Double Entry Tourist visa denied in Savannakhet

FYI, i'm French with 3 Double entries tourist visa in row on my passport (2 from Savannakhet, 1 the latest from Vientiane). Just came back from Savannakhet where they gave me Single entry (reason : "too many double visa on my passport).

I don't complain much but no more "visa run" , no more double entry, what next ?

• That is not unusual.

A new multi entry tourist visa (METV) is being launched on Nov 13th. It looks very likely that double entry visas will finish on that date.

Single entry visas will still be available.

There is no limit to the number of tourist visas you can have so you could try applying in a different country.

Details of the METV and fate of the double tourist visa are not confirmed, but it also looks likely that the METV will only be available in your home country.

• Like 1

Getting a new passport does wipe out your previous visa history. Embassies and consulates have no system to cross check old an new passports.

But it doesnt wipe out his entry and exits on the immigration computer

True but with a valid visa you are unlikely to be refused entry

Getting a new passport does wipe out your previous visa history. Embassies and consulates have no system to cross check old an new passports.

But it doesnt wipe out his entry and exits on the immigration computer

True but with a valid visa you are unlikely to be refused entry

As long as the valid visa is for the intended activity. If you rock up with a tourist visa and when questioned about what you're doing in Thailand you say your here to live and work the IO just might refuse entry.

They have clamped down on ed visas, repeated visa exempt entry and now repeat tourist visas, that is telling me no one should stay here long term without getting the correct long stay visa or a yearly extension.

A new mvtv obtained in home country will give the best part of 9 months in Thailand, couple that with a local obtained single entry tourist visa and you have almost a year. Enough time for most Tourists, it seems to me that any longer and more than likely they will be working, or if they have enough money to live on from abroad then a 5 yearly visa for 500,00 baht will do the job nicely

• Like 1

Hello Seb,

I'm french and in kind of same situation so this info is quite useful.

Just wanted to ask you if they were back to back, and if other farangs there had the same problem the same day ?

Did they reject you directly when you applied ? Did you get to pay 1000 B ?

They have clamped down on ed visas, repeated visa exempt entry and now repeat tourist visas, that is telling me no one should stay here long term without getting the correct long stay visa or a yearly extension.

A new mvtv obtained in home country will give the best part of 9 months in Thailand, couple that with a local obtained single entry tourist visa and you have almost a year. Enough time for most Tourists, it seems to me that any longer and more than likely they will be working, or if they have enough money to live on from abroad then a 5 yearly visa for 500,00 baht will do the job nicely

"A new mvtv obtained in home country will give the best part of 9 months in Thailand"

I assume you mean a METV.

I can't recall reading about how it will work. I don't plan on ever using a tourist visa, but out of curiosity ... Do you get a new, extended permission to stay every time you enter (similar to using a valid O-A visa to enter) or is your stay limited to a total of six months from your first entry? Can you get a 30 day extension of stay at immigrations as you can with a single entry tourist visa?

In Canada now, with a triple entry 60-day visa in hand, along with a NOV. 3 to MAR. 29 return air ticket.

Will need to get my multiple entries stamped twice at Mae Sai like I did last year to renew my 60x2 days in Thailand to catch my March flight home.

The way I read some of these posts, some Thai border guard is going to tell me my multiple entries are now NFG?

Surely they would honor such existing legit-issued visas, and not stick it to such as I?sad.png

(I'm 71, so not doing drug runs, and clearly too decrepit to be hired by any Thai).

Off topic reply sorry.

I read several times a new passport because the Embassy/Consulate can not check.

In my Dutch passport on the page next ID details it clearly says: This passport has been issued to replace passport no: ..........(old passport nr)

So if they have copy of old passport and have records on name or passport details it is possible to check old passport.

• Like 1

In Canada now, with a triple entry 60-day visa in hand, along with a NOV. 3 to MAR. 29 return air ticket.

Will need to get my multiple entries stamped twice at Mae Sai like I did last year to renew my 60x2 days in Thailand to catch my March flight home.

The way I read some of these posts, some Thai border guard is going to tell me my multiple entries are now NFG?

Surely they would honor such existing legit-issued visas, and not stick it to such as I?sad.png

(I'm 71, so not doing drug runs, and clearly too decrepit to be hired by any Thai).

"The way I read some of these posts, some Thai border guard is going to tell me my multiple entries are now NFG?"

No. The issue is about embassies issuing 2 or 3 entry visas, not immigrations at a border refusing them.

The O/P was indicating that he could only get a new single entry tourist visa ... which apparently is the case now or soon in many embassies/consulates.

If you have been issued a double or triple entry visa, there's no reason why it would not be honored at a border. So you should be good to go, although next time you apply for a tourist visa you may only have the option to get a single entry tourist visa or the new multi-entry visa.

Will need to get my multiple entries stamped twice at Mae Sai

The term multi-entry visa is not usually applied to a visa that allows two or three entries. Multi-entry visas allow the holder to exit and enter as often as he likes while the visa remains valid, whereas a two or three entry visa allows only two or three entries before the visa expires. To manage more entries you would need to obtain a re-entry permit.

• Like 2

"The way I read some of these posts, some Thai border guard is going to tell me my multiple entries are now NFG?"

No. The issue is about embassies issuing 2 or 3 entry visas, not immigrations at a border refusing them.

The O/P was indicating that he could only get a new single entry tourist visa ... which apparently is the case now or soon in many embassies/consulates.

If you have been issued a double or triple entry visa, there's no reason why it would not be honored at a border. So you should be good to go, although next time you apply for a tourist visa you may only have the option to get a single entry tourist visa or the new multi-entry visa.

Will need to get my multiple entries stamped twice at Mae Sai

The term multi-entry visa is not usually applied to a visa that allows two or three entries. Multi-entry visas allow the holder to exit and enter as often as he likes while the visa remains valid, whereas a two or three entry visa allows only two or three entries before the visa expires. To manage more entries you would need to obtain a re-entry permit.

thanx--breathing easier already

Hello Seb,

I'm french and in kind of same situation so this info is quite useful.

Just wanted to ask you if they were back to back, and if other farangs there had the same problem the same day ?

Did they reject you directly when you applied ? Did you get to pay 1000 B ?

Yes they were back to back. Two other farangs got a double but it was there first visa. Don't know about the other

They rejected when i applied, so i paid 1000b.

Thaiwai

a new metv would have to be renewed every 9 months or so,if entry was made just before expiry date, thats less trips per 60 months, and an elite visa would be good for 6 years if entry was made just before expiry date. ( as far as i know)

But the point i was making is that too many people have over the years, exploited the various visas ie. ed visas and back to back visa exempt, to stay in Thailand for long periods, without there being in place a suitable visa to cover these long stays,by these people. its now the turn of the double and triple entry tourist visa, so they would seem to have clamped down by making these metv only available in home countries, and increasing the cost,in my opinion the reason for all these clamp downs, is to stop the long time stayers who are likely to be working illegally, if not then they may well have suitable incomes from abroad, which allow them to remain in Thailand, so the elite visa is there for them.

So a year if well long enough for any tourist to stay in Thailand, and if anyone wants to stay longer buy an elite visa, regardless of your age. The choices are simple, sail close to the wind using the latest work around, go home, get a long term suitable visa/yearly extension. or failing all else get an elite visa.

All the people staying in Thailand using dodgy methods cause grief for the genuine stayers.

All the people staying in Thailand using dodgy methods cause grief for the genuine stayers.

So lets get rid of all Cambodians working in building sites for the men and shops for women,, all the Filipinos working as teachers and in hotels, all the Burmese maids, all the illegal fishermen, all the Pakistani selling suits, all the Indians working in restaurants, all the Vietnamese working in markets and travel agencies, and obviously all the farangs teaching English.

You might find yourself running out of workforce....

• Like 2

Just came back with 3 entry visa in my EU passport which I got in my country without problems for 90 EUR. I switched from ED visa I used for staying in TH 18 months. At Suvarnabumi Airport border control I was questioned 10 minutes if I am working in TH. Was not a pleasant interrogation but finally nice boss decided I can get stamp after showing them pictures of my girlfriend and child. I do not understand on base of what they can accuse you of working in TH at the border control. I am not practicing any kind of illegal work here just have money earned from my business. I can expect more interrogations at every entry until I reach 50.

Ddm

After spending 18 months using "ED" visas/extensions and then immediately following up with a triple entry tourist visa probably caused the Immigration Officer to wonder what, exactly, you are doing in Thailand.

If you were to legitimise your fatherhood a more appropriate visa/extension of stay could be obtained.

Edited by oncearugge

Just came back with 3 entry visa in my EU passport which I got in my country without problems for 90 EUR. I switched from ED visa I used for staying in TH 18 months. At Suvarnabumi Airport border control I was questioned 10 minutes if I am working in TH. Was not a pleasant interrogation but finally nice boss decided I can get stamp after showing them pictures of my girlfriend and child. I do not understand on base of what they can accuse you of working in TH at the border control. I am not practicing any kind of illegal work here just have money earned from my business. I can expect more interrogations at every entry until I reach 50.

If it's your child, why not get a multi entry Non imm type O?

Much easier

• 2 months later...

Much easier

I just spoke with someone who uses O visas for reason of supporting Thai child, and he says Savannakhet won't issue a multiple entry O, only a single entry O for that reason. Not sure if this applies to other Thai consulates. Can get a multiple-entry O for reason of marriage to a Thai citizen.

Much easier

I just spoke with someone who uses O visas for reason of supporting Thai child, and he says Savannakhet won't issue a multiple entry O, only a single entry O for that reason. Not sure if this applies to other Thai consulates. Can get a multiple-entry O for reason of marriage to a Thai citizen.

They will do a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai at Savannakhet if you prove you are living together as a family (de facto marriage) by having the child and their mother with you when you apply for the visa.