Warning Over Export Of Antiques

george

Warning over export of antiques

PHUKET CITY: Officers from the Customs Office at Phuket International Airport and from the Thalang National Museum have issued a reminder that people wanting to take antiques or Buddha images out of Thailand must first obtain a permit to do so.

Nittaya Pinchaisiri, an officer at Thalang National Museum, said, “People who want to take antiques or Buddha images bought in Thailand back to their home countries need to have permission from the government first. But most people don’t know that it takes time to issue a permit to take such items out of the country.”

She explained that a committee of officials from the Phuket Fine Arts Office and the Thalang National Museum, which examines applications to export items of cultural value, must approve each application before passing it on to the Governor of Phuket for approval.

“Currently, it should not take longer than four days to issue a permit, but we will soon accelerate the process so that it takes only two days,” she said.

Mana Pisibut, Chief of the Customs office at Phuket International Airport, said, “We will urge antique shops to inform their customers about this regulation.”

He warned that people found taking cultural artifacts out of the country without a permit could have the items seized and might even be detained by Customs officials

For more information about permits to export cultural items contact the Thalang National Museum, at Moo 3, Tambon Srisoonthorn, Thalang. Tel: 076-311426. Open 8:30 am to 4 pm, government work days only.

--Phuket Gazette 2004-04-07

i believe that thais are exempt from this regulation,they can take them out as items necessary for them to be able to practice their religion,i.e. carvings and castings that are likely to be used on home shrines. those who are leaving the country with a thai partner should be able to take a reasonable number of "normal" buddha images with them, providing of course that they are not rare and valuable antiques destined for the auction houses of europe and america.

Yeah, correct, but most of the tourist are buying some replica, not real antiques.

Actually over in Siem Reap they introduced a good system. You buy in one of the Angkor Wat shops whatever you like and get an official 'licence' with it to show to customs.

Not that anybody would care to check you when departing. :o

Yeah, correct, but most of the tourist are buying some replica, not real antiques.

Actually over in Siem Reap they introduced a good system. You buy in one of the Angkor Wat shops whatever you like and get an official 'licence' with it to show to customs.

Not that anybody would care to check you when departing. :o

If the luggage xray shows a Buddha image you'll be queried by Customs Axel.

Is it OK to buy something out of a craft-type shop that is modern and has no historical value?

I've been scared to buy anything "crafty" with a Buddha image on it.

But I am kinda paranoid. I declared my cell phone and digital camera at Thai customs. She was nice and didn't laugh in my face. Basically the only follow-up question was "only one, for yourself"?

Why don't they update those stupid customs forms?

kenk3z