachan-national-park

Nearby is WFFT, a true not for profit sanctuary / rescue centre for elephants and other animals.

http://www.wfft.org/education/education-centre/

Ancient Siam, in Samut Prakan is a very nice visit. Truly beautiful, and also have the dta laat nam, where way back when, everybody did their shopping. Plenty of photo opportunities. You can either rent a bicycle or walk the park. If you like architecture and history this is one place you will want to visit.

Hello,

1 I hope it doesn't rain much when you come over here because this is supposed to

be in the middle of the rainy season here in Thailand now. It doesn't rain so much

here now, though.

2 Are you flying to Vietnam on a tourist visa? The UK passport holders can get a visa-

exempt entry to stay in the country for up to 15 days but you'll then be requested to

show the IO an onward ticket upon arrival. I don't think you will if you go there on a

visa.

Thanks guys. We fly in on the 21st at 23.40. I've already got a couple of nights accommodation booked in Bangkok. We both came for three weeks in June (Just the Samui, Koh Toa and Bangkok - with two days in Krabi). So we have done some of the really touristy stuff. I've seen the palace and the budda's. If I'm honest I've got little interest in spending days in Temples again. i'll do that for a few days in Cambodia in Angkor Wat.

But I'm getting some really useful information here. Both on this thread and via PM. I'm fortunate that I'll still be getting a decent UK salary when I'm on this trip. So upping the budget isn't a problem. I negotiated that I'd work up until yesterday and take the next three months as gardening leave. That's why I'm doing some of my planning last minute. But I did like the idea of doing it on a budget, however won't be upset if I go over this to have a great time.

After that I'm looking to get a sleeper train up to chang mai. I've never been on a sleeper train so it should be an experience. The flights I've booked to come back to Bangkok are actually about the same price as the sleeper train oddly. And it saves me hassle - as I'm flying back into the same airport as I fly out to Vietnam from a few hours later. So just some time for food and a drink. It should work well for me - touch wood.

I've got just under three weeks in the north. So far I've booked some ziplining. As it was quite cheap and it seemed like fun. And we would quite like to see elephants being treated well. Last time we came we saw the other side of it when we stopped in Krabi. And my partner wanted to see the other side of it. We do want to see Pai, but I won't ride bikes anymore after losing a good friend whilst riding in the UK. After seeing his head come off I sold my bike and gave it a biup. I'd rather pay extra for a taxi, or rent a car. Obviously I'm looking like mad for things to do in the North apart from this. The advice given is really really helping me out. After a lot of work I'm hoping in the North I can do some trekking and just chill out a bit.

In Bangkok we do have a few things we'd like to do. Big shopping malls are not my idea of fun. And I work in a big city as present. So have no interest in spending too long there. My favourite thing about if from last time was being able to get a metered taxi for nearly nothing compared to the tuktuks. I even got into a tuktuk after being told "the palace is closed" last time - I managed to realise that I wasn't being taken on a wonderful tour, but was lucky to not get into trouble when I got aggressive about it. Lesson learnt.

I'm really looking for the last month of the trip which should be our holiday part really. I love scuba diving and found Koh Toa beautiful. I know about the problems there - and I know about the murders. But I currently live in London. A police officer was shot here in the last couple of days. I wouldn't walk through tottenham at night either - I felt safe there last time. I'm looking forward to spending christmas day on a beach. Apart from that I'll be happy to lounge out and read a book and just chill.

As I've already tried to say. I'm lucky enough to have a very lovely partner who I'm taking. So I should be able to save my money and not have to pay for evening entertainment. Although if things go disastrously I'll take those comments on board as well. But again - thanks for everyone who has taken the time to answer. Really really appreciate it.

Can reply to a few things mentioned.
Even you say you have seen enough temples – which I understand – I will say that have you missed the Grand Palace & the Temple of the Emerald Buddha in Bangkok, then that is a must. Almost opposite is the Wat Po temple, from where the Thai massage originates; inside the temple resides the reclining Buddha, and he is another must.
Taking the sleeper up to Chiang Mai you should consider 1st Class, where you have a private compartment, like the European sleeper trains; 2nd class is just a wagon with bunk beds in two very long rows. You shall book so-called express night trains early, as they are often sold out – if you cannot book on Internet, then first thing to do in Bangkok.
I’ve been doing the sleeper both to Chiang Mai and down south, the latter is also a possibility from Bangkok to for example Surat Thani, from where you have access to the Southern tourist destinations. Booth rides, Chiang Mai and Surat Thani, lasts about 11-12 hours.
North of Chiang Mai is the famous temple on top of the cliff, with a long stair walking up there – or alternatively today, an escalator. There was a nice elephant camp in the jungle a few hours car ride up North, when I was there – perhaps some of the locals from CM know more about that and can say if it's still exists. There are also silk farms (kind of showcase, but worth visiting), and word carving workshops.
Your say, you are arriving next Tuesday and staying for 3 weeks. You seem to be missing 2 major Thai events in November. I will just mention them for information: the Surin Elephant roundup 2015, with more than 300 elephants, which is 21st and 22nd November, same show each day. Normally on Friday, i.e. 20th November, is the elephant breakfast in the morning. Loy Krathong on 25th November, first Full Moon of November, where small banana palm bots with flowers and candles, they are called “krathong”, are let into a river, “loy”, in honor of the River-Goddess, or into any water that can also be lake or sea, and in honor of Buddha. That is a huge fest in Chiang Mai – often the sky is full hot “hot air balloons”, also in Europe referred to as “Chinese Lanterns” – and accommodation is advised to be pre booked.
Seems like you have already visited Koh Samui – I live there, and if you are thinking of coming back, please feel free to ask if you have any questions.
And by the way, Koh Tao is more safe than it’s reputation, but November and December are monsoon-season, so do expect that scuba diving may be impossible, the sea can be very rough...
I wish you a good vacation in Southeast Asia...
smile.png

Bangkok. Dusit Zoo. Very pretty, big lake/lagoon. Paddle boats. Cool to sit on bench and have a chat with 3 foot long green monitor lizards that are all over the place. National Museum. Wat Po for the reclining Buddha and a very nice large open room carpeted to sit and meditate while looking at other Buddha statues. Grand Palace is OK. As many Wat Thais as you want if at all. BTS skytrain. To me it is great and like a Disney ride all over the city. Look out the window and for a few hours and a very cheap ride it is nice. NANA plaza. I don't laud it, but it is worth a look see. In all my trips I only went down Soi Cowboy during the day but you can read up on that or Patpong area

Pattaya: Top of the hill, big Buddha just below that is a Chinese monument place to walk around. Very nice and quiet. Many small temples, display areas including a confucious temple/statue are there. Pattaya has a great assortment and prices for foot massages and oil massages all over the place. Very good food at the Domocile Austrian restaurant. Yes nightlife and discos all over. Mini-Saim was actually pretty good. barbecue place in Big C on Second road really is good. fantastic dipping sauce. 69 baht banana split at DQ in the Big C malls is hard to beat! Several movie theaters in Thai and English to beat the heat some days. Decent priced hotels with swimming pools. Pattaya can be quite a relaxing place. I like the Baht busses, the Toyota pick ups that go every where. You flag one down and off you go. 10 baht. Can't beat the convenience. easy bus transport to and from BKK airport. Decent food from all around the world there.

Ko Samet. Pretty place. We went to quiet Malibu complex on South East side of the island. Not sure what beach it was. We were there during the 2004 tsunami! Nightly the 6 or 7 local hotels put out a barbecue right on the beach. Kickass fresh and cheap. Clean water for swimming. Take the snorkel tour around the island. Not a big boat, had 8 of us. Stopped at 2 or 3 "dive" sites. Stopped for lunch at some dockside restaurant.

Phuket. Karon beach. Great food all over the place. Love the massaman curry. Very nice water for swimming. Turn around and look up and seeing the giant white Buddha statue is surreal and pleasant. Can walk over to Kata beach from Karon beach. A nice little cluster of 3 or 4 open air restaurants on the hill. Very good food. I guess go up the island to Patong for a few days. Junk Ceylon mall, movie theater to take a break from the heat.

Take Ferry from Phuket to Ao Nang. Beautiful ride. You motor past several islands, rock outcroppings etc.

Ao Nang. Very pretty little place. Contrast of water, jungle and giant limestone cliff face view right outside the hotel window. A little night life complex and some outdoor beer bars. Good for a few days. Some of the little restaurants along the "hill" were staffed by locals and were very friendly and nice to sit and chat with. Best and largest mango shakes I ever had!

I think the majority of foreigners 99.999% would say booze , bar girls and over priced crap foreign food. Most travel half way around the world and eat the very same food they left behind. If they are really brave they might try Pad Thai or Fried Rice and again only eating where other foreigners eat with an English menu paying 120 baht or more. Really weird if you ask me. In the sixteen years traveling here i have seen less than a dozen eating in a REAL Thai restaurant. ZERO IMAGINATION ! BORING !!!!!!!