AC Cobra replica's available in Thailand

deeks

So you had a car with more grunt than a cobra on a straight 400m piece of road.... thats awesome.

Did the dinosaur also eat up the Cobra out on the road through the twisty bits ?

Think you will find that the AC Cobra - as well as the Tiger - were not great handling cars.

Especially the Big Blocks in the AC. Very front heavy, lots of understeer - which could be compensated for with the throttle but still ...

Down the straights tho' - very quick.

TA's Poncho the same - wins by Big Torque and Good Traction

Shelby should have put a 1uz in it about 180 kgs lighter. wink.png

(Yes I know he wanted a lighter engine before anyone jumps in). thumbsup.gif

The cobra chassis had naff all torsional stiffness one of it's biggest problems.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toyota is doing quite well on the oval track stuff in the USA as newbies...thumbsup.gif

I think you mean, the NASCAR veterans Toyota hired to build their race car are doing a good job tongue.png

Their NASCAR engine has nothing in common with any other engine they build - it's a custom design for the NASCAR series only, and even then I'm sure you'll find the only parts they manufacture are things like the block and heads - everything else will be off-the-shelf, non-Toyota, parts. That's the nature of the series...

Definitely a form of motor racing where you cheer your favorite driver, not your favorite brand, IMHO. Aussie V8 Supercars is no different either - there's just zero correlation between the track car and any road car, outside of some styling cues.

Once apon a time, a bloke could buy a decent quick car, make a few tweaks, drive it to Bathurst and race.

The challenge of getting the right car, convincing the manufacturer to market the required number of homologation specials, stretching the rules to mod it for racing and the racing that ensued, created Australian motor racing legends in the early 70's, still revered today. I image Shelby and the AC Cobra served a similar market niche.

I am probably just nostalgic, but the old touring cars had diversity and connection with road cars. The V8 Supercars are no doubt way better race cars with more promotion and hype, but an element is missing. End of off topic reminiscing.

Edited by Jitar