Thailand's roads second deadliest in the world: World Health Organization

webfact

Safety regulation plays a big role but most people in Thailand just don't KNOW how to drive or what the traffic rules are.

In Isaan people just buy their drivers license, no need to do examination, and if there is some kind of test all they have to do is to pass a very simple theory exam and drive a few rounds on the parcours.

THERE, fix that first and road accidents will decrease by half.

Safety belts LMAO, what about this?

- Mom and dad on a bike with 3 young kids

- Somchai with his huge truck and extended family of 10 loaded in the back like cattle.

- Young girls (or Thai women in general) who can't even park a car but are allowed to use the highway

- Minivans driving like they're soliciting for a role in fast and the furious

- Overworked bus drivers

and on and on

Thai men cant park either and dont ask them to reverse into an area they cant do it. No basic driving skills and in fairness it isnt their fault. They take the test as it is, and we all know it isnt worth anything, and believe they can drive as they passed the test.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lemme see here....if a country have only one car in the entire country and that car crashes and kills all the people inside together with some other people, the statistics would be terrible right? So those countries with very few cars should not be taken into account, that would make Thailand number one and once again the HUB of everything!

Fatality rates are normally calculated as a percentage of the population e.g. 12 per 100,000

I stopped driving at night as too many crazy drivers. I also never ride in those vans that speed down the highway passing everyone and tailgating. Motor bike taxis are also on my list of things to try to avoid. I will take a bus sometimes but even try to avoid.

I basically now drive in daytime only, take BTS and MRT, and if required take a meter taxi.

That figure is underrated. Thai only count the dead AT THE SCENE. If you die later in the hospital, you don't don't get counted. Fact, not fiction.

Interesting. Who at the "scene" is qualified to pronouns a person is actually dead,?

Could you please supply a reference for this "fact not fiction" you quoted. Thanks

Apparently you missed the last two lines of the article.

"What is more, Thailand’s actual road fatality rate may be even worse than reported, thanks to skewed reporting by the nation’s Public Health Ministry whose figures only include fatalities at the scene of accidents. Traffic-related deaths which occur later in hospital are not included in official figures"

Not only that, but I've got a cop in the family (Senior Sergeant Major) who has also told me this. This is not news to anyone who has lived in Thailand for more than a couple of months.

That figure is underrated. Thai only count the dead AT THE SCENE. If you die later in the hospital, you don't don't get counted. Fact, not fiction.

Interesting. Who at the "scene" is qualified to pronouns a person is actually dead,?

Could you please supply a reference for this "fact not fiction" you quoted. Thanks

Apparently you missed the last two lines of the article.

"What is more, Thailand’s actual road fatality rate may be even worse than reported, thanks to skewed reporting by the nation’s Public Health Ministry whose figures only include fatalities at the scene of accidents. Traffic-related deaths which occur later in hospital are not included in official figures"

Not only that, but I've got a cop in the family (Senior Sergeant Major) who has also told me this. This is not news to anyone who has lived in Thailand for more than a couple of months.

Thanks for clearing that up.....wink.png

Thailand’s roads remain among the most dangerous in the world according to a World Health Organization report, which found that the Southeast Asian nation is second only to war-torn Libya in terms of per capita road fatalities.

The UN health agency’s ‘Global status report on road safety 2015‘ study, found that 14,059 people died on Thailand’s roads in 2012 – a rate of 36 people per 100,000 and an average of almost 39 fatalities per day. This places Thailand in the company of Iran (32.1 per 100,000), Togo (31.1) and nine African nations that fell between 30 to 35 deaths per 100,000 people.

However, compared to its ASEAN neighbors, Thailand’s road fatality rate remains woefully high. In Malaysia, the estimated fatality rate per 100,000 was 24, compared to 17.4 in Cambodia, 15.3 in Indonesia and just 3.6 in Singapore.

What is more, Thailand’s actual road fatality rate may be even worse than reported, thanks to skewed reporting by the nation’s Public Health Ministry whose figures only include fatalities at the scene of accidents. Traffic-related deaths which occur later in hospital are not included in official figures.

Actually "fiction," more like it. The road accident follows the injured to the hospitals and through the registrations of "cause of death," reports and into the court system and National registry. Nice try there, however you almost got away with that Porkey!

Yet another one who didn't read the last two lines of the WHO report. Along with the fact that the cops in my family have also told me this. So you take take your "Porky" comment, Newby, and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. IF you can get your head out of the way first.

Interesting to go to Hanoi Vn. Everyone seems to make up their own rules, crazy, but no accidents.

Drivers drive defensively, whereas in Thailand their is a lot more offensive driving. People don't slowdown,

people take the rights of way, I am more important than you, and then their is the drinking.

I love the "Newbes" who come on here and think they know everything, when in reality, they don't know a damn thing. When I made the comment that they only count the dead at the scene, and not those who die later at the hospital, a couple of them were QUICK to jump on that as a "falacy". Did they not read the last two lines of the WHO report?

Thailand’s actual road fatality rate may be even worse than reported, thanks to skewed reporting by the nation’s Public Health Ministry whose figures only include fatalities at the scene of accidents. Traffic-related deaths which occur later in hospital are not included in official figures.

For those of us who have been here for a while, this is pretty much common knowledge. Of course, a wet-behind-the-ears Newbe wouldn't know this, and would (and have) be quick to jump on this as "fantasy" or "porky". To them I say: "Get educated before running your ignorant fingers over your keyboard and showing how dumb you are.

I love the "Newbes" who come on here and think they know everything, when in reality, they don't know a damn thing. When I made the comment that they only count the dead at the scene, and not those who die later at the hospital, a couple of them were QUICK to jump on that as a "falacy". Did they not read the last two lines of the WHO report?

Thailand’s actual road fatality rate may be even worse than reported, thanks to skewed reporting by the nation’s Public Health Ministry whose figures only include fatalities at the scene of accidents. Traffic-related deaths which occur later in hospital are not included in official figures.

For those of us who have been here for a while, this is pretty much common knowledge. Of course, a wet-behind-the-ears Newbe wouldn't know this, and would (and have) be quick to jump on this as "fantasy" or "porky". To them I say: "Get educated before running your ignorant fingers over your keyboard and showing how dumb you are.

Cheers mate! I think they didn't read the last 2 lines.

But what do the cops in your family think has to be done to stop this? Do they blame anybody for these high numbers?

Cheers mate! I think they didn't read the last 2 lines.

But what do the cops in your family think has to be done to stop this? Do they blame anybody for these high numbers?

I posed the same question one time to a female rtp i was dating, she pulled a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp and stopped speaking to me for the rest of the evening.

Just another chance for expats etc to display their ignorance of road safety and engage in a litany of racist abuse and bigoted misconceptions about Thai drivers and Thai roads.

Thailand has no more or less stupid drivers than any other nation. The problem is how successive governments have allowed the road and traffic systems to develop with little or no science or planning.

...pointing out single items as if they are the sole cause of all Thailand's traffic problems is just banal in the extreme, and endless anecdotes of "bad driving" prove absolutely nothing apart from the ignorance of those posting them.

Edited by cumgranosalum

They are 100% WRONG. The roads are not bad. In fact they are pretty good. It is the Thai drivers that are bad. When they drive they look right in front of their vehicle not down the road about 100 - 200 yards. So they do not see anything coming until it is too late. They do not use their mirrors for anything but putting on make up, coming their hair, and picking their zitts. They can be the most polite people face to face but when they get behind the wheel of a car or truck they are the MOST rude and ignorant drivers in the world. And I have driven in many countries around the world.

SO TRUE wai2.gif

Just another chance for expats etc to display their ignorance of road safety and engage in a litany of racist abuse and bigoted misconceptions about Thai drivers and Thai roads.

Thailand has no more or less stupid drivers than any other nation. The problem is how successive governments have allowed the road and traffic systems to develop with little or no science or planning.

...pointing out single items as if they are the sole cause of all Thailand's traffic problems is just banal in the extreme, and endless anecdotes of "bad driving" prove absolutely nothing apart from the ignorance of those posting them.

You must have never drive in Thailand....

Strict enforcement of traffic laws, and licensing requirements with no special considerations would help.

The inability of many in Thailand to own their mistakes is a contributing factor to traffic fatalities, with a mindset that whatever happens is not my fault, just Karma, promotes repeated occurrences of (w)reckless behavior. That person narrowly escaping a traffic accident is likely to say " it was my lucky day",rather than admit their actions were in any way at fault.

Actually driving safely contributes to reducing accidents much more effectively than amulets and blessings on a vehicle.

Edited by CMguy

More thai bashing by The World Health Organisation... We all know Thailand should have been crowned champions this year.

These results should be investigated, perhaps some vote buying by Namibia?

Thailand has to win this next year... Hope the government will help with Intersection 44.

Sent from my c64

I am absolutely gobsmacked by this . It is totally unbelievable. Can anyone confirm that this is so , and are there any 'real' road fatality figures.? Surely they would at least double.

Secondly I wonder why a seatbelt law requiring everyone in the vehicle to be belted at all times isn't instituted immediately. It will work wonders: in Aus many years ago it caused a massive reduction in the road toll, because it was compulsory and strictly enforced. I'm 70, and would never ride without a belt on....I never need to think about it , but it is an auto response when I get in a car . The same will hold true for all Aussies ....check it out . JUST FLAMING DO IT !!!!! IT IS EASY, QUICK, EFFECTIVE , AND CASH FLOW POSITIVE . AND IT WORKS . I'm not saying it is the total solution, but it is a darn good start.

And they complain about smoking kills, alcohol kills. (or is it because you get to appear holier than thou?) Yet, they seemingly do nothing about road deaths.

Smoking - bad.

Drinking - very bad.

Driving like a moron - mai pen rai.

They are doing something about road deaths. They are called amulets.

Have been visiting LOS for almost 40 years. Drove around Chiang Mai, Lampang & Chiang Rai this month. I commented several times to the missus that the driving attitudes seemed markedly better than ever before. Nowhere near as much passing on blind curves and driving at insane speeds etc. Was I dreaming or has anyone else felt the same?

I agree with you: I see sensible driving every day, everywhere.

Yes, driving licences are bought. No, the traffic police are not educating anyone or enforcing the laws properly. Yes, the majority of vehicles trundle along normally.

Van drivers? They are dangerous: they overtake at speed where the hell they like and flash you in your lane to get out of the way. Move or die?

Bus drivers overtaking on blind bends? Move or die. Move if you can, that is.

kids on motorbikes: who worries about that? No one stops it.

Motor cyclists without helmets: 100% of what?

I see motor cyclists riding in ways that they seem to think is protecting them. But they are actually being indecisive and that confuses other road users. Motor cyclists who stop in most unusual places, waiting for bigger vehicles ... no! Ride properly, mirror, signal, manoeuvre. On the other hand, I see motor cyclists over asserting themselves and I wonder how they survive.

By the way, the last figure I saw for road deaths was 28,000. Probably not WHO figures. In any case, learn the lessons: motor bikes are dangerous from all points of view. Van drivers are dangerous. Bus drivers can be dangerous. The government and police need a KITA.

So far I haven't seen any official response to the report which could mean anything but not to worry as in a couple of months there will be enough hot air about the '7 Dangerous Days of New Year ' to fly a couple of Zeppelins.