How To Write Multiple Data Sessions To Cd / Dvd ?

Trevor

But the previous sessions are on there as the disk gets filled up!

Why does running d: in xp not show ALL the data?

This is a problem which has suddenly cropped up. Could something have become corrupted on my system?

Thanks.

This is a problem which has suddenly cropped up. Could something have become corrupted on my system?

Thanks.

I dont think its corruption on your sys, is this a repeat prob for all new similar tasks?

Thanks.

Any chance you forgot to select the check box/option in your burner software to "enable multisession" mode. Need to be sure it is enabled everytime or you will see the symptoms you are having.

To answer your questions :

1) This only occurs when writing files to disk.

2) The box to finalize the disk is unchecked (Cheetah DVD burner).

Additionally, my xp image writing software (I'm dealing with image files exclusively) will only copy the pictures, but refuses to write them to CD. It opens a window warning the CD is full or unusable when it is flawless. Cheetah writes CDs or DVDs but I can never open previous sessions again after the last one is written. Hence very wasteful of disks!

XP can read a multisession DVD but win 98 and before can't, nor off the top of my head can WIn 2000.

There is also a problem with definition of multisession as, to the best of my knowledge, there are two ways of making a multisession DVD and two flavour's of DVD that can't be multisession (Video and ISO). It is possible that you have made a multi session DVD using a method that can't be read by Windows.

Previous sessions are always there, but it seems that you can't read the linked directory structure - the computer has to read the first directory and then the link to the second directory and so on, the final directory struture should contain all the information to recover files from all the sessions. If the computer does not read the directory information it can't recover the files - but the files never 'go away' like they do on the hard disc.

There are programs that can recover individual sessions, but the one I use is not free and not worth paying for for just one or two problems