'Jihadist network' dismantled in Europe-wide anti-terror crackdown

webfact

'Jihadist network' dismantled in Europe-wide anti-terror crackdown

PARIS: -- At least 15 people suspected of terrorism offences were arrested across Europe on Thursday.

The crackdown in countries including Italy, Britain and Norway is focussed on what is described as a ‘jihadist network’ allegedly plotting attacks in northern Europe and the Middle East.

Italian authorities said militants planned to strike Norwegian and British diplomats in the Middle East and politicians in Norway.

The early-morning raids targeted the Rawti Shax group, which police said was a Kurdish Sunni Muslim group dedicated to overthrowing the government of Iraq’s Kurdistan region and replacing it with rule by Sharia (Islamic law).

A total of 17 arrest warrants were issued, almost all for Iraqi Kurds, and 15 suspects were picked up immediately.

One of those wanted was believed to be in Iraq, while it was not yet clear whether another suspect had been found in Switzerland.

All of them face international terrorism charges, Italy’s Carabinieri police said in a statement.

Among those detained was Mullah Krekar, the one-time leader of the Ansar al-Islam militant group.

Four men arrested over fears ISIS-supporting terror cell is plotting kidnap of diplomats https://t.co/SNtAOmIHg0

— Daily Mail U.K. (@DailyMailUK) November 12, 2015
He was served the arrest warrant in a prison in Norway where he was already serving an 18-month term for making death threats against a Kurdish man and encouraging others to commit criminal acts in a TV interview.

The Italian Ansa news agency quotes investigative sources as saying the network was run by Mullah Krekar from behind bars.

Italy’s national Carabinieri police led the investigation, with security forces in Italy, Britain, Norway, Finland, Germany and Switzerland taking part in Thursday’s swoop.

“An examination of the web has identified people engaging in proselytising activities for the creation of armed structures, lauding the holy war,” said Rome’s Deputy Prosecutor Giancarlo Capaldo.

Italian investigators say Rawti Shax, which means ‘The New Course’, was rooted in Europe, with cells communicating via the Internet and providing logistical and financial support to send fighters to Syria and Iraq.

Their hope was that these fighters would be trained for future conflict in Iraq’s Kurdistan.

Krekar’s lawyer, Brynjar Meling, told broadcaster TV2 on Thursday that his client had been in jail for all but one month since early 2012, adding that he did not have Internet access.

Separately Turkish police targeting the so-called Islamic State group have detained at least 11 suspects in Istanbul as part of a series of ongoing anti-terror operations.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-13

Once again, absolutely no condemnation of these jihadists from the muslim population. Not a single word. It should not come as a surprise, because the muslim population tacitly supports the jihadists and have exactly the same goal, converting the country to an Islamic state in accordance with their holy book. I feel fortunate that I am able to see the wood for the trees, and refuse to be silenced by being called a bigot for having the stones to state the obvious.

Once again, absolutely no condemnation of these jihadists from the muslim population. Not a single word. It should not come as a surprise, because the muslim population tacitly supports the jihadists and have exactly the same goal, converting the country to an Islamic state in accordance with their holy book. I feel fortunate that I am able to see the wood for the trees, and refuse to be silenced by being called a bigot for having the stones to state the obvious.

Today in Beirut dozens of Muslims killed by fellow Muslims in a suicide attack. No world wide protests those are reserved for serious issues.

Today in Beirut dozens of Muslims killed by fellow Muslims in a suicide attack. No world wide protests those are reserved for serious issues.

There are Shiites and Sunnites in Islam, just to name the biggest ones, and there's conflicts between those Muslim branches.

Also, there's a geopolitical conflict about who should have control on which territory. Quite likely religious issues are only being instrumentalized for geopolitical interests which are just about money and natural resources. So, little if not nothing to do with Islam, but lots with those who want to take advantage of political unrest. Guess who it is.

There are Shiites and Sunnites in Islam, just to name the biggest ones, and there's conflicts between those Muslim branches.

Also, there's a geopolitical conflict about who should have control on which territory. Quite likely religious issues are only being instrumentalized for geopolitical interests which are just about money and natural resources. So, little if not nothing to do with Islam, but lots with those who want to take advantage of political unrest. Guess who it is.

I don't suppose for one minute it would have anything to do with "I'm a Christian, with ancestors in muslim Africa"?

Of course not silly me.

There are over 1.5 billion followers of islam. If they were all terrorists or had the same goal I would think we would all be dead by now.

Why is it that in Indonesia, the largest muslim populated country, has over 60,000 Christian churches yet, in comparison to the middle east and even western countries they have very little terrorism.

No need for you to answer, its because Islam is not the issue. Its more tribal.

In order for your theory to have legs your point must be observed in a vaccumn, instead of the non-stop train of religious violence for which it is. The key thing you remove from the observation is the only thing binding it all together- the koran and hadith! Islam requires war upon all who are not "islamic" until "Submission" dar al islam- House of Submission. All are in a state of dar al harb- House of War- until that time. There is no confusion/debate about this foundational premise.

This is why there has been 1,400+ years of jihad, hundreds of millions dead, and volumnious jurisprudence for the precedence of terrorist acts. You cannot absolve islam as islam is the single glue that binds this endless train of violence.

There are "Shiites and Sunnites [sic]" in islam because of... islam, ah duh! Muslims are islamic.

Control of which "terroritory" locally invariably distills to tribe but tribal authority has rested primarily on claimed association to the prophet for ages= islam.

"Geopolitical conflict" in the region distills to islamic/sharia, or not, and the violence to make that happen. It is primarily motivated by the legitimacy of rulers with regard to islam.

"...so, little if nothing to do with islam."

There are over 1.5 billion followers of islam. If they were all terrorists or had the same goal I would think we would all be dead by now.

Why is it that in Indonesia, the largest muslim populated country, has over 60,000 Christian churches yet, in comparison to the middle east and even western countries they have very little terrorism.

This is false logic at its best. Based on your post I can conclude that humans do not kill humans. There are over 6 billion humans on earth. If humans killed humans "I would think we would be all dead by now."

If you are going to cite a source for your argument use one that actually supports your point. Christianity is certainly under attack in the largest muslim country in the world. Church and christian life are increasingly subject to violence and oppression.

I can give numerous examples of why "tribal" is a distraction, but why? With the overwhelming data available you still can't see. If its more tribal then the Urdu tribes also have this infection, the Pashtu, the Uighyrs, the Malay tribes, the hashemite tribes, the saud tribes, the various african tribes, the white boy tribes from Birmingham, Michigan, New York, and the alien immigrant tribes, the tribes in Gerogia, the Cacusas, mongolia, Turk tribes, etc, etc, ad infinitum. If it is all tribal why are their equally numerous tribes who are not barbaric, and not islamic? What binds all of these tribes to a pre modern worldview is their core scriptures that lock them in a battle of violence and supremacy with all around them. Yes they are tribes but in nearly every case they are men too. I can equally say islam is not the problem, the problem is they are men. It has the same value of logic. This is the logic of a stone.

google Bali bombings...both events

Kind of odd timing that this European terrorism sweep occurs and is announced with great fanfare on Thursday, and then is followed by the Paris terrorism attacks the very next day on Friday.

Looks like the European authorities rounded up a small group of accused bad guys, but seemingly missed a whole other group that was preparing to create mayhem all about Paris.

Everything you said is correct, but the order is reversed. It has everything to do with islam and only secondarily with geopolitics and resources- just ask them. The schism between shia and sunni is the first vital fracture about the inheritance of the leadership of islam. This took place long before the islamic world reached its zenith, in fact early when the line of caliphs were being argued. If there were a sunni and a shia in a boat and all the land mass in the world under water, one would kill the other. The concerns about geopolitics today are primarily religious and are manifested in land and resources, and sheer survival. They are an existential threat to each other.

If your penultimate sentence was regarding the US/allies, you are again correct, IMO.

Well done, but until Europe effectively polices its borders any anti-terror crackdown is as much use as bailing out a bathtub with a thimble.

Out of 2 million + passive muslim refugees it must admittedly be difficult to identify 20 + or - individuals with a hidden mindset...... sad.png

Ending the cause for refugee migration should be the imperative......not accomodation. But of course if you point you will be accused of having a crooked finger !