Questions from a digital nomad

Why do digital nomads want to stay long term,,,anywhere?

Not very nomadic is it?

They have a long life ahead of them so 3 years here, 3 years there, etc. could be easily span a dozen countries before they kick the bucket.

Note: On the 5 NOV 2015 Kota Bharu METV Announcement posted by Ms. Kitsune it states:

Please be noted that Consular officers reserve the right to request
additional documents as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any
application without having to provide reason.
Edited by JLCrab

Not very nomadic is it?

Arranging a good workspace with reliable, high-speed Internet, scanning, and printing facilities is not something you want to keep doing every few weeks. For most digital nomads, just using a notebook computer on hotel wi-fi is not a good substitute.

Literally every consulate would have that in their fine print, before and after METVs.

Indeed -- so if a Consulate has a policy that one must be in that country to apply for a visa and they have any reason to believe or suspect that the applicant is not now in that country, they can ask for suitable proof from the applicant that he/she is in the country and reject the application if they are not satisfied as I pretty much said much earlier.

Edited by JLCrab

Indeed -- so if a Consulate has a policy that one must be in that country to apply for a visa and they have any reason to believe or suspect that the applicant is not now in that country, they can ask for suitable proof from the applicant that he/she is in the country and reject the application if they are not satisfied as I pretty much said much earlier.

So that didn't happen for all the expats who've mailed applications from Asia so far, going back years.

We could come up with 'what ifs' for everything, such as this all blowing over and Thailand giving out free tourist visas, as they've done before.

Not very nomadic is it?

Arranging a good workspace with reliable, high-speed Internet, scanning, and printing facilities is not something you want to keep doing every few weeks. For most digital nomads, just using a notebook computer on hotel wi-fi is not a good substitute.

Printing and scanning, not much need for those in the new digital world. Email or skype your clients more like, send work via email, skype or web portal that you use.

So that didn't happen for all the expats who've mailed applications from Asia so far, going back years.

We could come up with 'what ifs' for everything, such as this all blowing over and Thailand giving out free tourist visas, as they've done before.

The first Consulate website I looked at when first hearing of this new multi-entry tourist visa is Portland Honorary Consulate which again has been the 'friendly' consulate in the USA. On that website it says:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application.

They may be only such Thai Consulate on the planet that has that requirement but as they are among probably the few who has posted the new METV requirements on their website they may be leading rather than lagging.

This thread has really gone places I didn't expect. The hit the road jack (to Cambodia) is ridiculous. Obviously, people like me can still stay here under the current rules and systems in place, so that really has no bearing on the topic. I'm really just asking for other peoples experiences. But I just can't help but wonder, does it just drive rule-sticklers here absolutely batty every day they live in Thailand where laws are so flagrantly violated by the general public and even the highest officials? How do you survive?

As far as I know there is no constitutional amendment that states I must be in the UK when I apply for a tourist visa. If I did mail it, at worst it is violating a policy stated on a website, which can hardly be considered law or some capital offense. We're taking about a very small point that costs me huge sums of money in flights for no practical reason. Anyone who wouldn't even consider ignoring this proviso on a website is either stuck inside a very thick box or in the wrong country.

Random thought on Cambodia.. is it permissible to talk about how one enters Poipet by land on this forum? As far as I know it's impossible to enter it without paying a bribe to Cambodian officials beyond the stated price of the visa. Thus any talk of this could be construed as breaking the law. Though who am I kidding, I'm sure some of the members here would annoy the officers to death quoting websites before they pay the extra $5 they ask of everyone else.. wink.png

Edited by NomadJ

Oh my God!

You are everything this forum hate : Digital Nomad AND wanting to apply for METV by mail !!

We have dozens of topics hacked by this issue, where people argue for weeks.

Get ready for some serious bashing!

I would use the term "digital vagabond" but that's just me.

I think you really should have written that in green. You know nothing of my situation or prospects, let alone any of the other varied groups of people like me and presume that we're vagabonds? I won't presume to know what your situation is like, but I can say my neighbor is one of these retirees who lives much more like a vagabond than me, only recently deciding to switch to bottled water after 2 years as he was too sticky to pay the 100 baht deposit on the 20G jug.

• Like 2

"As far as I know it's impossible to enter it without paying a bribe to Cambodian officials beyond the stated price of the visa"

Obviously a comment from an extremly naive and easily duped person.

Unless things have changed radically in the last year, you either have no idea what you're talking about or you're being a jerk for no good reason. I've stood right at the border's desk myself with the official $30US fee sign and the paper 300 baht "convenience fee" sign and watched the Cambodian border guards collect it both fees from countless people. Anyone who refused to pay it was ignored and couldn't pass. It's probably not "impossible", but from what I witnessed it might as well be.

"As far as I know it's impossible to enter it without paying a bribe to Cambodian officials beyond the stated price of the visa"

Obviously a comment from an extremly naive and easily duped person.

Unless things have changed radically in the last year, you either have no idea what you're talking about or you're being a jerk for no good reason. I've stood right at the border's desk myself with the official $30US fee sign and the paper 300 baht "convenience fee" sign and watched the Cambodian border guards collect it both fees from countless people. Anyone who refused to pay it was ignored and couldn't pass. It's probably not "impossible", but from what I witnessed it might as well be.

It is only 100 Baht at Poipet, as of a few months ago. A friend tried to not pay it, said he would "just wait then." He was surrounded by uniformed guards, backed literally up against a wall, until he changed his mind. I've heard horror stories about Koh Kong being even worse on the fee.

An alternative is to get an E-Visa and skip them, but that's and extra $5 - so costs more than the Poipet "fee" - but I would do it if going to Koh Kong.

Also, have the $30 in USD, or they will <bleep> you on the conversion fee (same as Laos on that).

Just because the embassy/consulate doesn't specify that it is allowed on their website doesn't mean it's within the rules.

Maybe Thaivisa should extend their policy to include dishonest activities that lead to obtaining visas! And you don't know if it's lawful to send a passport home.

I haven't read any of your links but unless anyone claims to have sent their application/passport from a foreign country direct to the embassy/consulate and had it posted back to them in the foreign country your scheme is dishonest.

The OP is in a different situation to most as he has two passports and if the embassy/consulate allow postal applications from abroad then he has nothing to worry about.

And you don't know it's unlawful either... agree to disagree?

I know you want it to be explicitly outside the rules, but it isn't yet. Perhaps email the MFA about the grey area.

For forum suggestions see here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/19-forum-support-desk/

Consulates want to post to a return address within the country so it's the same postage cost each time for them.

I agree that neither of us know if illegal or not.

I don't want it to be outside the rules I'm just sick of you and your mates trying to justify every "grey area" with what comes down to spin.

If someone posts an application from abroad and use their foreign address then you get no complaint from me. Posting it to Mummy so that the embassy/consulate believe they are in the country is admission that those proposing this method of obtaining a visa know it's fraudulent.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

Just because the embassy/consulate doesn't specify that it is allowed on their website doesn't mean it's within the rules.

Maybe Thaivisa should extend their policy to include dishonest activities that lead to obtaining visas! And you don't know if it's lawful to send a passport home.

I haven't read any of your links but unless anyone claims to have sent their application/passport from a foreign country direct to the embassy/consulate and had it posted back to them in the foreign country your scheme is dishonest.

The OP is in a different situation to most as he has two passports and if the embassy/consulate allow postal applications from abroad then he has nothing to worry about.

I know you want it to be explicitly outside the rules, but it isn't yet. Perhaps email the MFA about the grey area.

For forum suggestions see here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/19-forum-support-desk/

Consulates want to post to a return address within the country so it's the same postage cost each time for them.

I don't want it to be outside the rules I'm just sick of you and your mates trying to justify every "grey area" with what comes down to spin.

If someone posts an application from abroad and use their foreign address then you get no complaint from me. Posting it to Mummy so that the embassy/consulate believe they are in the country is admission that those proposing this method of obtaining a visa know it's fraudulent.

I know what you are getting at, but in the case of the USA-LA, they say they will only use USPS Express Mail ($19.99) - so you have to use a mail-relay due to their mailing-restrictions. The "present address" field is the key.

I would not say a grey-area exists - either they have a rule about this (like Portland does), or they don't. If they don't, and they deny based on a HongKong present address, I would say the applicant has a genuine grievance.

But unless there is a reduction in allowances for frequent TVs from nearby, the occasional new passport is the cheaper and easier alternative - so all this may be moot.

I know what you are getting at, but in the case of the USA-LA, they say they will only use USPS Express Mail ($19.99) - so you have to use a mail-relay due to their mailing-restrictions. The "present address" field is the key.

I would not say a grey-area exists - either they have a rule about this (like Portland does), or they don't. If they don't, and they deny based on a HongKong present address, I would say the applicant has a genuine grievance.

But unless there is a reduction in allowances for frequent TVs from nearby, the occasional new passport is the cheaper and easier alternative - so all this may be moot.

A grey area does exist because the existence of rule is unknown based on the website alone. Just because a website doesn't explicitly forbid postal applications from abroad doesn't mean it's allowed. I work on the basis that it would be reasonable to expect all applicants to be in the country at the time of application, therefore, no need to spell it out.

The fact that the LA consulate will only post within the US either means they are only expecting to post within the US because that's where the applicant should be or it's as you suggest. It's another grey area and my monies on the former because that's IMO the most logical.

<snip> I'm really just asking for other peoples experiences. But I just can't help but wonder, does it just drive rule-sticklers here absolutely batty every day they live in Thailand where laws are so flagrantly violated by the general public and even the highest officials? How do you survive?

< snip> Anyone who wouldn't even consider ignoring this proviso on a website is either stuck inside a very thick box or in the wrong country.

< snip>

My first experience in obtaining travel visas was 25+ years ago for PR China where a multiple entry visa required an invitation letter from a Communist Party Official. You did not trifle with these people and so it became my practice to follow not only the letter of the law but "the spirit of the law." Such has served me very well and I now live in Thailand on my 8th continued extension based upon retirement. Even if their was a major change in extension of stay regulations I would likely be exempt from these changes.

While you would not go to jail for ignoring any proviso on a website or request for information on an application, the Thai Consulate/ Embassy could just deny your Visa if they even suspect, and do not in any way have to prove, that you have violated any of their policies or requests for information.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

So many pages..

Vientiane is great..I paid 500 baht for hotel..

The Thai Consulate is cool.

One of the guys from T.V. move S to Cambodia..can't remember his handle, but he's known as pelagic traveller of facebook..

Any comments about Vientiane?

Or wait till Friday.. 13th Nov

Aloha

So many pages..trying to keep up..

Vientiane is great..I paid 500 baht for hotel..

The Thai Consulate is cool.

One of the guys from T.V. moved to Cambodia..can't remember his handle, but he's known as pelagic traveller on facebook..

Any comments about Vientiane?

Or wait till Friday.. 13th Nov

Aloha

Many digital nomads have moved to Cambodia where the Internet is faster and the visa issues are fewer. If you are coder, you may enjoy spending time in Saigon. Seems to be the best place for coding in Asia. Good luck with Thailand.

faster internet in cambodia? perhaps if you are living under a rock in deepest darkest rural issan, however internet in bangkok puts phnom penh to shamer

Yes it is faster. It is not oversold as of yet as it is in Thailand . Your experience and mine differ entirely.

my 50 mbps connection cost me around 2700 baht per month after tax, and delivers full speed on multi threaded downloads and torrents, whats your Cambodian connection running you?

And for all the preceding, not one person has yet to come on and say that THEY send their passport to their home country while staying in a third country.

and give you something more to moan about? do get over yourself.

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_stamp - Explains they no longer issue US entry stamps as normal practice, it can happen though. Also Google it and a lot of forum threads come up, people report it happening maybe 10% of the time. A nice analogy there to how sometimes rules are in a grey area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_stamp#United_Kingdom - Explains UK nationals don't get stamped. Those UK stamps in post 48 (which you then deleted) would be for non nationals.

As a non-UK resident for Tax purposes I need to tell HMRC how many days I've spent in the UK when completing my annual tax return & was told by my accountant that HMRC knows when you're in/out of the country & can check this if they think you're trying to pull a fast one.

If HMRC has the information, then you can bet other Government Departments can access it as well though I doubt the Embassy would check, instead relying on you to make a true declaration about being permanently resident in UK.

Your bigger problem is going to be the money in the Bank for 6 months (it's going to raise alarm bells if this isn't in a UK bank with a UK address) & proof of employment/owning a company (again, anything non-uk domiciled is going to raise red flags).

NB. The Funds/Employment requirements haven't been confirmed in the UK yet, but every other Embassy has at least the Funds one & most (including Canada) have both.

Edited by JB300

Two days and counting.

Lots about post your passport, don't post your passport.

Last time I heard that could be done would have been mid nineties to one particular consulate in UK. It only lasted a very few years and stopped when one particular lady resigned.

Her replacement would call the contact number in UK and ask to speak to the applicant and try to verify their presence in UK.

• Like 1

And for all the preceding, not one person has yet to come on and say that THEY send their passport to their home country while staying in a third country.

and give you something more to moan about? do get over yourself.

Well if people have been doing it for years then I would think there would be a least one soul on here to (anonymously) describe how he/she did it.

I have only commented on the situation where an embassy/consulate has the policy that you must be in-country when you apply and the discussion goes to how one might convince a visa issuer that they were in country when they were not. The rest I could care less.

Edited by JLCrab

Just pointing out possible options for people. After all you can't go purely by what is on consulate websites. They are notoriously wrong/incomplete/out of date the world over.

Just pointing out possible options for people. After all you can't go purely by what is on consulate websites. They are notoriously wrong/incomplete/out of date the world over.

Just thought I'd point out this from the Cardif consulate:

CAN SOMEONE ELSE COLLECT MY VISA FOR ME? Yes, they can provided you are in the UK at the time of application and you have signed the application form. they will need to bring with them your passport, 1 passport photo of you and the completed application form.

The lesser spotted digital nomad will be disappearing from Thailand soon and will be relocating to a more welcoming safe haven in future or taking advantage of multiple SETV's and VOA's to truly annoy one and all 555

Many will not qualify for a VOA which costs 1000 Bht and only provides for a 15 day stay.

Repeated back to back single entry tourist visas will be restricted and currently are unavailable from many Embassy's/Consulates.

Seems the "lesser spotted digital nomad" will soon be extinct!

• Like 1