Opinion: War on drugs in Phuket needs to be re-evaluated

rooster59

Opinion: War on drugs in Phuket needs to be re-evaluated

1446260519_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Drug arrests are among our most common daily headlines, second perhaps only to traffic accidents. Rarely does a few days go by in which local police do not proudly show off their latest drug bust.

But such photo ops to name and shame mostly small-fry mules and consumers – of meth, kratom and cannabis, in that order of frequency – do little if anything to curb the drug problem. And yet still active on our website are the “hang ‘em high” lot, who believe that strict suppression policies are key to tackling the drug epidemic.

Needless to say, Thai prisons are overcrowded with drug offenders, and though “rehabilitation” centres continue to receive a limitless supply of patients, drug use and related arrests aren’t on the decline.

So it should come as a little surprise that a majority of respondents to a recent poll by The Phuket Newsthink that the “War on Drugs” needs to be re-evaluated.

Read more...http://www.thephuketnews.com/opinion-war-on-drugs-in-phuket-needs-to-be-re-evaluated-54760.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-01

Why is any police time spent on kratom leaves. It's a ridiculous waste of time. Marijuana? Ye gods, the BIB don't have something better to do?

Yes Meth is an big issue. It's all over the joint. I rarely see them going after the big dealers. It's always the little guys, the street dealers. It's a pathetic drug policy.

Why is any police time spent on kratom leaves. It's a ridiculous waste of time. Marijuana? Ye gods, the BIB don't have something better to do?

Yes Meth is an big issue. It's all over the joint. I rarely see them going after the big dealers. It's always the little guys, the street dealers. It's a pathetic drug policy.

There's big money in confiscating evidence. It can be sold and it can be planted on innocents, to extort bribes.

30 years from now historians will look back on this time period (60's till now) with a shaking of their heads. They'll say " didn't they have the insight to look back in time to the American alcohol prohibition, which led to some of the strongest criminal organizations in our history?" Thailand only has took back to 2003 when the 'war on drugs' was claiming up to 200 deaths a month. If the extrajudicial killings didn't quell the market what makes them think that filling prisons with users and mules will? And unless China rids itself of its rampant corruption and kills off the precusor manufacturing/methamphetamine production, S.E. Asia will be awash in ya ice forever. So, it's definitely time to start to look at this as a medical/social issue rather than a criminal/incarceration action or the prison construction business will outpace the tourism industry.

They need to send an envoy to Portugal to see how they solved their drug problem and cut addiction by more then half. They treated it as a health issue instead of creating fodder for for-profit prisons like they do in the U.S.

They should also go visit Colorado where drunk driving accidents are down substantially, prescription drug overdoses are down over 25%, hard drug use is down and the state has more tax money than they know what to do with.

Too bad more states haven't legalized yet so they don't come away with the impression that Colorado is to pot what Vegas is to gambling. If there are only a couple legal states serving the entire country of course there will be more pot smokers visiting a free state. If it was legal in the whole country it would be less prevalent than alc

They need to send an envoy to Portugal to see how they solved their drug problem and cut addiction by more then half. They treated it as a health issue instead of creating fodder for for-profit prisons like they do in the U.S.

They should also go visit Colorado where drunk driving accidents are down substantially, prescription drug overdoses are down over 25%, hard drug use is down and the state has more tax money than they know what to do with.

Too bad more states haven't legalized yet so they don't come away with the impression that Colorado is to pot what Vegas is to gambling. If there are only a couple legal states serving the entire country of course there will be more pot smokers visiting a free state. If it was legal in the whole country it would be less prevalent than alc

While I agree with you about legalizing marijuana and treating addiction as a medical problem, meth seems to be a real scourge on societies. California made drugs a catch and release program. In one of the smallest counties in CA, where I have a home still, the county gives out clean needles to drug addicts. The amount of crime has increased dramatically, bicycle theft is totally out of hand as are car break ins and park rangers have found bicycle chop all over in our forest and park areas. Used needles are found everywhere. A reporting group for needles found in public with photos says:" We are up to 9,005 needles found in 34 months, 22 days." Letting these people go after being arrested isn't working. They can't be forced into rehab it seems, but something needs to be done!

Legalize it and put a hefty proportion of the money into an education program to teach kids about the danger of drugs as well as sports facilities to motivate them into making a good healthy life for themselves. Another percentage of the massive amount of money earned on the taxation of the sale of drugs into rehabilitation program's! There is no other solution to this problem, anything else is just prolonging the problem into the next generation.

I much prefer the relaxed attitude to drugs, in particular marijuana, in Cambodia and Laos. If anyone wants to see the most detrimental effect of Thailand's outrageously strict drug policy, just check out the overcrowded Thai prisons where 70% are in on drug offences. As somebody who enjoys an occasional joint, or these days a vape, I find the draconian conditions in Thailand unpalatable, and long for Laos to open up their long term visa options so I can stay there and still benefit from my Thai language skills. In most parts of Cambodia, having a joint is barely even an issue, let alone a crime worthy of a long jail sentence.

Crystal Meth is a scourge in every country, not just Thailand, yet Thailand has seemed incapable of reducing the scale of the problem in the many decades that the drug has been present in the country. Thaksin is perhaps most to blame of all politicians for the ridiculously aggressive campaign against drugs in Thailand. Giving police officers the right to kill resulted in over 2500 deaths of largely small time users and petty dealers. As always in this 2 faced country, the big dealers are either protected by the police or are the police, while the little man fights for floor space in sardine like conditions in a Thai prison cell.

This country needs to realise that its excessively authoritarian and punitive attitude to drugs is counter productive to society on many levels, including tourism. I don't know why the topic confines itself to Phuket, a province in which buying drugs of any kind is more difficult than other parts of Thailand.

I much prefer the relaxed attitude to drugs, in particular marijuana, in Cambodia and Laos. If anyone wants to see the most detrimental effect of Thailand's outrageously strict drug policy, just check out the overcrowded Thai prisons where 70% are in on drug offences. As somebody who enjoys an occasional joint, or these days a vape, I find the draconian conditions in Thailand unpalatable, and long for Laos to open up their long term visa options so I can stay there and still benefit from my Thai language skills. In most parts of Cambodia, having a joint is barely even an issue, let alone a crime worthy of a long jail sentence.

Crystal Meth is a scourge in every country, not just Thailand, yet Thailand has seemed incapable of reducing the scale of the problem in the many decades that the drug has been present in the country. Thaksin is perhaps most to blame of all politicians for the ridiculously aggressive campaign against drugs in Thailand. Giving police officers the right to kill resulted in over 2500 deaths of largely small time users and petty dealers. As always in this 2 faced country, the big dealers are either protected by the police or are the police, while the little man fights for floor space in sardine like conditions in a Thai prison cell.

This country needs to realise that its excessively authoritarian and punitive attitude to drugs is counter productive to society on many levels, including tourism. I don't know why the topic confines itself to Phuket, a province in which buying drugs of any kind is more difficult than other parts of Thailand.

You think Thailand is "tough" on junkies and drug dealers?

Try Indonesia!

http://goseasia.about.com/od/indonesia/a/Drug-Laws-In-Bali-And-The-Rest-Of-Indonesia.htm

Try Indonesia!

http://goseasia.about.com/od/indonesia/a/Drug-Laws-In-Bali-And-The-Rest-Of-Indonesia.htm

I went to Indonesia in 1981 and have never been back there, nor do I intend to visit again. Even then I hated the tourist scene in Bali and could have bought marijuana more cheaply and safely in Australia. Java did not impress me one bit. The recent shooting of the 2 reformed Australian traffickers after 10 yrs in prison was barbaric and cruel. However you can have a better time in a Balinese jail as a foreigner than would ever be possible in a Thai jail. Nevertheless, for a drug-free stay, I would prefer Thailand to Indonesia anyday.

Try Indonesia!

I went to Indonesia in 1981 and have never been back there, nor do I intend to visit again. Even then I hated the tourist scene in Bali and could have bought marijuana more cheaply and safely in Australia. Java did not impress me one bit. The recent shooting of the 2 reformed Australian traffickers after 10 yrs in prison was barbaric and cruel. However you can have a better time in a Balinese jail as a foreigner than would ever be possible in a Thai jail. Nevertheless, for a drug-free stay, I would prefer Thailand to Indonesia anyday.

Amazing how "reformation" is claimed when having to face the consequences of criminality !

Try Indonesia!

Amazing how "reformation" is claimed when having to face the consequences of criminality !

'Reformation' had been revealed rather than claimed quite some time before the death was applied. Perhaps you see justice in the execution of a prisoner who has already served 10 yrs jail. I think your comment does an injustice to the dignity and humanity displayed by Myuran and Andrew before and at the time of their execution. Do you see no injustice in an execution suddenly being applied after 10 yrs imprisonment, where one has become an acclaimed artist and set up a computer course, while the other has become a Christian pastor. Whatever your glib throw-away line implies, Andrew and Myuran died with dignity and courage. Personally thought their behaviour throughout the final months and minutes was hard to fault from outside. Obviously you did not follow closely the plight of the men, or you might have appeared less suspicious of the 'claims' in light of the deaths staged largely as an act of political expediency.

'Reformation' had been revealed rather than claimed quite some time before the death was applied. Perhaps you see justice in the execution of a prisoner who has already served 10 yrs jail. I think your comment does an injustice to the dignity and humanity displayed by Myuran and Andrew before and at the time of their execution. Do you see no injustice in an execution suddenly being applied after 10 yrs imprisonment, where one has become an acclaimed artist and set up a computer course, while the other has become a Christian pastor. Whatever your glib throw-away line implies, Andrew and Myuran died with dignity and courage. Personally thought their behaviour throughout the final months and minutes was hard to fault from outside.

Obviously you did not follow closely the plight of the men, or you might have appeared less suspicious of the 'claims' in light of the deaths staged largely as an act of political expediency.

Obviously you do not follow the misery and death that the heroin these drug trafficking scum and their ilk causes to the young and not so young people in Australia.Shame the rest of the of the gang didn't get the death sentence as well.

'Reformation' had been revealed rather than claimed quite some time before the death was applied. Perhaps you see justice in the execution of a prisoner who has already served 10 yrs jail. I think your comment does an injustice to the dignity and humanity displayed by Myuran and Andrew before and at the time of their execution. Do you see no injustice in an execution suddenly being applied after 10 yrs imprisonment, where one has become an acclaimed artist and set up a computer course, while the other has become a Christian pastor. Whatever your glib throw-away line implies, Andrew and Myuran died with dignity and courage. Personally thought their behaviour throughout the final months and minutes was hard to fault from outside.

Obviously you did not follow closely the plight of the men, or you might have appeared less suspicious of the 'claims' in light of the deaths staged largely as an act of political expediency.

Obviously you do not follow the misery and death that the heroin these drug trafficking scum and their ilk causes to the young and not so young people in Australia.Shame the rest of the of the gang didn't get the death sentence as well.

If there weren't people who would buy that crap, there wouldn't be a market for it, now would there? Education seems like a bit better option than the death sentence as it never has a stopped anyone from committing murder, not alone dealing drugs…

If you were a heroine addict hanging out for a hit, you'd have a very different attitude to drug couriers and dealers. It is a question of supply and demand. You make out the drugs are being consumed by innocents being drip fed by ruthless dealers. In any case, I was arguing the injustice of the manner and timing of the execution. However, as your views reside in a world foreign to my perception of morality and justice, there is nothing to be gained through pursuing this discussion.

If there weren't people who would buy that crap, there wouldn't be a market for it, now would there? Education seems like a bit better option than the death sentence as it never has a stopped anyone from committing murder, not alone dealing drugs

They won't be doing it again...will they?

If there weren't people who would buy that crap, there wouldn't be a market for it, now would there? Education seems like a bit better option than the death sentence as it never has a stopped anyone from committing murder, not alone dealing drugs

They won't be doing it again...will they?

Those two no. But plenty of others will replace them… Until there is no demand, there will always be a supply.

somehow I dont think its in the Thai police or armies interest to slow down the drug trade, international pressure is the only way it will change

That international pressure is coming.

Have you read this yet - http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/finally-a-change-in-course-on-drug-policy

I would agree but there is little chance of "treating" the addict whilst the Criminal dealer continues to supply.

"Drugs" lead to criminality, gang formation , "turf" wars and killings.

Wouldn't it make more sense if Thailand had a relaxed attitude on drugs? They've got a relaxed attitude on everything else. I'm not talking about Meth, Yaba, etc., I mean grass and kraton leaves?

The BIB should...wait, oh yeah, TIT.