Passport got washed, next steps?

I unfortunately had this bad experience last year: my gf washed my clothe without notice with my french passport inside. It was the day I have to leave the country and I had a big problem because the flight company refuse to let me register for my flight to Houston. All ink visa stamp are always readable but they refuse to let me get my flight to USA (even i show them my permanent resident card, my driver license & SSN).

They argue that a "WASHED" passport maybe a FALSE passport. Luckily at BKK airport, there have 2 officers who can decide in this case if the passport is authentic or not, it took little long time to find them but finally they come just in time to judge the authenticity of the passport, finally let me come back home.

All of this to say, the flight company will make maybe more problem for you than the new stamps you try to get at thai immigration office.

And now, i think i will take very care of my passport not be washed again, my next flight to BKK is for this december with a very very new passport from french embassy at Houston, lot of place for new visa stamps.

• Like 2

I read that visas cannot be transferred into a new passport but the old passport can still be used, would this still be the case for my passport?

About ten years ago I had to replace an expiring passport (US) in Bangkok. When I picked up the new passport I was given some forms that were already filled in and instructed to go to the imm. office (Soi Suan Pru, in those days). I can't recall if I was on an entry permit or 4-month tourist visa at the time.

----------------------------

For a U.S. passport you can get a new passport at the U.S. embassy in Bangkok if yours is damaged or defaced.

However it must be identifiable as a valid U.S. passport before they will even try to initiate a new passport.

If the numbers are valid, they will be in the database, and a new one can be initiated on proof of your I.D. (photo I.D.).

They will tell you it will take 2 weeks or more to get your new passport but I renewed my U.S. passport in June 2015,and it took only 9 days for me to get the new one.(they may give you a receipt to show in place of your old passport to show while your new passport is being processed)

The U.S. embassy will give you a form letter to take to the immigration in Bangkok to transfer your current visa there.

You will need to go to immigration ,get a queue number, and wait until your number is called. The process of transferring your current visa to your new passport takesabou15 or 20 minutes at immigration once your number is first called.

Your old visa is not actually transferred, but they make an entry that immigration saw and verified your old visa, and they stamp that entry.

Once you have done that you can use your new passport for exit or entry at the airport.

I usually carry the old cancelled passport also, but my new one worked perfectly well.

Very informative

Well written mate

Your best bet is to ask for an extension (tell them that the new passport application is pending), then apply for the new passport, and finally transfer the current entry stamp and perhaps the visa into it (this requires an embassy-issued letter asking immigration to do so).

If Thai immigration refuses to put an extension into your damaged passport, one way to stay legal is to get an limited-validity emergency passport. Ask the UK embassy about it, you might be able to get your stamp transferred into that, and the extension issued on it, until you obtain the permanent passport.

Emergency passport issued by UK Embassy will only be Issued if one has to travel within the next 5 working days.

I am not sure if the following is still valid. I certainly know it used to be so.

It is valid for travel through 5 countries maximum, last entry must be country of legal residence.

Note: Visa exemption (VOA?) + 30 day extension should buy you enough time until new passport comes in.

Current passport processing time is 4 weeks from reception at Liverpool. Takes 1.5 days to get there, 1.5 to get it back. I know I very recently processed a new

passport. You might make it by skin of your teeth. Getting Emergency appointment at Trendy can be done same day..so do it now! call / email them!

However you may/will have difficulty obtaining a new passport from abroad as you you have to provide bona fide proof of address in the country you are applying from (Thailand, Duh!) I used a letter from bank, and a letter from immigration confirming my address. Anything in Thai you will have to translate into English.

Kasikorn will give you a letter confirming your Thai address in English. Took me a day to get and 3 staff +help from their call centre while in my local branch! (T.I.T....<deleted>)

Also do have a look around for the receipt from the embassy or consulate that issued your visa. It usually has your details on it like Visa number, date of issue, type, fee paid and so on. It may assist you in getting a replacement visa.

Good luck.

Update!

Applied fora new UK passport last Tuesday..It is ready for collection in Bangkok Today! so 9 days is the current processing time from application to recieving in your hand!

Your best bet is to ask for an extension (tell them that the new passport application is pending), then apply for the new passport, and finally transfer the current entry stamp and perhaps the visa into it (this requires an embassy-issued letter asking immigration to do so).

If Thai immigration refuses to put an extension into your damaged passport, one way to stay legal is to get an limited-validity emergency passport. Ask the UK embassy about it, you might be able to get your stamp transferred into that, and the extension issued on it, until you obtain the permanent passport.

Emergency passport issued by UK Embassy will only be Issued if one has to travel within the next 5 working days.

I am not sure if the following is still valid. I certainly know it used to be so.

It is valid for travel through 5 countries maximum, last entry must be country of legal residence.

Note: Visa exemption (VOA?) + 30 day extension should buy you enough time until new passport comes in.

Current passport processing time is 4 weeks from reception at Liverpool. Takes 1.5 days to get there, 1.5 to get it back. I know I very recently processed a new

passport. You might make it by skin of your teeth. Getting Emergency appointment at Trendy can be done same day..so do it now! call / email them!

However you may/will have difficulty obtaining a new passport from abroad as you you have to provide bona fide proof of address in the country you are applying from (Thailand, Duh!) I used a letter from bank, and a letter from immigration confirming my address. Anything in Thai you will have to translate into English.

Kasikorn will give you a letter confirming your Thai address in English. Took me a day to get and 3 staff +help from their call centre while in my local branch! (T.I.T....<deleted>)

Also do have a look around for the receipt from the embassy or consulate that issued your visa. It usually has your details on it like Visa number, date of issue, type, fee paid and so on. It may assist you in getting a replacement visa.

Good luck.

Update!

Applied fora new UK passport last Tuesday..It is ready for collection in Bangkok Today! so 9 days is the current processing time from application to recieving in your hand!

I also applied Tuesday funnily enough, not heard anything yet though. Did they email or call you?

Rinse and repeat?

No, just one rinse and then spin-dried. biggrin.png

I did dunk a passport into the sea once, which was inside a bumbag, when stepping off a boat to go ashore. It was wrinkled but still usable.

Edited by tropo