No Safety Net for Unregulated Ziplines

Jonathan Fairfield

No Safety Net for Unregulated Ziplines

By Teeranai Charuvastra

Staff Reporter

14449904091444990784l.jpg

BANGKOK — Despite their proliferation in recent years, there is little oversight and no regulation of zipline attractions in Chiang Mai province, officials admit, and nearly all of such operations are suspected of encroaching on public land.

After a second tourist in three months died Sunday on one of the increasingly popular attractions, Khaosod English found local authorities there lack clear measures regulating the zipline industry, and not one operator contacted could confirm possessing relevant licenses.

Among officials who admit to these flaws is Chiang Mai Gov. Pawin Chamniprasart, who announced Wednesday he had called a meeting of zipline operators and related authorities to come up with safety standards for the business.

There are currently no specific safety requirements for zipline operations, Pawin said.

“Right now, we don’t have a central standard in terms of structural engineering,” he said in regards to their construction. “Therefore, operators must rely on basic engineering standards for the time being.”

The statement was echoed by Montri Piyakul, head of Chiang Mai’s tourism and sports department. “There is no central standard for ziplines,” he told reporters Wednesday.

Zipline and other jungle-themed adventure activities have grown in popularity, especially among foreign tourists, in recent years. There are now at least 14 zipline stations in Chiang Mai, according to local officials.

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-10-17

I have already spoken about this in my opinion all tourist attractions where there is an element of risk should be licensed and checked on a regular basis .

All the money TAT are usually telling us about 100s of Billions of Baht and they cannot use any of that money to make tourist attraction sfe ?.And I mean in all ways, Roads , Pavements that you can walk on withour breaking your ankle. In my opinion a safety life line when "Playing" at height is basic day 1 safety and Risk class lesson, Its a law for workers all over the world

In a civilised world run by humans, the illegal operators would be shut down until they passed all and every safety requirement set by the appropriate government department as per legislation. Here, as every where else in Thailand we have a species who are 98% DNA compatible with an intellect far below par. The Junta are doing well with their anti-corruption pledge, but we must be thankful for small mercies, I can still buy an 80 baht lottery ticket even though gambling is illegal.

From the report ......

13 out of the 14 zipline operators in Chiang Mai are illegally using government land and protected forest?

Hmmmmmmm

Meaning that the first was set up at least several years ago, the authorities knowing full well there are no regulations for this activity and there should be, there are obvious safety concerns, and knowing that there are questions marks about who owns the land etc., and they have done nothing.

In other words the relevant officials should be charged with dereliction of duty.

From the report ......

13 out of the 14 zipline operators in Chiang Mai are illegally using government land and protected forest?

Hmmmmmmm

Meaning that the first was set up at least several years ago, the authorities knowing full well there are no regulations for this activity and there should be, there are obvious safety concerns, and knowing that there are questions marks about who owns the land etc., and they have done nothing.

In other words the relevant officials should be charged with dereliction of duty.

Or more likely taking a cut to shut up.

Why doesn't the report name the "popular outfit in Mae Kam Phong, an area in Chiang Mais Huai Kaew district", whereas skyline & Flying Squirrels get named? Only one operation up at Mae Kamphong, I believe whistling.gif[/size] [/size]

They paid them not to?

I've seen posts about that same company disappear from ThaiVisa too.

Not to mention, every time an accident happens, at least two (low post count) posters state that the same company never has any problems and does name it!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Safety in Thailand is a joke there is none. Just walk past any building site and yes they have the sign "safety is out priority" but that is it. If any site I have worked on was even close to the setup's in Thailand I would have them closed down.

Talking needs to stop and action needs to start. Does Thailand have the equivalent of the UK's HSE? If it does it is doing a lousy job.

I assume, probably wrong, that zip line facilities require a license. If so why is a safety net not a compulsory part of the requirements for a safety net? IF there is an HSE organisation then they should inspect the facility before a license is issued and make regular checks to ensure standards are being upheld. No they shouldnt advise the operators before that they will be visiting, just turn up and check.

Thailand needs to start taking safety seriously but I doubt if it will