Truck driver dies in truck-train collision in Korat

webfact

Truck driver dies in truck-train collision in Korat

ko.jpg

KORAT: -- A truck driver was killed and five others were injured when a passenger train from Ubon Ratchathani rammed at the truck at a railway crossing in Nakhon Ratchasima province Wednesday night.

Pho Klang station police said the incident happened shortly before midnight at the unmanned railway crossing on Soi Mitraparb 22 off Liap Nakorn road in Muang district of Nakhon Ratchasima.

A six-wheel truck driven by Vinas Intadet, 30, from Nonthaburi province was about to cross the railway crossing as the rapid Ubon-Bangkok passenger train was approaching at full speed.

The train crashed into the middle of the truck, causing its locomotive to run out of the tracks.

The collusion killed the truck driver instantly and injured five persons in the truck and the train.

The incident caused four hours delay of all trains to the Northeast destinations from Korat last night.

The badly damaged train was towed back to Korat railway station and train service was restored again this morning.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/truck-driver-dies-in-truck-train-collision-in-korat

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-22

all he had to do was stop and look both ways. I cross a railroad here in Hua Hin with crossing guards and I STILL LOOK both ways, even with the guards up... they malfunction here all the time.

stop ASSuming the way is clear. stop ASSuming you have the right of way. like everywhere in Thailand, all day every day, never looking first. look and then go, not go and then look.

stop texting and get off facebook while you drive.

turn the frickin' music down so you can hear the roar of the train.

He murdered all those people.

Edited by NCC1701A

"...a passenger train from Ubon Ratchathani rammed at the truck at a railway crossing..."

A bit of misinformation and shoddy reporting again. The train did not ram the truck. The truck cut off the train. It was a freakin' railway crossing!!! Like look both ways, listen for a whistle or the rumbling of the train. One crash like this could cause dozens of lives if the train goes off track and rolls over. It doesn't matter how many amulets you have hanging from your rear view mirror, around your neck and in your pockets. If you think you can drive without taking caution and are oblivious to the dangers of the road, you will find out very soon if reincarnation is real. Hopefully your stupidity and total lack of responsibility won't take any innocent lives along with yours. Unfortunately, this time it did.

Edited by jaltsc

"...a passenger train from Ubon Ratchathani rammed at the truck at a railway crossing..."

A bit of misinformation and shoddy reporting again. The train did not ram the truck. The truck cut off the train. It was a freakin' railway crossing!!! Like look both ways, listen for a whistle or the rumbling of the train. One crash like this could cause dozens of lives if the train goes off track and rolls over. It doesn't matter how many amulets you have hanging from your rear view mirror, around your neck and in your pockets. If you think you can drive without taking caution and are oblivious to the dangers of the road, you will find out very soon if reincarnation is real. Hopefully your stupidity and total lack of responsibility won't take any innocent lives along with yours. Unfortunately, this time it did.

The information in the report was correct and the reporting (not that that ever needs critiques from ThaiVisa posters) did not warrant being called shoddy.

Just wait till they get those really fast trains from China,

I suppose the drivers last words were "I can make it across"

RIP driver,but should have had more sense.

regards Worgeordie

I've been on that train and you could get off at the front have a cup of tea and still get back on the rear carriage.

The days go by but the story remains the same. Another day and another death with no changes

made to improve safety. coffee1.gif

Changes made to improve safety? If you drive onto a level crossing in front of a train without looking, then no amount of changes will help, unless I suppose you stop running trains!

The article said the train was approaching at full speed. I still don't think that is very fast. Do the trains even consider sounding the horn as they approach crossings? Are the crossings even marked for the train operators to see? Are there any train operators or are they like the security guards and sleep and wake up only after something has happend?

In some instances a crossing can easily be unseen until it is too late. I had a similar experience last year at Ban Na Dome near Suratthani. I did'nt realise that it was a mainline crossing until i was right on it. Just lucky that no train came through.

The article said the train was approaching at full speed. I still don't think that is very fast. Do the trains even consider sounding the horn as they approach crossings? Are the crossings even marked for the train operators to see? Are there any train operators or are they like the security guards and sleep and wake up only after something has happend?

Full speed here may be 60 mph on a straight stretch. That's not very fast by comparison, say, to European standards, but fast enough in Thailand to demolish a truck, possibly kill occupants, and apparently derail the locomotive.

Thailand has railway operating rules like most countries and they are required to sound the horn and have headlights on when approaching crossings. The legal crossing, even though 'unmanned' would have had warning / STOP signs at track-side for both trains and motor vehicles to see.

All Thai trains have two crew members on the head end, a 'driver' and an 'engineer'.

You can place 100% blame here on the truck driver failing to stop, observe and proceed only when safe.

Meanwhile the train crew will probably be off work for a few days after his traumatic experience.

Here's where I believe the accident occurred. Only a STOP sign is evident, and of course all Thai drivers obey those.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@14.9637542,102.0504214,3a,75y,52.71h,84.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFm_Zd2mZXXC6QhUKuOdWHg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by ratcatcher