How To Start Designing Website Myself

DPlover

Hi There,

I wanna ask the expert here how to design a website myself without engaging those consultant. I just need a simple web site with some informations and those normal links like about us , contact us or maybe a discussing web board . Sorry it may look complicate but i really wanna do it by myself.....

Thanks in advance !!!

Searra

It really depends on what kind of hardware/hosting you have and how much you want to do... two pieces of software I've used in the past for quick and dirty sites with rich features are Movable Type and Grey Matter. But are freely available on the web.

If you want to home grow a website and you dont have any coding experience, it will be nearly impossible to get these types of features without a whole lot of work and a steep learning curve.

Either way, drop me a line when you get something up and I'd be happy to give you some free advice on how to improve it (I'm a former Amazon.com'er and one of my areas is creating and refining better web interfaces).

-Drew

Thank you for all your comments .... But i dun really dun get what you mean ? maybe i am really ignorant. i dun need any movable thing just a simple website, download some pics , create a webboard. I am just doing it for own stuffs. All i wanna know how am i going to start first, the rest like dreamweaver or frontpage i will consult the experts here again.

Lets say my website address will be www.searra.com <--------- how should i get this address from ? should i buy from some hosting companies or something please advise expert :o:D

Thank you for all your comments .... But i dun really dun get what you mean ? maybe i am really ignorant. i dun need any movable thing just a simple website, download some pics , create a webboard. I am just doing it for own stuffs. All i wanna know how am i going to start first, the rest like dreamweaver or frontpage i will consult the experts here again.

Lets say my website address will be www.searra.com <--------- how should i get this address from ? should i buy from some hosting companies or something please advise expert :o:D

No, you need not to pay anything.....

webpages are free of charge at some sites........

just look at my profil, weblink is inside and if you like it, sign my guest book.

All pages on my site are free of charge...

if you need a domain by your own design...you have to pay for it....

like www.searra.com

but if you accept some small ads on your page (popup stoppers will will them anyway), and a name like

www.searra.50megs.com

it will be totally free of charge....

You will get some templates, ready to use.... just put the text and pictures inside...

no frontpage / no FTP required....

Johann

wow, okay you are new to this...

Okay here are the steps you need to do... roughly speaking..

1. Buy a domain name (something.com) if you really must. But its not like totaly required. If you have a fat pipe like I do (a very fast internet connection) and hardware thats idle, you can host your own. I have 3-4 machines that largely sit idle (other than SETI at home or protein folding for cancer research) so I use them to run my mail/web server. But, this might be a bit advanced for you. I'd google on something like "purchase domain name" and shop around for the best deal.. its not as regulated as it used to be.

2. Find someone to host it if you dont do it yourself. This is going to require some research on your part. There are a lot of different hosting options/costs out there. I'm cheap and have the bandwidth, so thats why I host my own with an aliased DNS.

3. Build your own or have them install your web-ware. "Movable Type" and "Grey Matter" are web packages that let you have a fully featured, very customizable website with very little work. It gives you all that neat stuff that you probably wouldnt be able to code on your own (guest books, blogging, polls, galleries etc...).

But I think the first thing for you would be to get a good book, google a lot for some how-to websites, or hook up with some kind of UG that can help you.

Where are you located at? I might be able to point you to some more specific help.

Many of the web hosting companies have free web builders that you can use to create simple webpages with links, guestbooks, forms etc and they will also take care of your domain registration.

Look at http://www.fortunecity.com/ or http://www.freeservers.com/ as examples. You get 100-200Mb of web space, your own domain and emails for ~$9/month and they have web builders which will easily create some basic webpages for you.

Goto www.google.com and do a search for, +web +hosting +builder, and you will get quite some hits.

We offer fully featured web hosting for 39 baht a month

th.3ix.org

We have a couple of hundred website templates to suit every business or organisation, you just download one, change it and upload it again, the basics of how to do this can be found in our Support Center help.3ix.org.

We even let you try our hosting free for 14-days, no obligation.

J

3iX

Call in Thailand: (077)-820316

or free from the US: (866)999-4-3IX

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://3ix.org

Use Microsoft Frontpage or Dreamweaver...

Look for a website you like, copy the code, change the text... quick & easy...

lazy lamerz :o

one nice program to begin with is Namo web Editor :D

francois

Convert to linux open source....everything you need is free and explained in user friendly detail.

many types of server available on linux software.....do it yourself via lan.

Easy to use webpage creators/editors and all open source.....free.

check it out via free linux download or read up on www.linuxquestions.org... try redhat 9 and check out the server options available to you.

its a lot less bover in linux.....

Convert to linux open source....everything you need is free and explained in user friendly detail.

many types of server available on linux software.....do it yourself via lan.

Yeah the easy way to build a simple webpage...

Reinstall your win98/me/2000/xp to a Linux server because you want your own domain and a simple webpage, and now you connect the server with... a modem... so users can access your webserver...

Seems like the best and easiest choice...

:o

so what? if you don't have the money or experience... will you do it for free and give her then?

didn't think so..

it looks like that you don't know me well ...

yes I would do it :D

knowledge is to be shared, and experience to be transmitted.

don't you agree ?

to stay cool ... linux is a nice solution, but look twice :D

don't know a thing about building a web page even in wysiwyg ...

cannot ask to change to linux like this ... and surely not on a sever based system ...

will take month before to be comfortable with it and then think about a web-site :o

I run linux too, as well as windows (progs reasons), linux is far to be for everyone ...

not yet :D

I would like this, but it not the case, and it won't be before a long time.

linux used as a server in professionnal side, yes sure!

but not yet as a workstation for common user :D

francois

ps : don't get me wrong, I use linux since red-hat version5 ...with windows 3.1 at the time.

so what? if you don't have the money or experience... will you do it for free and give her then?

didn't think so..

it looks like that you don't know me well ...

yes I would do it

DPLover,

We just found a FREE of charge consultant for you who can help you with this...

:o

:D sure if you want :o:D

in fact it's so easy to help someone with a few mail, that I still don't get the "why" ...

if you need help, won't you be happy to find someone to give you a helping hand?

how was it the first time that you turned a computer on?

I still keep a big thanks in mind for the people who helped me in my first computer's experience... :D

francois

I learn by myself... :o

Joke, but of course I want help if I need it. I'm just bugging you because you called me a lazy lamer and don't know anything about me...

For a beginner I though my advice was the most simple, fastest and cheapest way..

hi'

sorry if it offends you, but I think that "take away" someone's else job is not fair neither nice.it's pretty lazy to do so, don't you find?

to let the others make the works and coming behind and keeping a nice background without even asking is not even polite, don't you agree?

I won't do that :o

:D experience talking ... I was talking about the real first hour I spent on a computer,

and the help I got from the people who sold me this "old" 386sx ... with win 3.1 on :D

that was fun, and truely, I won't forget the help ...

and as I had to learn all the rest of it alone, now anytime someone ask me help, I give it with pleasure, as I know that someday, you turn around without finding anything, but if someone told you the trick before .. how many hours wasted on the way?

just that :D

francois

I wouldn't think to much about it. I mean how many webpages are out there, and how many do you think really sat down hours and hours and made everything from the beginning themselves, inlcuding text, graphics, design etc? I think that percantage is rather small.. Maybe not for a company who's risking to get sued if they steal any copyrighted material, but for the everyday people who just want to get their own homepage with their dogs, cats, family, I wouldn't care too much where I got the pictures, backgrounds etc.

For the helping part... I've been in one of the worlds biggest software companies for many years helping and supporting all kinds of companies and people with their problems and sometimes even taught them everything from the beginning. OK, I got paid for doing it... :o

For my own exeperience... I did learn by myself, on my first Commodore 20 then 128 then PC10, then PC20 then 386, 486 and so on... All the applications I use, I learned by myself. When you're 7-8 years old (many years ago) you're not afraid of trying anything and that helps you to learn (like riding a bike, you're not afraid of getting hurt). Today when I try to help people that are let's say over 40, they tend to be scared as soon as they touch the mouse or keyboard because they think they gonna mess up and destroy the... monitor (they think the monitor is the CPU...) and they use the CD sledge as a holder for their beer or coffe cup :D

However topics other than computers and Internet, I really would need som help with.. :D

Cheers,

Robert

Hey peeps,

Here's how I learned to do web pages.

1. Found a text editor that could work with HTML.

2. Used the View/Source IE menu selection to get an idea of how existing web pages were put together.

3. Got a couple of good books about HTML.

4. Studied stylesheets (.css).

5. Got a good photo editor (like Photoshop).

6. I experimented by opening my work saved to my desktop with both IE and Netscape to see the difference.

7. Found an ISP where I could affordably host.

Later I learned about PHP and MySQL which are great tools for dymamic pages.

There are two main types of ISP's I've seen.

1. My favorite, the UNIX based ones' that let me do command line work and pico/vi editing of my pages.

2. Windows based ones where I have to upload the work I do on my machine. Some sites will still let you upload (ftp) from the editor itself if your editor supports that. Others are more security conscious, so you are forced to use SCP or some other secure file transfer.

Good ISP's will offer FrontPage, and PHP and MySQL support. I've tested DreamWeaver a bit, but I still prefer to work in raw HTML/PHP when I can. But that's geeky me. :D

I wish I could recommend a good editor, but the one I still use on XP has a few bugs. Just search around for "editor, HTML, PHP", etc.

Good luck, or should I say 'how's it going so far?' :o

Guest Lazarus
hi'

DPLover .. just don't listen to these dude and PM me :o

I'll do my best to help you so you can start to design your page.

francois

Not like you to be ripping into people Francois. Give a bit of space. Just because you are a boffin doesn't mean everyone is.

Do the web site for free, no problem, if you look around it's possible to get a domain for 600 baht PA now. Free hosts are around, paid hosts are better. Also just because you manually code oesn't make you brilliant, just more useful than those of us Lamerz who use Dreamweaver etc.

Get a grip as someone else says.

hi'

it looks like that you got me wrong all the way ... never mind :D

but :

Not like you to be ripping into people Francois. Give a bit of space. Just because you are a boffin doesn't mean everyone is.

Do the web site for free, no problem, if you look around it's possible to get a domain for 600 baht PA now. Free hosts are around, paid hosts are better. Also just because you manually code oesn't make you brilliant, just more useful than those of us Lamerz who use Dreamweaver etc.

Get a grip as someone else says.

give me a break :o

one ask help ...

a lot of answers ...

all in one post and nothing more ?

I don't mean that these posts are useless, far from me this kind of idea ...

but giving the idea to get the work done just by copy and paste and then re-arrange all and put your text in ... sorry for this, it does just disgust me :D

I say, if you plan to help, don't talk so much about ... do it!

I do not build on notepad or else only code lines ...

where did you pick this up?

I use dremweaver and sometime Quanta with linux, I'm not a professional, far from it.

I do not pretend to be so!

and the word "boffin" is incorrect ... take a look at dictionnary as I did because I did not know what it was ...

anyway it's slang.

you want some space .. you have it all, what do you complain about?

what nerve was touched to react like this?

because I said lamerz to one that say copy and paste?

or may be no sens of humour?

jokin' ...

have a nice wet day

sawasdee pee mai cap

francois

Guest Lazarus

Since I won't be entering a slanging match on the subject, you are a boffin, however I actually thought you did raw code from something you said one night. Immaterial. Nothing I said was an effort to get into you, merely step back and take a moment.

Yesterday was songkran for us. I drove. Brats got wet on the back. I locked the doors turned on the aircon and watched the show for 7 hours. Did 2.5 lenghts (not laps) of the moat.

Sawadee pii mai dooay krub

Hi There,

I wanna ask the expert here how to design a website myself without engaging those consultant. I just need a simple web site with some informations and those normal links like about us , contact us or maybe a discussing web board . Sorry it may look complicate but i really wanna do it by myself.....

Thanks in advance !!!

Searra

Buy a book on HTML . learn the basics and make an HTML page. You wont understand Dreamweaver its for experienced designers.

You could also make a page in word and use the convert to web page option.

However to upload you need to have a bit of savvy.

Better stratedgy : I'll do it for you (a pro) in exchange for the best bar girl on the block. You negotiate the fee with her.

Buy a book on HTML . learn the basics and make an HTML page. You wont understand Dreamweaver its for experienced designers.
oh, yes that a real good advice :D

wanna do yourself, learn yourself.

asking advice on this or that every now and then :o

Better stratedgy : I'll do it for you (a pro) in exchange for the best bar girl on the block. You negotiate the fee with her.

best offer :D:D

cheers

francois

ps; lazarus, let's keep it cool, can we? :D