AC Cobra replica's available in Thailand

deeks

The steering gear looks a older than a Vigo or Tuna. Maybe they swapped it or use an earlier Hilux chassis?

Drum brakes, a live axle with a V8 power and a light body should be interesting.

Heheh, well you don't expect much of a cottage industry car when it comes to driving dynamics smile.png

I'd consider spending this money just for the sheer beauty of it tongue.png

But I'd need to source more original looking wheels, and it looks to me like it needs way more rubber..

Yes, stance and windshield is definitely not right, the windshield is almost standing up right and flat not rounded and laying back enough, the tires are not close to filling up the wheel wells, the offset is not right, they need to be bigger and probably spacers added too with an offset change.

Edited by WarpSpeed

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if it is him, because his name isn't Alberto, but I know the owner of all the collector cars on the website and he also lives in Chiang Mai.

The Cobra is in my opinion an obvious knock off, which would only appeal to blind customers in the Western world.

Their Sales Agreement http://ucrcar.com/assets/sales-agreement.pdf says:-

1. The Seller will sell and made available in his facility to the Purchaser a fully

functioning and running Vehicle model UCR Roadster, registered in Thailand complying

local Laws.

Does this mean it can be made road-legal?

all what they have to do is using an existing chassis. there's a company in Pattaya that builds fun cars using a VW beetle chassis. no problems to register.

a friend visiting me yesterday

post-35218-0-54406900-1446778600_thumb.j

Interesting read..........I didn't know Shelby wanted a Chevy engine in the Cobra. But for sure the Ford lumps were reliable and tunable..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cobra

It's great story, not many cars have been admired / reincarnated / copied as much as the Cobra.

Not sure Shelby wanted a Chev engine. He was probably shopping around for the best combination of HP, Weight and price.

Excuse T.A. hes a Brit. This is not join up writin so he may follow. Mr Shelby took the A.C. Ace on a Little Row Boat all the way to America. There he put in a Big V8 and found it went faster. Theres a Suprise...!.. He Called it Cobra cause Yanks cant remember big words,like Westminster n stuff.gigglem.gif .

Think more to do with AC making every panel by hand for what they wanted, nothing pressed.

Saw a foto of the Aston Martin wooden forms (called Bucks ???) for hand forming the Aluminum for their bodies ... a Dying (or Dead) Art !

All the info in my link...The Cobra was a British hand made car with American engines in it's final guise .

Same as the GT40, my favourite car... wub.png

Waits for DELETED and the other Yanks to wake up. coffee1.gif

Yeah, so your point is? DELETED See the post above yours? Been awake for some time prior to your post. Besides still an American car company that paid for and approved the project and it's engineering and provided the power, it would have never happened without them and if it could have, why didn't it? No one disputes the fact that Europe was more into sports cars then the US manufacturers at the time in regards to races like LeMans that gap has closed considerably though, but it stands to reason as a manufacturer determined to win as Ford was you go where the experience is at the time, but when they put their best foot forward against the best in Europe, they succeeded. Where do you think most of the cars that run in oval track racing in Europe come from? And their technology? That's correct, it'd be from here along with drag racing as well..

Edited by seedy

Excuse T.A. hes a Brit. This is not join up writin so he may follow. Mr Shelby took the A.C. Ace on a Little Row Boat all the way to America. There he put in a Big V8 and found it went faster. Theres a Suprise...!.. He Called it Cobra cause Yanks cant remember big words,like Westminster n stuff.gigglem.gif .

Exactly.......Not so sure about the Westminster comment though rolleyes.giftongue.png .... Cobra just sounds like something that can bite you in a nano second and is very nasty which is exactly what the Cobra car is/was, not somewhere where you might be drinking afternoon tea with your pinky finger in the air giggle.gif . Ironically even that part of it was not native to the states, no native Cobras here!!

Edited by WarpSpeed

Cobra just sounds like something that can bite you in a nano second and is very nasty which is exactly what the Cobra car is/was,

Bit off topic but the Sunbeam Tiger was exactly the same. Taught you respect for the throttle on wet roads.

The real deal............With Ford 427ci (7 litre)) grunt....

attachicon.gifAC.jpg

Ford grunt?!?!?!?!

Surely you mean Ford unreliability and poor after sales service? tongue.png

we shipped my wife's 1996 Ford Thunderbird (V8 / 220hp) in 2004 to Germany when we left Florida. since then the car is driven daily by the daughter of a friend to work. mileage now 124,000 (~200,000km!), maintenance and repairs: 3 sets of tires, 2 batteries, windshield wipers, waterpump and front struts.

post-35218-0-64828300-1446859903_thumb.j

Sunbeam Tiger!!! All the weight on the front end, skinny back tyres, crap rear end suspension, too much power for the Alpine design.

Great to drive and in it's day a F---ny Magnet. British F--ny, not American.?

in it's days Britannia cars were ruling! in Germany an Austin Healey "Frogeye" caused more awe among us youngsters than a Mercedes SL.

The real deal............With Ford 427ci (7 litre)) grunt....

attachicon.gifAC.jpg

Ford grunt?!?!?!?!

Surely you mean Ford unreliability and poor after sales service? tongue.png

we shipped my wife's 1996 Ford Thunderbird (V8 / 220hp) in 2004 to Germany when we left Florida. since then the car is driven daily by the daughter of a friend to work. mileage now 124,000 (~200,000km!), maintenance and repairs: 3 sets of tires, 2 batteries, windshield wipers, waterpump and front struts.

attachicon.gifAmar's Garage.JPG

It's in your living room?? gigglem.gif

The reply to my email,

thank you for your kind enquire.

yes, our UCR Replica is fully complying with Thai laws and came along with Blue Book and Po Ro Bo so can be normally driven on the road.
Still think its way overpriced though, using 2nd hand chassis and jap import 1UZ, i cant imagine that costing more than a couple of hundred thousand baht to get driveable i guess he must import the body and that's when things get pricey.