Unsure as to how to organise upcoming trip to Thailand (visa, duration of stay, etc)

I am trying to plan out my upcoming trip to Thailand. However, I am unsure as to how I should best map things out. I would like to stay 2.5 months, for tourism purposes. I have been to Thailand before, and got a visa exemption, left the country, and got another visa exemption without any real problem. This time however, I would like to remain the 2.5 months consecutively in Thailand, if possible.

1. I will have to obtain my tourist visa in Amsterdam. I will have one week between application and receiving the passport. Judging from the website, it seems like more than enough (they mention two working days to process). But, has anyone got any experience with visa application in Amsterdam? I have a Spanish passport, but am not a resident in Amsterdam. Will this have any effect?

2. I am unsure if I still have to leave the country after 2 months, even if the tourist visa is granted. Or, can I get for two months originally and extend it another thirty days without having to leave the country? I can only get a single entry tourist visa from Amsterdam, since they are changing the rules there and refusing to give either double or triple entry visas, effective from the 15th November. So I don't know what this means if I am supposed to do a border run so I can extend it by 30 days, like I have read somewhere. It's all so confusing!

3. If obtaining a Visa at short notice is not appropriate, I could just aim for visa exempt. But in this case I wouldn't have an outgoing flight within 30 days, and I am worried I might be rejected entry. Both previous times (when I did have an outbound flight) I was not asked to show it, but perhaps they are stricter now? Or perhaps the fact that there are two 'visa exempt' stamps on my passport will motivate them to ask. Anybody know if this is a high risk, or very improbable?

Any help with my concerns would be greatly appreciated.

You can get a single entry tourist visa and you will get a 60 day stamp on arrival.

You can then go to an immigration office and extend this by 30 days for 1900 Baht which will give you more than enough time for your 2.5 month trip.

There is no need to leave the country but you still need to waste some time going to an immigration office.

Awesome, thank you so much for the responses. I read something before that confused me about application for a tourist visa, which seemed to suggest that the duration (60 days) commenced upon granting of the visa. I know that this is definitely the case for other countries, like India. But you guys are sure that if I am granted the tourist visa on, say, November 25th and enter the country on December 10th, that this won't count as 15 days of my 60 gone?

My final concern is, if my flights will be booked for more than 2 months after entry, and the visa will at that point still not have been extended, will they give me any trouble at the border if they ask me to show them flight details.

Edited by Astan

1. You will be applying for a single entry tourist visa (SETV) which can be used to enter Thailand anytime before the 'enter before' date (it's expiry). They are valid for 3 months from the date of issue so as long as you don't apply more than 3 months in advance it doesn't matter if you apply early. Even if you entered on the last day of the 3 months you will still be granted a 60 day stay.
  2. At the end of the 60 days you can apply for a 30 day extension at immigration and don't need to leave the country.
  3. Getting a SETV is your best option.

Awesome, thank you so much for the responses. I read something before that confused me about application for a tourist visa, which seemed to suggest that the duration (60 days) commenced upon granting of the visa. I know that this is definitely the case for other countries, like India. But you guys are sure that if I am granted the tourist visa on, say, November 25th and enter the country on December 10th, that this won't count as 15 days of my 60 gone?

100% sure. The 60 days starts on the day you enter the country.

You have have 2 options.. First you can apply for a single 90 day visa but will require bank statements with proof of income above a certain level.

Or second (I do this) get a 60 day visa and apply for 30 day extension at an immigration office if you do not meet the income requirement. I will be applying for my 60 day visa in the next 2 weeks.

You have have 2 options.. First you can apply for a single 90 day visa but will require bank statements with proof of income above a certain level.

Or second (I do this) get a 60 day visa and apply for 30 day extension at an immigration office if you do not meet the income requirement. I will be applying for my 60 day visa in the next 2 weeks.

A single 90 day visa ?

Based on what and what is the "income level" ?