Tesla to make debut at upcoming Thailand International Motor Expo

webfact

Tesla to make debut at upcoming motor show

BANGKOK: -- TESLA, THE exotic American electric car brand, has formally set up an official importer and distributor in Thailand.

Navamol Thitiworathat, president and CEO of Tesla Automotive, said the newly formed company is a joint venture between Thai and US investors.

With an investment of Bt5 billion, the company will start importing and offering the Tesla Model S, which will make its Thai debut at the Thailand International Motor Expo next month.

Deliveries of the Model S will start early next year, although retail pricing has not been finalised. The Model S could be priced from Bt5 million to Bt7 million, she said.

The company's head office and after-sales centre is located on Narathiwat-Ratchanakarin Road and will be fully operational at the end of this year. Tesla plans to set up superchargers for its electric vehicles at 120 fuel stations around the country by March next year to serve customers free of charge, Navimol said. A 20minute charge can provide 80-percent battery capacity.

The two Model S cars, namely 85D and P90D, have a claimed operating range of 480 kilometers from a single charge (8 hours from a house socket).

Tesla also plans to sell its cars in other Asean markets such as Malaysia and Indonesia.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Tesla-to-make-debut-at-upcoming-motor-show-30272850.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-13

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove the zist Tesla S the lotus lookalike.Great acceleration good range .After a little research the batteries might have to be replaced after 5 years .The cost at that time was close to $10000 .Hope they have improved battery life! Then batteries last a long time in Thailand don't they?

And green idiots will proudly claim the zero emissions, forgetting where the power comes from.

Sorry, my mistake , they will all be solar charged....that might take a while.

Just a rich persons fad at the moment in my opinion. Wait until the batteries need changing,,whoops that's an expensive service.

Isn't Thailand switching to an emissions based excise tax regime...and the Tesla has zero emissions...so why the high prices!

Expensive!!! Price is 50 to 100% more than the UK price (3.657m Baht). I live near a UK Tesla showroom. But it is still an amazing car, The chassis structure is stronger and safer that a lot of car in an accident.

As a fully imported car, it gets 80% import duties, 10% excise tax, interior tax (10% of excise value) and then 7% VAT.

It seems to me the Thai pricing is quite keen, considering that.

And green idiots will proudly claim the zero emissions, forgetting where the power comes from.

Sorry, my mistake , they will all be solar charged....that might take a while.

Just a rich persons fad at the moment in my opinion. Wait until the batteries need changing,,whoops that's an expensive service.

I think you'll find the "greenies" buy cars like the Prius and Leaf. The Tesla Model S is more for people that don't want to commute in their Porsche 911 anymore - i.e. they want a sedan that's quiet, comfortable, just as quick as a 911 Turbo - in traffic / legal speeds, and can seat 4 people. There's really not many alternatives if you want a 3-4 second car that hits all these goals - and they're all more expensive than the Tesla in TH.

The fact that it's electric is secondary. If it did the same things, and had all the same tech with a combustion engine people would still buy it.

Edited by IMHO

Isn't Thailand switching to an emissions based excise tax regime...and the Tesla has zero emissions...so why the high prices!

Expensive!!! Price is 50 to 100% more than the UK price (3.657m Baht). I live near a UK Tesla showroom. But it is still an amazing car, The chassis structure is stronger and safer that a lot of car in an accident.

As a fully imported car, it gets 80% import duties, 10% excise tax, interior tax (10% of excise value) and then 7% VAT.

It seems to me the Thai pricing is quite keen, considering that.

I guess you're right...and think of all the money owners will save on oil changes :-)

Long term ownership is now demonstrating that the batteries are at a distinct disadvantage in high heat environments losing as much as 25% of their operating period.

The battery has a built in cooling system (and heating for cold environments).

Personally I think plug in hybrid engines are smarter than 100% electric vehicles. But maybe battery technology on the next generation cars will improve significantly to make up for the disadvantage.

With a Model S, you can drive from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with one 20 minutes pit stop midway, free of charge.. I don't see the huge disadvantage.

Personally I think plug in hybrid engines are smarter than 100% electric vehicles. But maybe battery technology on the next generation cars will improve significantly to make up for the disadvantage.

With a Model S, you can drive from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with one 20 minutes pit stop midway, free of charge.. I don't see the huge disadvantage.

sure, although you better make sure that 1 pit stop charging station works otherwise your options are a bit limited. With a plug in hybrid you don't have such worries.

Hard to imagine a huge number of charging stations springing up any time soon. Who pays for the infrastructure if recharging is free?

If IMHO's post #12 is correct, the small number of +5M baht Teslas that maybe sold in Thailand will be commuting in BKK anyway. Presumably they would charge at home.

Edited by Jitar

Hard to imagine a huge number of charging stations springing up any time soon. Who pays for the infrastructure if recharging is free?

If IMHO's post #12 is correct, the small number of +5M baht Teslas that maybe sold in Thailand will be commuting in BKK anyway. Presumably they would charge at home.

I was just joking about charging queues in the other thread biggrin.png

But you never know, it could be the next big PITA tongue.png

Never underestimate the lengths people will go to get something for free...

Edited by IMHO

Wait for it "Thailand the hub of Free Electric charging stations"

i believe that Tesla is greatly underestimating the level of corruption.

According to what I've heard, they've done a deal with a gas station chain. I can't see how corruption plays too much of a part in it?

In any case, you can be sure their charging stations will be able to recognize the actual car being charged, and will log the energy each customer uses along with the routes travelled so they are constantly getting feedback on battery/charge efficiency and usage, and for sure won't charge non-Tesla cars. They are a tech company after all ;)