How Did You Get Started When You First Came Here?

HouseHunter

If printing the web maps is not good enough, pick up one of the free tourist magazines floating around town. They have passable maps in them, including street names. Failing that, invest in a map you like (look in shops around the Thaphae Gate area), or a copy of Lonely Planet.

Don't be surprised if the locals don't know the street names themselves. They navigate by landmarks and not street names. You'll have to learn the landmarks to explain or ask directions successfully. Landmarks are temples, hotels, the gates in the city wall, the moat itself, shopping centers and administration buildings...

I suggest you invest in a good street map, especially one that shows the bus routes, and keep it with you and study it while you are walking around. I found the place with the best selections to be D.K. Book Store on the moat road just south of Tai Pae Gate on the outside of the moat. One of my favorite maps was the Nancy Chandler map of Chiangmai, but I don't think it showed the bus routes.

I suggest you invest in a good street map, especially one that shows the bus routes, and keep it with you and study it while you are walking around. I found the place with the best selections to be D.K. Book Store on the moat road just south of Tai Pae Gate on the outside of the moat. One of my favorite maps was the Nancy Chandler map of Chiangmai, but I don't think it showed the bus routes.

These instructions are for you House Hunter:

DK Book Store is on Kotchasan Road between Loi Khroa Road and Sri Donchai Road...... :o