Buying a Ford Ranger Wildtrack pickup

Najinsky

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as the 3.2 gets around 9km/l is it better to go for the improved 2.2 for mixed urban etc?

As a previous owner of the 2.2 and current owner of the 3.2, if fuel economy is your goal and you aren't a tradesman hauling stuff around or towing trailers, I recommend that you save some cash and go with the 2.2. Plenty of power and a quieter motor too.

Another question; are the back seats really not great for long distance? Say Bangkok to Sattahip

The back seats in the 4-door are fine. In the extra cab, not so much. Depends on what your passengers are used to I guess :P

Bangkok to Sattahip is long distance? :D

Another question; are the back seats really not great for long distance? Say Bangkok to Sattahip

The back seats in the 4-door are fine. In the extra cab, not so much. Depends on what your passengers are used to I guess tongue.png

Bangkok to Sattahip is long distance? biggrin.png

How reclined are the rear seats, say, compared to a sedan? Never sat in the back of the ranger. It's not a big issue as I'd rarely ride in the back anyway. My other issue would be the general ride comfort around local roads. I'd understand it's not as good as the everest in that respect, but does it have an acceptable level of refinement?

Seeing as the 3.2 gets around 9km/l is it better to go for the improved 2.2 for mixed urban etc?

As a previous owner of the 2.2 and current owner of the 3.2, if fuel economy is your goal and you aren't a tradesman hauling stuff around or towing trailers, I recommend that you save some cash and go with the 2.2. Plenty of power and a quieter motor too.

From what I have read, the 2.2 is plenty for most purposes. Is the 'new' 2.2 much better than the 'old' one? In what respect? I think the 2.2 2wd wildtrak would be the best choice for an urban warrior lol

As IMHO says, depends on the passengers and their size and if the front seats are all the way back. I have driven much longer distances with teenagers in the back seats and no complaints. But I am 6' 4" and Bangkok to Sattahip (say 2 hours?) would be my absolute limit if I was in the back seat. I also have the drivers seat racked all the way back so not many chose to sit behind me.

The back seats in the 4-door are fine. In the extra cab, not so much. Depends on what your passengers are used to I guess tongue.png

How reclined are the rear seats, say, compared to a sedan? Never sat in the back of the ranger. It's not a big issue as I'd rarely ride in the back anyway. My other issue would be the general ride comfort around local roads. I'd understand it's not as good as the everest in that respect, but does it have an acceptable level of refinement?

The Ranger has an acceptable level of refinement for a pickup. If you are accustomed to pickups, should be fine. If you are more familiar with cars, spend some time in a Ranger to work out if it is acceptable to you.

Edited by Jitar

The Wildtrak supposedly has softer springs than other models in the Ranger line-up (and a slightly lower carrying capacity). The seats are as good as if not better than any other truck made locally (not as reclined as the Everest) and the ride is almost certainly better than a Foreskinner.

One crazy thing I did was to go to Ford and sit in one... I even had a test drive!

You Crazy Man Jase.

Are the Wildtrak rear springs really softer or are they just carrying more weight when empty and so ride smoother ?

Our Rangers are basic Open Cabs and the ride is OK but not as good as our old Tuna.

Edited by Jitar

You Crazy Man Jase.

Are the Wildtrak rear springs really softer or are they just carrying more weight when empty and so ride smoother ?

Our Rangers are basic Open Cabs and the ride is OK but not as good as our old Tuna.

An Aussie review stated quite clearly that the WT has softer springs making for a better ride. Whether it's true or not...

• 2 weeks later...

You Crazy Man Jase.

An Aussie review stated quite clearly that the WT has softer springs making for a better ride. Whether it's true or not...

Got back from a holiday to Vietnam last week and have driven my new 3.2 4x4 WT everyday since then. I find the ride extremely comfortable so far. No long distance but some very bumpy dirt/gravel/pot-hole-ridden back roads and I'm very impressed how well the combination of larger wheels and suspension smooths out the ride.

Had 5 thais (3 adults + 2 kids) in the back seats yesterday and they'd been told I was a bit rusty driving (except for a 4/5 occasions it's been nearly 30 years since I drove with any regularity). First time I've been with 6 thais in a car and enjoyed total silence!! It was lovely. It was me who broke the ice and told them they could breath if they wanted too.

So far I'm 100% satisfied with the truck. Comfortable, quiet, smooth, handles like a dream and a great cockpit/dash layout. Couldn't be happier.

Andy