Tivo-like Recording From Ubc Satellite Box?

retiree

• 2 weeks later...

ZZZ,

I just re-read your latest PM from a while back, and realize that you do indeed have a different model than me. You have a RM-AV3000T, and I have a RM-AV3000. I still don’t know what’s different about them, but I did find out on the Internet that some people consider the RM-AV3000 to be buggy. That’s a good way to describe the problem I’m having.

I redid the learning process in a room away from any possible interference, but the repeated number problem persists. The remote's screen shows the playback for one number at a time (not repeated), but the signal for each number gets sent or is interpreted twice. No work-around that I can find.

So, I guess it’s time to sell this thing on eBay! :o

UC

ZZZ,

Thanks for your help with my Sony remote. I've found a work-around for the timer problem.

It’s unlikely that anyone will have the same problem that I’m having, but who knows? So, here's what I came up with to deal with the apparently buggy timer macro feature of my RM-AV3000.

To recap, I got my unit to learn the remote commands for my UBC box. For direct control, it works perfectly. The problem I have is with the timer macro – the entire reason I bought this thing. It has two strange behaviors:

- Any channel number entered in the timer gets executed twice, so if channel 12 has been set up, the timer sends 1,1, then 2,2. The result is channel 22.

- If the channel up/down buttons are invoked in the timer, when executed they will skip up or down three channels, not 1, so up from channel 10 will get channel 13, not channel 11.

The good news is that it is consistent, and a brainstorm in my head lead to this solution:

I can get to any channel I want by jumping up or down (three channels at a time) from any twin digit channel (22, 33, etc.) that is a multiple of three, starting with the desired channel.

So, using a spreadsheet, I figured out the closet lower or higher twin digit to each desired channel.

I set up the macro to go that channel, and execute as many up or down channel changes needed to get to the desired channel.

As an example, channel 33 is the closest twin digit to channel 12 that I can find by adding 3 linearly to 12 in the spreadsheet.

So, in the marco, I let it select 33, then enter seven channel drop-downs. When the macro is executed, I get channel 12! ;-)

I tested this last night. I had a movie set up on ch. 14, and wanted my recorder to catch the BBC in the morning, so I set a marco timer to change to ch. 53 after the movie stopped.

So, my macro called up channel 44, then executed 3 channel ups, and set the UBC box to 53. It worked, like a charm (however awkwardly).

Hope this helps anyone who bumps into the same problem. Here’s what is needed for each of the channels I've tried:

12 33 down 7

13 22 down 3

14 44 down 10

15 33 down 6

53 44 up 3

42 33 up 3

43 22 up 7

UC